Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethcw_gw

Dumb question about hot water fillers & pot fillers

bethcw
13 years ago

1. Hot water fillers - how do they work? Are they instant hot water? What is required in terms of plumbing?

2. Pot - fillers - are they a fad, if you have one do you use it? how often?

Thanks!

Beth

Comments (7)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

The house we are renovating had a hot water tap at the sink. I was impressed. I'm a tea drinker, and it made it so easy. I also used it to clean a pot or pan, sort of a squirt of the very hot water to sanitize it. Of course I only used it one weekend we stayed at the house before demo.

I took it out and didnt replace it for two reasons. One, even though we have well water, i prefer to drink (and make tea with) spring water. Two, my sink has two faucets , a soap and a sprayer. Thats a lot of bling already.

Pot fillers. I put one in the kitchen in my old house 8-9 years ago. Loved it, could not do without it. If only you could drain the water too.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Love my potfiller. Took a month or two to remember that it was there and get used to using it. Now I use it all the time. In addition to not having to carry a heavy pot filled with water, is that I fill a pot...small or large... without having to bump whoever is at the prep or main sink out of the way.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

I LOVE my instant hot. If you told me I could not have an instant hot in a house, I would not live in that house under any circumstances. I cannot tell you how pleasant it is to just go to the sink, tap a lever and have my tea instantly (disclaimer- I drink like 8 cups a day). We have a keurig maker w/ "instant" hot water too, but it is NOT the same (not as fast and you have to run a clearing cycle to get the coffee taste out.)

• springlering
    13 years ago

Have been through three different hot water spigots by two different manufacturers in four years. They are unreliable. When one goes out, you basically have to replace it because it's nearly impossible to find parts.

We've had problems with moldy ick coming out at times, have replaced the little rubber hose, only to have it come back again, and when the water does come out, hot, which it seldom does, it's a dribble. Takes forevvvvver to fill up a teacup, much less a pot.

So right now, I have a very attractive chrome tschotke on my countertop that I wish would go away.

• kaseki
    13 years ago

A pot filler can be useful for providing a spigot for differentiated water; for example, reverse osmosis water versus city water from the regular faucet, or unsoftened water versus softened water.

Other pluses include: They also can have higher flow rates than politicized regular faucets. Their reach is greater.

Negatives might include: They add cost. Depending on placement, they can add water damage risk.

kas

• craig00
    13 years ago

Very happy we put in a pot filler. Use it a couple of times a week.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    13 years ago

I have an American made instant hot water system - no problems and no issue about getting parts if I needed them. I also have a pot filler and love it. I too forgot to use it in the beginning, but use it daily. Would do it again.