Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

LIGHTS... I didn't want to ask, but here we go...

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

I keep thinking about the pendants I bought months ago bc I fell in LOVE with them and they went with my previous inspiration kitchen (old world). I bought them four months ago from Fine Art Lamps b/c they were discontinuing them in October. They were quite expensive. Although they were great with my first vision I'm nervous they don't work anymore with the yellow kitchen. Originally some said they could still work because many kitchens, now, have mixed finishes and styles- especially lights.

I finally had to open 1 of the boxes because I kept thinking about them . I was hoping the metal might be light with some silver in it and the glass kind of light. Well it's actually dark metal and the glass is darker/dirtier than I actually thought they would be! I stuck a flashlight it and that did help. (So beautiful IMO.)

Here are some photos. I would say be honest with me, but I know that's a given around here! I'd consider selling them or take the loss than put them up and looking bad. With the polished chrome pulls and faucets and some glass knobs I just don't know. I feel like something "cleaner" may be better?

CONVERSELY, if you think they could still work and be a surprise element-- like a piece of art-- I'd love to hear that too! : ) These wouldn't be the "safe" choice but maybe that's okay!

***As a reminder, yellow lower cabinets with Imperial Danby Marble, white uppers, white island with walnut top....

Inspiration Photos: (nothing else purchased yet)

THE LIGHTS... WHAT MAY HELP IS THE WHITE ISLAND WITH BLACK WALNUT TOP. Maybe even through in some darker hardware on the island?

I could always put them up and change out if I really don't like how everything goes together... Or like I said perhaps the walnut & marble will help and we could tweak some other elements...

Comments (40)

• farmhousegirl
    12 years ago

No no no! Don't sell them!!!I think you could make them work. It sounds like you really love them. I have painted lighting many times (we move a lot because of husband's job). I always seem to find a light in the wrong metal color, but the shape/style is exactly what I am looking for.

It would be hard to spray paint those because of all the glass in between, but I think you could protect the glass with a lot of painter tape and then use a small sponge brush or other brush and dab in some silver toned paint on the metal...probably will take awhile, but I've done soemthing similar. They sale metal colored paint at Lowes/Home Depot, etc. I think you could really go heavy on the silver tones or go light on the silver and it would tie in nicely with your plan (which I absolutely love!).

• User
    12 years ago

Beyond the issue of being the wrong finish, they are way too ornate and fussy. More for a darker formal dining room than a bright and sunny yellow kitchen. You need light and bright and shiny. They are pretty far from that.

Perhaps you could use them tucked away behind doors in your master bedroom and go all romantic red rose or passionate purple eggplant? Make it something out of a Moroccan luxury harem?

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

I second GreenDesigns idea. They would look great in a bedroom with a few Turkish or Moroccan accents.
    and I completely sympathize with you, we all have bought things because at the time we thought it would be perfect then the room changes...my original kitchen idea (old style dresser, lots of drawers on bottom and all glass doors on top)was out of budget... I LOVE YOUR YELLOW KITCHEN, I saw other posts about it and I think it's so warm & wonderful. Makes me want to have a cup of tea while I discuss current events with a tuxedo cat.(that was meant as a compliment !!!!) :)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

As I was scrolling down, I was wondering, "How bad could they be?"

Oh.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I agree with GreenDesigns that they are too ornate, fussy and dark for a bright sunny yellow kitchen. Sorry. Perhaps you can find another use for them if you love them.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

IMHO, I don't think those are going to work in your cheery, bright kitchen. To heavy and dark....even if you painted them, they are too ornate.

Craigslist or Ebay might be the way to go.

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

If you love them, 2LF, give them a chance, WHATEVER ANYONE ELSE MAY THINK. You may have the makings of a style made uniquely compelling by virtue of a surprising accent.

Finish your kitchen, install the lights, live with them until you decide that either they definitely do work for you or they definitely don't. In the latter case, you can sell them.

I wonder how many people have fallen in love with and aquired some house bit, then had reservations, but finally had to find out it would work in real space?

From a whole house renovation, I have left over a pair of handsome pendant lights (wouldn't work because the ceiling is uneven), a backsplash worth of lovely Arts and Crafts style slightly crackled pale gray tiles (beautiful, but I could not make them work in the kitchen), one white cottage style vanity with black granite top and a white porcelain sink (too big visually for the hall bathroom), one maple vanity with honed white marble top (did not work in the basement bath), and a towel bar meant to be installed into a glass shower door (didn't read the ebay description carefully enough).

These will all go onto craigslist some weekend when I can reliably be around to show them to people. I don't feel idiotic about anything except the towel bar.

Please give your besottedness with these light fixtures a chance to prove itself (or not). Unless you quick need to finish a kitchen to sell a house, there is no downside.

Cheers. hbk

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I don't care for them at all, esp. not in the happy yellow kitchen you're proposing. I am not wild about my pendants either, but they're installed and no longer returnable. They've grown on me a bit and I'll live with them and maybe replace at a later date. But I think you'd be wise to either use them in a different part of your house or cut your losses and look for something else. Good luck.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I think they work better, if the island is black, but with the white island and more cheerful yellow, they may be too much. However, as Hbk says, what's the harm in trying them, before deciding to go with something lighter?

Another idea...when you finish the basement, are you going to have a bar/eating area? Would they work down there? A darker/heavier room might fit those, perfectly! You might keep your earlier inspiration pictures to see if those element would work downstairs. I'd love to have that in a game room/basement! :)

• deedles
    12 years ago

I'm in the try them out camp if you really love them. Worst case, they don't work. That's better than always wondering if they would have.

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

I say give them a try. They are unusual and may be just the thing your kitchen needs to add a unique twist. Can't wait to weigh-in when all is put together!!!

• splitrock
    12 years ago

Here is an idea I heard or read somewhere. It helped me narrow down design choices. Try to think of three words that you want to describe your new space. For instance, it looks like from your inspiration pics that you may want the space to be "fresh, sunny, and pretty". Only you can narrow your dream down to just three words. Then, even though there will be lots of room for unusual,eclectic items, even those eclectic items need to "say" fresh,OR sunny, OR pretty, (or whatever the descriptors are that you identify).
    The old world lanterns and the fresh, sunny, white with walnut kitchen both show your good taste. The lanterns, however, probably "say" elegant, rich, ornate, hand wrought, heavy.
    Also, even experienced, full time designers sometimes end up not using something that they originaly selected. Good Luck!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses! Especially those of you trying to be positive : )
    I pretty much knew how this would go.

Well, I am going to see if I can return them. I highly doubt it b/c I purchased them 4 months ago. I figured I may as well give it a shot now. Then, if we are stuck with them what's the hurt of giving them a shot? (except DH will then know the predicament we are in). lol

My decorator said she may have a client that could use them. We'll see. If they were inexpensive no harm done but if I can recoup what I paid before waiting to see if they work it may be a better idea.

lavender- Great idea about the basement although we probably wouldn't spend so much on the basement and don't know if we'll have a bar. Do you think 2 of them over the dining room table is too much? It would actually be one big room with the kitchen as you know but with the banquette and cherry table, maybe? hmmm. We'll see.

I swore I wouldn't buy anything too early and now I remember why!... That it often doesn't work out in the end!

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

splitrock: Your post was not just well written but also considerate.(2littlefishies does have good taste)
    Using three words to narrow down choices is an excellent idea.

2littlefishies: They ARE nice lights. Good luck with your decision.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

farmhouse, hbk, deedles, annsch, EATREALFOOD, lavender - thanks for the glimmer of light : )

splitrock- Your post made a lot of sense! Thank you.

I'd respond to everyone but I have a splitting headache! (Could go for that cup of tea that ERF mentioned!)

Those of you "against" the lights- I totally know where you're coming from and it was those very concerns that has had me thinking about this. No offense taken, of course.

I love lights and haven't seen anything to swoon over lately. Of course, I haven't looked obsessively b/c I have THESE 2 lights in my basement already! lol
    I see a lot of the same same same in every kitchen. I guess I like to have something that you don't find all over the place.... and I guess I DO HAVE THAT! : )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, having hot tea. Although I don't have a yellow kitchen to lounge in, I can stare at my Yellow Wall of swatches and look at the yellow tea box.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- It's not about expense, it's about style :)

If you do finish the basment, save all your earlier kitchen inspiration pictures and use those same ideas, downstairs. Paint the cabinets to match, or use wood and maybe black accents. If some of your upstairs furniture doesn't match your lighter, brighter new style, use them downstairs. You're not going to be spending money, I think overall, you might be saving some...and you can use your pendant lights! Just a thought.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

One of your three little words should always be "cute." Your house kind of dictates that. Nobody can possibly look at a picture of your house without saying, "How cute!" So if you've got it, flaunt it.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

No.

I tried to say "No." and then post but the message wouldn't let me.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo- Thanks

blfenton- I don't know what you mean, but I get the no part I think. lol

• lascatx
    12 years ago

The lights are pretty and Fine Art doesn't do things that are inexpensive, and they are pretty, so it would be nice to find a good home for them -- in your home if you still love them. I'm with those who are having a hard time placing them in your sunny yellow kitchen. I don't mind mixing finishes, and if they had white glass with black frames, I might see them with the rest. Shoot, if they just had white glass, that walnut, some darker hardware on your island and a few fussier details somewhere might help you tie them in, but that glass is just going to look off with crisp yellow and white and I don't see how you can get around that.

I think blfenton was saying that you can't post a reply as short as "No." Ya know? ;)

Hope you work out a good solution for them and for you.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx- Thanks for your comments. Yes- white glass would help. I have a close up photo of them from a magazine and they looked MUCH more pale and the metal was NOT that dark! (I don't have the photo scanned in or I'd post it)

Anyway, after I changed my kitchen ideas I kept thinking "Maybe they are light". Well, after opening the box yesterday that glass and metal was so much darker than I even imagined they'd be.

Do you guys like THIS? I really do : )

• marcolo
    12 years ago

It's...wait for it...cute.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo- You're in rare form today. My stomach always drops a little before I read your posts! lol THANKS! : )

• lascatx
    12 years ago

That is very fresh and fun. More in keeping with the rest of your choices and it's own kind of special.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I am a sucker for theseMoroccan style pendants, I think they are lovely. I just got one last summer a lot like yours but in Mille fiore, if you can imagine that combo!

I would almost say keep them and change the rest, but the rest of your choices all make sense together and have a totally different vibe. June Cleaver vs The Adams Family.

Since the lights were not custom, id imagine they would at least give you a credit? Sorry, we've all been there!

• springroz
    12 years ago

Those lights would be just beautiful in a powder room!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lascatx- Thanks : )

mtnrdredux- Thanks for your comment. I love the June Cleaver vs Adams Family comparison! lol

springroz- Yes, but not in my house... ; ) Meaning ours is way too simple for that light and with 8 foot ceilings it hangs a bit low.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Fishies, I thought I was being smart and ordered my pendants back in November. I checked that the shades weren't broken and left everything in the boxes (too many little parts). When they finally went up in February, I decided I wanted to return them. The place I got them online wouldn't even consider taking them back after 60 days, not even with a restocking fee. So, they're mine. They went up and I decided they're not really that bad at all. Maybe one day I'll replace them. Or not.

Hopefully you can either use yours somewhere else in your house, esp. if you have a ceiling higher than 8 ft. somewhere, or try selling them. Good luck.

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

Marcolo's right, it's a cute kitchen if there's yellow in it. I'm thinking of these Galbraith & Paul pendants. They have lovely hand-blocked prints, and Room & Board makes their lighting. This one may have too much citron, but you can take a look and see if any are interesting to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Galbraith & Paul Pendants at Room and Board

• michellemarie
    12 years ago

I can see why you loved them. If I didn't have all of my lighting I would consider them for my hall and adjoining mudroom. They are lovely!
    I do agree with the other posters though that they will not work well with your vision. I think all of us were probably a little impulsive and bought things before we really thought things out.
    Can you list them on Craigslist? Good Luck and I love all of the pics you posted.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Fishies- I like your new light...it is cute! :)

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

2LF, I didn't see your new pendant until after I posted, but that looks cheery and better suited for your space. Good choice!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I posted my lights on eBay and will do Craigs List as well. Fine Art Lamps discontinued them in October/November from their Casa di Campagna line so there aren't many stores still carrying them.. Maybe that will help me sell them. Who knows? I had emailed my salesperson but didn't hear back. I'll give it a few days. That's a long shot anyway.

Of course, I did not order ANY new lights yet til I am sure!!! : )

I just wish I didn't spend so much on the originals.... Nothing I can do now though- hopefully I can get most of it back!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NB: I could have bought 13 of the above yellow lights for what I paid for the other 2!!! (Shouldn't have done the math)...

OK, time for some wine!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

woo-hoo!!!!!!!!! The website I bought them from 5 months ago is allowing me to return them!! I'm SO excited! I spent WAY too much on them ($1100 each) so this is really a good day!

• polly929
    12 years ago

Wow! That IS a lot of money for pendant lights!! Thank goodness you can return them!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

That's awesome. It makes me think they have had folks looking for them since they were discontinued and now they can make someone else happy. That would be even better. Have fun picking out something new!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I picked up a local decor mag yesterday and saw your lanterns - I think?
    Interestingly, its kind of a country kitchen to use Moroccan lamps. Perhaps the rustic stone and beams balance it.

Here is a link that might be useful: your lanterns?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mtnrdredux- Yes- that's them! (still love them) : )