Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unavailable_gw

Broken Kohler Cast Iron Sink

unavailable
13 years ago

We have been remodeling our kitchen for the past two months and have gotten great advice from this site. I finally have problem that I can't find another posting to answer.

After spending countless hours installing our expensive new Kohler, apron-front 36" cast iron/porcelein sink on a wooden base, and having our granite installed over it two days ago-disaster! It had a spontaneous "pop-off" of the porcelein on the apron front, exposing the cast iron.

According to Kohler "engineering" it is a rare phenomenon caused by a defect in the manufacturing. They will send me a new sink ($1200) and "possibly" some money for "reasonable" installation. The problem is that the sink is installed like a fortress. We weren't planning on removing it! The engineer says that's not her problem, and we should have followed their installation instructions more closely.

Has anyone ever experienced pop-off? Is there any way to fix the missing porcelein? Any recommendations on removing my sink.

Comments (15)

• marcolo
    13 years ago

No practical way to re-porcelain. How did your installation vary from the instructions?

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Kohler's advertising and sales people claim you can throw cast iron frying pans into their sinks and not chip them.

I've recently found a very small chip in my new enamel cast iron sink. Not sure what to do, but I think it's got to be addressed. I feel like the disappointed long-time fan saying "say it ain't so, Joe!" Kohler to me is like Hershey's or Ford or Betty Crocker. It's a fact of American life. Or is it?

• oldhousegal
    13 years ago

I had a similar problem with my Kohler Dickinson sink. It arrived to my doorstep with cracks and chips at all the corners, as if the shipping company had dropped it. Didm't make me think it would be durable if I accidentally hit it with a cast iron pan.....Kohler basically said they'd send a new one, but now I'm gun shy.
    Although my friend is on her second Dickinson and loves it. My sink plans have been stalled ever since. I'm interested to hear what happens with yours.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I agree it has to be a defect. I had a Kohler cast iron for over 21 years and no chips. The only thing I think the porcelain must have had some non visible scratches I do know the last year or 2 I needed to use something like BKF more often to clean. My parents and inlaws sinks were even older with no chips or pop off the porcelain.

• unavailable
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As a follow up, Kohler freely admits that it is a defect. We installed according to the directions which were very minimal. We just weren't planning to ever take it out. The granite guys say that loosening the sink is really difficult, and getting it out of the cabinet is going to be close to impossible.
    Kohler has suggested that the porcelain can be repaired because it is in a non-critical area of the sink. I am currently waiting for Kohler to return my calls regarding who can repair it in my area. I have called them 3 times in 10 days.
    I agree that the Kohler is supposed to be an American icon.

• mcraney
    13 years ago

Please keep us posted on Kohler's response to your problem. You might want to mention to Kohler that people on Garden Web are waiting to hear how this plays out.

I'm really sorry this happened to you and I hope your granite guys can find a way to get the sink out and the new one in!

• CEFreeman
    13 years ago

I had a similar situation.

The only countertop I have is built over my undermount, Koehler farm sink, "Hawthorne." It's discontinued & they had no touch up kits.

Mine was damaged because it sat on my garage floor for 2 years with water softener overflow, crap sitting in it, all kinds of stuff my STBX said didn't matter because it was enamel over cast iron.

Well, cast iron rusts & up under the apron, I noticed it was well after it was installed. At the same time I noticed a kind of "slice" into the enamel in the bowl. It took a particular light to see it, but I could.

They were actually wonderful. The only thing they could offer was to replace the sink because even with the horrible wear and tear it took due to OUR negligence, it shouldn't have been damaged.

I can't afford to have my sink torn out, countertop ruined, just to put a new one in. I know I'm the only one who could see the slice, and the rust is underneath with a tiny bit on the not so evident corner. I told them to send it, though. So I have a brand new one sitting in my barn. At 150 lbs? Not changing anytime soon. How many people have TWO of their $1500 sinks! [LOL]

I realize this doesn't help you at all, but I thought you might want to know they do try. Within their boundries, I guess.

Good luck with your sink & contractors. It's heartbreaking to find something you just love is broken.

Christine

• unavailable
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kohler has been less than "wonderful" with me. The sink cannot be repaired. Kohler has issued a letter stating that they "authorize" a replacement. While they continue to admit that it is a manufacturing defect, they will not pay for a replacement, but instead they will only "authorize" it.

They expect the seller to eat the cost of the sink. I bought the sink on Amazon (not an authorized Kohler dealer, but how would I have known that?), and they have a 30 day return policy. (which has expired) Luckily, after speaking to several Amazon reps, they have agreed to send me another sink at no charge. THANK YOU AMAZON!

Kohler has told me that they will "consider" reasonable charges for the installation. My granite guy is quoting me $300, the plumber is $200, and we already have at least 10 hours in carpentry. (These charges sound unreasonable to the Kohler rep, and he can't guarantee that they will pay anything at all.)

• marcolo
    13 years ago

You can't guarantee that you won't sue them, either.

• mskitchen
    13 years ago

marcolo, excellent point!

• mburnett48
    8 years ago

Has anyone had a cast iron & porcelain sink discolor from plastic? I can hardly believe this but it has. There is a partial ring left from a plastic cup and a plastic scratch guard (the Rubbermade type lays flat in sink) left a line in the porcelain coating. This is not an "on the surface stain" because this is a black sink. The marks that are left are a discoloration in the coating....there is nothing to "rub off" and their product brand cleaner did not phase it. (knew that) Now they want pictures of this...ok...a black sink with reflection....another hoop. Anyone?

• User
    8 years ago

Water spots can aggressively attach themselves to cast iron under cover of a guard. CLR should remove it.

• mburnett48
    8 years ago

These areas are not grey or white-ish, they look almost copper-brownish in the black. I have not tried clr but am willing to give it a try.

• J R
    3 years ago

My faucet was just installed a week ago and I finally have been able to use my Koehler Cast Iron sink (color SeaSalt White). I’ve washed a few dishes 2 plates and silverware from making a first breakfast after an 11 months remodel. I was wiping out my sink with a sponge and dawn dish soap and was trying to figure out what was flaking in the sink. To my surprise it was the porcelain finish chipped away. I saved the pieces to show Briggs Kitchen and Bath because it chipped off in a chunk exposing the cast iron. At no time was the sink hit hard enough to do that kind of damage. I have emailed Briggs but am clearly disappointed in the quality of this Kohler cast iron sink. I had a cast iron sink before and never had issues. I used it for 30 years and it was solid. Not sure what these sinks are made of these days but for what I paid, I expected it to be able to take the washing of 2 plates, 2 forks and knives. I didn’t even get a chance to wash out the Pan I used. Be careful about selected cast iron sea salt white Kohler sinks. I did not expect to have a sink replacement less than 7 days from using it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

J R:

Hopefully your sink wasn't installed per Kohler's instructions. Pulling their specified wood blocking is a real PIA compared to a strapped sink or one installed with a Pete's Sink Mount Kit. I'd have that sink changed in just over an hour with one of those. Of course without pulling the top.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm