Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiechick_07

OK..now I have a pot filler, what to do with it???

dixiechick_07
16 years ago

My plumber HAD to have my pot filler NOW because he has never installed one...Scary.... but considering where I live maybe not unusual.....Any way, I don't want this thing right smack in the middle of my backsplash. Can you all send me pics with ideas of where to mount. I am going to have a Capital 36" rangetop with grill in the middle, so am wondering if the side will be ok to mount on. Need help fast. Please send pics............!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the wonderful help you have all provided. I will be back with more questions, since I have to make 3 million decisions a day to have this finished in 3 weeks..........starting from the gutted position....... Thanks, Thanks, Thanks

Comments (19)

• logic
    16 years ago

Could you exchange it for a deck mounted one?

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

you have to think of how practical your pf will be on one side, which side ? you would be sliding your pot towards that side for fill up; the point in putting it in the middle the backsplash is so you can access each side of the range with just a swivel.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

I just went through this!! I had to decide QUICK where to install my PF before the plumber came and it stressed me out because I usually have lots of time to think through these kitchen decisions so I have time to research and come up with the right thing for me. The placement of the potfiller totally escaped my memory!!!

Look through the FKB and other pictures online to find a placement that you like. Then, based on the size and shape of YOUR potfiller - find the placement that works for you and looks good with what you are doing. Some things to think about: 1) Which stove eye will you boil water the most on? Make sure you can reach that eye with your faucet. 2) How high is your tallest pot? Make sure you can fill it. (I packed away all my pots before I measured - I had to do an online search of something similar and get it's dimensions!) 3) What kind of backsplash do you want? Make sure PF placement doesn't interfere with that. HTH!!!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Mine was to sit to the left hand side of my stove on the trim of the backsplash...when the freaking country code dork came in and said "You can't mount that on this outside wall". Well HOEY! So at the very last second we had to change all...and endd up putting it on an inside wall to the side of the stove (there's a 12" counter next to the stove with a wall on the left). My stove is 55 1/2 inches so it won't reach every burner obviously. I decided to put it on that side because that's where the largest pot burner is. It reaches over two burners in, but it's a double arm which helps.

• theresab1
    16 years ago

we put ours to the right over our 6 burner 36 inch rangetop. I didnt' want it smack in the middle of the backsplash- here is how it looks:

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Theresa - your kitchen is lovely! Is your potfiller the Mico in ORB? It looks like the one I just bought online, sight unseen! It that's it, then I think I'll be pleased with how my faucet looks!

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Theresa - also, if you don't mind me asking - how high above your grates did you install that faucet? (I'd just like to double check the height I finally decided on!) Thanks!

• kent39
    16 years ago

I am also curious as to how high it is? Our plumber just put in the rough pipes and it will sits 18 inches above the grates which seems to high to me? I am afraid that water will splash all over the place while you are filling the pot. Anyone wish it were lower?

• pupwhipped
    16 years ago

Bumping this up as I, too, would like to have info from Theresa on her lovely pot filler. Theresa, can you help us all out?

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I put mine to the left because that felt right at the time. I didn't want it in the cneter either, and to one side or the other was more important than which side. If I'd had the cooktop in when I picked the placement, I would have put it on the right side since my small burner is on the left and a pot of pasta or my canning pot is more likely to go on the right. It's not a big deal since the pot filler reaches the center and I can easily slide a pot to the front or the right. If you're still placing things, think about where any larger or smaller burners are placed on your cooktop.

• holligator
    16 years ago

Well, I'm not Theresa, but using her backsplash tiles for a sense of scale (and guessing that they are 3"x6" tiles), I'd estimate that her potfiller is mounted 15" above counter height. With the design of that faucet, it looks like the mouth is actually 18" high.

• vivianii
    16 years ago

Love your kitchen Theresa !

Back to putting PF on a side , does anyone have it to the side , but right under upper cabinets ?? Like Theresa's but bottom/valve (?) a little more to the right where cabinets start, and folds into the right under upper cabinet (swivels 360 so this should be fine no ?) .... I'm putting granite all the way up behind the cooktop and I'm not sold in placing it on there... highest pot to fill around 12" , spout would hit at about 13"....Would that work ???

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I have seen a potfiller tothe side of a range -- either in an open space between the range and backsplash and the side cabinets or just under the upper cabinets. Mine would have been too low for my huge pots -- the ones I most want to use it with. My pipe comes out of the wall at about 17" from the counter -- probably 16" from the grates -- maybe just below that. I'm just looking across 2 rooms at it since I'm landlocked by a lab behind me and a pup to the side. LOL

Be sure to measure your pot heights from the height of the cooktop grate -- not necessarily the same as your counter height.

• caterina1969
    16 years ago

has anyone bought a potfiller online that they were happy with.i've found some good deals but i'm skeptical

• Linda Ross
    16 years ago

I really don't understand a pot filler. You still have to carry the heavy pot full of water off the stove to dump it in the sink, so what's the problem with filling it at the sink? Just two trips instead of one, but is that worth the expense?

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

1) Water boils off.

2) I find myself needing to re-fill a pot / add some water frequently - often times in a hurry. A pot filler means I don't have to go across my kitchen to do so.

3) Helpers are often at the sink doing cleanup. A pot filler means I won't have to interrupt them.

4) In my case, I don't have the space / resources for a separate prep sink. I'm really looking forward to having that extra water source.

Now if only my source can find the time to find that pot filler for me...

• chefkev
    16 years ago

If you're cooking for a crowd and boiling a large amount of liquid (for blanching, pasta, soup...) or making a large batch of stock, it's nice to have. It's nice for poaching even in smaller batches because you can fill/refill the pot/pan closer to the top without worrying about spilling or sloshing on the way to the stove. Love it when I've had one at work. Darnit! now I'm regretting not putting one in at home.

• yesdear
    16 years ago

Hmm, theresab1's PF looks really nice in the photo. We are just about to start demolition, and the PF was one of the things we deleted for cost savings, esthetics and practicality. It would have been mounted in the middle of a lovely inset tile mural of Arabesque decorative tiles set into an antique-white 2.5 x 5" subway tile backsplash, all within a fancy drywall hood enclosure. Will we regret nixing the PF?? P.S. I am impressed with Holligator's photo interpretation skills! ;-)

• nightowlrn
    16 years ago

For reference, that pot is 9 inches tall. The spout of the potfiller is 13 inches from the cooktop. My cabinet bottom is 18 inches from the countertop. I am thrilled I can tuck it under the cabinet, yet still hit 4 of the 5 hobs on the cooktop. I didn't want a countertop filler, because of the ick and crumbs I know I would not clean well.

I have an induction cooktop, so my clearance from the countertop would be less than someone with a higher grate on the cooktop/stove.