Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

10 best things you ever put in your mouth.

annie1992
14 years ago

Hush, Jessica, I didn't ask you. LOL

The boss and I were talking about that buckeye cake at Thanksgiving with its 960 calories per piece. She said that for those calories it had better be one of the 10 best things she ever put in her mouth. After thinking I realized that I wasn't sure I could even name 10 things that were so outstanding that I remember them as the best things I ever ate. My list would include:

1. Lobster, in nearly any form but ideally just steamed and dipped in melted butter.

2. Dark chocolate. Preferably paired with #7.

3. Seckel pears, I like these so well I'm gonna plant my own tree out at the farm!

4. Homemade bread, hot from the oven, with melted butter. (Anyone starting to see a butter issue here?)

5. Readinglady's pear preserves

6. Real maple syrup, grade B

7. Freshly ground, medium roast, just brewed coffee, from Biggby or Paramount ideally.

8. Shortbread cookies, nearly any flavor

9. A ripe tomato, straight from the garden, still warm from the sun.

OK, so I'm stuck on number 10, but I see a pattern here. Fresh food, simply prepared, no balsamic reductions, caramelized onions or fancy sauces. I do like all of those things but for sheer flavor, the fresh stuff gets it for me.

So, what are the 10 best things you've ever put in your mouth?

Annie

Comments (116)

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1. Chocolate in any shape or form includeing cakes, cookies, and bars.
    2. Fresh from the field sweet corn.
    3. Medium rare, more on the rare side, prime rib or steak
    4. DGM fried chicken way back when...yes they were still running around they yard before they met their fate.
    5. BVB coffee, man I miss that stuff
    6. Hollandaise sauce
    7. Hot from the oven homemade bread of any kind
    8. Fresh caught crappie fried with beer batter.
    9. A good burger on the grill
    10. A ice cold beer on a hot summer day.

Ask me next week and I'm sure the list would change.

David

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

"Sol, you need to come visit and I'll cook you one that will make you want to slap your Mama."

Dear Karen, if your Gumbo is as good as mine, I'll slap YOU!

Sol

• triciae
    14 years ago

Hmmm, lots of yummy choices on this thread. My favs in no particular order:

1.) Fresh tree-ripened figs
    2.) Fresh tree-ripened persimmons
    3.) Vine-ripened honeydew melon
    4.) Chicken 'n Dumplings over mashed potatoes (yeah, yeah, I know...carb overload!) I'm a northern gal so I like the fluffy dumplings best
    5.) Perfectly brewed, slightly sweetened ice tea on a HHH July afternoon preferably sipped outside in the garden
    6.) Creamy, rich lobster bisque (from freshly steamed & picked lobster) with warm buttermilk/potato rolls served by candlelight on our little round table covered with a white crisp tablecloth in front of the fireplace
    7.) OMG, I can't believe I'm admitting to this one...I love fried cornmeal mush served with lots of butter, real maple syrup, & a side of thick-cut ham steak
    8.) Warm roast chicken sandwich with leftover stuffing & fresh cranberry salsa on toasted homemade bread
    9.) Vine ripened tomato still warm from the sun sliced with just a touch of salt

And,

10.) Boysenberries & cream

In case it's not obvious, I love fruit & simple comfort foods best. Hard to tell, sometimes, if it's the food or the memories/atmosphere that triggers an, "Oh, this is wonderful!", moment.

/tricia

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tricia, you just mentioned the ONLY way I'll ever eat mush, sliced and fried crisp with maple syrup!

Annie

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    14 years ago

What a great topic. Here are the things I thought of:

1. My grandmothers fresh-picked, home canned blackberries with fresh heavy cream
    2. Heavenly juice nectarines
    3. Sun-warmed tomatoes right from the garden with a sprinkle of salt
    4. Fresh baked hot bread slathered with butter
    5. Medium-rare rib eye steak
    6. Green garden salad heavy with Parmesan cheese and dressed with blue cheese dressing
    7. A Thai dish called Hot Chicken served with rice and chopped iceberg lettuce, no dressing
    8. Breaded fried okra
    9. My spaghetti with meat sauce
    10. Baked salmon served with asparagus and unpeeled baked potato mixed with butter, S&P

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

1) Scottie Simpson's fish and chips - in my old neighborhood of Brightmoor...still there...the area looks like Beirut but they have always had the best fish and chips I have ever had.
    2) KFC - In Hawaii - huge plump pieces of chicken with the special herbs and spices....we went back several times for take-out.
    3) Fried shrimp.
    4) Homegrown heirloom tomatoes w/a sprinkling of sea salt.
    5) My homemade taco's - flash fried fresh corn tortilla's stuffed with beef/chicken, onions, salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese and sour cream.
    6) Thin crust woodfired pizza. Pepperoni, fresh mushrooms, roasted garlic and onions....heaven!
    7) Pasta, pasta, pasta...in many combo's...can't pick just one!
    8) Filet Mignon w/hot fluffy baked potato w/butter and sour cream.
    9) Vanilla ice cream with Sanders hot fudge topping!
    10)Nacho's with a nice white cheese, onions, fresh tomatoes and jalapeno's.

Never had much seafood like lobster or crab....if I ever do perhaps that could circumvent my limited mid-western list!

• vicki_lv
    14 years ago

In no particular order:

1. Filet Oscar from Flemings, medium rare (crab and hollandaise topped filet mignon)

2. Parma pizza from Mezzo Italian Bistro...it has prosciutto under the mozzarella with sliced figs

3. My Aunt Ruby's buttermilk bread, toasted, with her strawberry jam

4. Fresh green beans with mushrooms, bacon, onions and dried cranberries

5. Lobster with drawn butter

6. Crab with drawn butter

7. Foie Gras

8. Chicken or beef liver with bacon and onions

9. Fresh Iowa corn on the cob, dripping with real butter, salt and pepper

10. A really, really good cup of coffee first thing in the morning.

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    14 years ago

Tricia and Anne if you like mush that way I do the same thing with left over oatmeal. Slow cooked, with apples, (I'd put rasins in too but DH doesn't like them) just a little brown sugar and touch of honey lots of cinnamon, allspice, vanilla a dash of salt. Dredge in flour and browned crisp in a little butter. Dab of Maple syrup on top. Been eating it every other day for Breakfast. Made extra oatmeal on purpose. YUM! Wonder how that would be in an oatmeal bread recipe before it's fried? Maybe I'll give that a try. Oatmeal and potato breads are some of my favs.
    Mike

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Oh, Teresa, you are SO right. How could I have forgotten Lexington BBQ? Is Lexington #1 still there?

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Yes, Lexington #1 is still there - although they had the audacity to be closed the last time I went there! It was their one time of the year to close for cleaning and repairs so I went to the BBQ Center in town, which was very, very good. I forget from time to time that Lexington BBQ is really way ahead of other BBQ places until I get there and taste it.

Teresa

• Vivian Kaufman
    14 years ago

Wow,...what lists! I can definitely see the slant toward locally produced, minimally prepared foods.

My list, in no particular order:

1. Blue rare beef filet, coarse salt and heavy pepper, done on a charcoal grill, preferably in our backyard.
    2. Fresh whole walleye pike, fried.
    3. Grandma Ohr's quince jelly--haven't had any in 30 years but no other quince jelly is quite the same....
    4. My own recipe for baked chicken. Orange juice, sherry, worchestershire...
    5. Caprese salad with fresh basil from my garden and Brandywine tomatoes...
    6. My next door neighbor's sourdough bread, warm, with LOTS of butter.
    7. The thick cut bone-in pork loin chops from a local farmer in Heltonville, grilled on charcoal just to medium (even a little under is fine for me...LOL), still juicy.
    8. Grilled pineapple.
    9. My cinnamon rolls, warm, with gooey, melting cream cheese icing...
    10. A glass of B & B on a cold snowy night.

• kimmid
    14 years ago

I havent posted to this board in forever but when I stumbled across this last night.. dreamt of food ALLL night. Evil delightful thread.... so here are mine in no particular order.

1. Chocolate Brownie Pudding in my moms yellow Pyrex (memory overload).. when you bake it the "pudding" settles to the bottom and the brownie settles on the top and gets all crusty.. yum!
    2. Strawberry Rhubarb pie that my gram makes.
    3. My butternut squash stuffed shells just made from the oven.
    4. Sweet corn fresh picked, steamed and w. salt (i grew up selling corn and my grandpa used to say.. never butter your corn, dont mask its sweetness).
    4. Maple syrup
    5. My homemade english toffee
    6. a huge slice of watermelon, ruby red and dripping with juice.
    7. crunchy dill pickles, fresh packed and full of garlic.
    8. parchment paper chicken; take a chicken breast, drizzle it with a bit of olive oil, and in a parchment package bake it with sundried tomatoes, and yummy things from the olive bar; calamata olives, hot pepper and garlic, and fresh mozzarella balls, then some sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. SOO good.
    9. Slightly under-ripe pears from my grandpas tree on the farm, unfortunately the barn and the tree burned down 19 years ago.
    10. Grammys date balls.

This list is what I can think of today.. and granted many of you have some pretty delectable lists too.. lol

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Annie:
    I didn't know you liked Corn Meal Mush ( Polenta )
    Some part you must be Italian .lol

WE even make it with Spaghetti Sauce but I don't think you like that.
    Think I'll make some for breakfast, with Pancake Syrup.
    Lou

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

I haven't read this whole thread but I will name mine and I am also a very "simple" person when it comes to food. If the product is good there is no need to cover it up with all kinds of sauces, etc. IMHO. No order here:

1. Fresh vine ripe tomatoes from the garden with a little bit of salt and pepper.

2. Fresh cucumbers from the garden with a little salt and pepper.

3. Fresh Silver Queen Corn either eaten straight from the cob and in a salad or boiled quickly with melted butter, salt and pepper.

4. Fresh baked bread with butter.

5. Blue crabs steamed and spiced.

6. Lobster with melted butter.

7. Scallops lightly battered.

8. Steamed and Spiced Gulf Shrimp.

9. Ribeye Steaks cooked a little over medium rare on a charcoal grill rubbed with just garlic, salt and pepper.

10. Fresh watermelon or cantaloupe.

• bri29
    14 years ago

OMG, I just finished dinner and I'm craving all these good things! You guys are gonna be the death of me! My top ten, in no particular order, just how they come to mind:

1. Strawberries, straight off the plant.
    2. Raspberries, straight off the bush.
    3. Creme fraiche
    4. Strawberry gelato on a 100F evening in Italy. I almost proposed to the "chef" behind all the gelatos at this little shop, that was how hard I swooned over his gelato.
    5. Pan seared tuna with #6
    6. Huge slabs of tomato with a little fresh basil, seasalt and olive oil
    7. Ragu bolognese with strozapretti. Sitting outside with friends enjoying a wonderful bottle of wine in a little Trattoria in Bologna. The circumstances are important!
    8. Prosciutto and all the other cured meats in the delis of Bologna. OMG. I think I overdosed.
    9. Dulce de leche
    10. A "chew worthy" coffee from Ethiopia, lovingly pulled by the guys at Cafe Terzi.

Ok, I just realized that I should be living in Italy. A lot of my transcendental food experiences happened last year in Bologna... Guess I'll have to go back soon!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lou, I don't like mush. As far as I'm concerned "polenta" is a fancy name for cornmeal mush. Grits are much the same and I don't like any of them.

Grandma made mush when I was a kid and we ate it way too much, especially when money was tight. I'd go hungry before I ate it then, and she finally started slicing it cold, frying it and allowing me to top it with syrup just so I'd eat it. We usually had syrup because we tapped our trees and boiled syrup. I also ate cornmeal based "hoe cakes" and cornbread, but not that mush in a bowl.

I've made polenta with cheese, grits with shrimp, whatever. It's still too much like cornmeal mush and I don't eat it.

Annie

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

This has been a fun read on a cold Monday morning. I think we could attach a 900 number to this list, have someone with a sultry voice read it, and make a lot of money. Whatta y'all say?

Ntt_hou, I think you covered everything by saying all Asian cuisine and all non-Asian cuisine, lol.

Ann (khrios), next time you visit home, TAKE ME WITH YOU! Please?

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was about specific instances of eating particular food, so that's where my mind went. Then as I read, I saw how people were responding, and I realized it didn't have to be specific meals. So, my list is a combination of specific events and general foods, some of which y'alls lists helped me remember.

1. Fresh tree/vine/bush/etc. ripened fruits and berries. I have two wonderful memories attached to this (these) items. A bowl of fresh raspberries and cream that Abby fixed us from her garden. Abby was a little old lady that lived behind us in Durango, and doted on us kids, as we doted on her as a substitute grandmother. Then, when newly engaged to my dear hubby, my soon to be mother in law made fresh blackberry cobbler from wild blackberries, and topped it with vanilla ice cream. I had never had anything like it before, and probably never will. I always loved that woman!

Oh, 1.5 on the list....That time that DH convinced me to go on a 23 mile bicycle ride, and around mile 20 we came across a paletaria selling popsicles and ice cream. I got a watermelon popsicle, and I have to say it was the very best popsicle I've ever had. It was not at all artificial, but real watermelon, watermelon juice and even a seed, frozen into a popsicle. And boy, after riding 20 miles (a piece of cake for DH but not for me) it was just what I needed.

2. Fresh, home grown tomatoes picked off the vine, still hot from the sun, and eaten right then and there, absolutely no salt needed.

3. From my meat eating days, my Dad's charcoal broiled sirloin steak. I don't know what he did, I think just salt and pepper, but he made the best steak ever.

4. Also from my flesh eating days, the campfire cooked salmon caught earlier that day on a deep sea fishing trip with a high school group. We had taken a trip to the Pacific Northwest, got to go fishing for salmon, then camped in Oregon and cooked the salmon over the open fire. It was the best fish I've ever eaten.

5. Could I leave out dark chocolate anything? Of course not. Dark chocolate anything.

6. Home baked bread, of course, but there used to be a little Italian restaurant near me that served the best rolls dripping with garlic butter. We could have made a meal just eating those rolls.

7. Cheese has to be on the list, especially Parmigiano-Reggiano, or blue cheese, or a good sharp white cheddar, or....well, cheese, but especially Parmigiano-Reggiano. I grew up thinking parmesan cheese was what we called shaky cheese, because you shook it out of those green cans. I didn't even know parmesan cheese came any other way. Then a few years ago I learned about Parmigiano-Reggiano, and splurged on some. When I took that first taste, I was stunned at how good it was. Has someone said swoon already?

8. Fresh veggies period. I love going out to the garden and picking salad greens, spinach (as long as we're listing favorites, spinach is my all time favorite veggie - weird, I know), potatoes, etc. . Nothing beats fresh.

9. Speaking of fresh, the fresh organic eggs I get from Don "the egg man." His hens get to roam around, ride on top of his cows, (he looked outside one day and one of his hens was perched on top of his cow) and are fed organic grain, along with the various bugs and critters they peck off the ground as they wander. They are the best eggs I've ever eaten. All you need to do is fry them over easy on a cast iron skillet with a slice of home made bread on the side, and you're on your way to a great, simple breakfast.

10. What else could I possibly list? Can I be as vague as home made cookies? It doesn't matter what kind, although I'm partial to World Peace cookies, Lar's butter cookies, Annie's Molasses cookies, which I made for the first time yesterday (in spite of the fact that I thought I had the jar of ginger powder in my hand, added 2 teaspoons, then realized it was the ground cloves, lol - they still taste good, even if a little heavy on the cloves), mudslide cookies and other chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles, biscotti, brownies (sort of cookies, bar cookies, sort of)....I guess I'm cheating here, but home baked cookies can't be beat.

I'm sure that as soon as I hit submit I'll think of something I should have added.

Sally

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Annie, I loved my grandmothers hoecakes! When I've tried to make them they tore up. I like polenta, but don't really know what cornmeal mush is. We always just had cornbread when I was growing up.

Beverly

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beverly, cornmeal mush is a hot cereal type dish made with cornmeal and water, cooked like oatmeal. I remember it being one cup of cornmeal, two cups of water, a little salt, cook until thick. Eaten like hot cereal with milk and sugar, at least here in Michigan it is. I hated it. Grandma would pour it into a bread pan and put it in the refrigerator and it would get thick enough to slice for frying.

I tried to like polenta, but I made it with cornmeal and it was just like mush, pretty much. So I bought "special" polenta cornmeal, apparently it's more finely ground. Nope, it's still mush.

I've tried to make Grandma's hoecakes but they just don't taste the same. The girls like it if I make them with Jiffy corn muffin mix, LOL, mix it up and then instead of baking, cook it like pancakes. Sort of like a hoecake. sort of...

Annie

• spacific
    14 years ago

This is a near-impossible list to distill, so I took it a step further and thought about what I could eat nearly daily without tiring of it as well.

Again, not in any particular order.

1. perfect flaky butter croissants
    2. cafe creme
    3. a premier cru bordeaux (perhaps 2000 Chateau Le Tertre-RoteBoeuf or Chateau Latour)
    4. cheese... any artisan cheese... camembert, cheddar, gorgonzola, pecorino, chevre... I can't choose just one
    5. tiny wild strawberries from Michigan
    6. fresh morel mushrooms
    7. fresh caught lake perch
    8. scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam
    9. wood fired thin crust pizza margherita
    10. my father's homemade kielbasa

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Thanks for clearing up what cornmeal mush is Annie. I had always wondered. Sometimes when I've been out of milk I've made cornbread with water. Have you tried putting grated parmigiano reggiano into your polenta? That's the only way I like it.

Yeah, hoecakes should definitely be fried, not baked.

Beverly

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Oh Teresa, you had to remind me of the cheese grits! Yes, cheese grits and shrimp have got to be squeezed in...

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Beverly, I've put parmesan AND butter in the polenta. It's still mush and even the cheese and butter can't save it for me. It just has negative connotations, I guess...

Annie

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Annie - Not to hijack the thread, but what's the difference between corn mush and grits? (I know what grits are, and your descrioption of mush sounds very similar.)

I can't fathom putting anything sweet on grits. I had a roommate who used to do that (sugar or grape jelly, usually), and couldn't even watch him eat it. Something about the thought of that texture and sweet just did a number on me. (Although if you put enough maple syrup on something, it's got to taste ok! LOL!)

• vacuumfreak
    14 years ago

Oh Renee... the only way I can eat grits is with butter and a lot of sugar. I'm glad I'm not the only one... it's your old roommate and me in the club :o)

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

BT_DT, grits, polenta and cornmeal are all made from ground dried corn kernels. Polenta is a little more coarsely ground than cornmeal and grits is the most coarse of the three. Hominy grits is a type of grits made from corn kernels soaked in lye, dried, and processed into a different style of grits.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Hmmmm I actually sort of like grits, but just as a vehicle for lots of flavor. Make mine on the thicker side, with a poached egg in the middle, slathered in butter, salt, pepper and lots of shredded pepper jack.

Still, it would not make my list of top 10 though.....

Alexa

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not much difference, Renee. It's all mush with different textures, as Teresa pointed out.

Oh geez, and now I've been catching up on the posts, I'm wondering where to put fresh lake perch in my top 10....

Annie

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Me too. I want that fresh lake perch on my list, and fresh sour cherries on my list, and pie made from cherries on my list, and sour cream peach pie made from the peaches on my list...I just cannot do only 10 items!!!

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Wow, I just skimmed through all your lists and now I feel like I have a lot of catch-up eating to do. My head says yes, but my hips say no.

Every time I see the subject of this post the thought "my babies' toes" comes to mind. Silly, I know, but I loved to kiss those little pink toes. Today those toes live inside of great big smelly shoes so that ain't happenin' again.

As for consumables, I will only say strawberry shortcake so many other things -- but not mush/grits/polenta. Yuck.

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

I could have yellow perch in my top ten... if it was a small one fried with the tail on. My sisters still talk about the fish with tails from our childhood.

So many things I had to leave off to get just ten. Like a wintergreen berry plucked from the snow while in the backwoods hunting deer. A marshmellow toasted on a driftwood fire down on the beach. Spiney gooseberries from the swamp.... if fact most any wild berry plucked from the bush and eaten while still warm from the sun. Bean soup after drinking a couple beers. Fresh squeezed tangelo juice. Pecans picked from the shell as you crush them. Ringneck pheasent cooked with the skin on... specially if you are 12 and just blasted it out of the sky with grandpa's shotgun.

Alas... Renee's coffee.

Grits is best with that gravy made from ham juice and coffee.

Now I'm hungry.

: )
    lyra

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

lyra I had to leave a lot off also but I do have to add in cheese of ANY kind. I love it all.

When I said in my post that I don't need lots of sauces or toppings don't take me wrong. I do love food that way also but for basics - this is what I like.

• diana55
    14 years ago

I love everything, so I have no Favorites. I love good cooked food. If I had to pick my last meal, I couldn't do it. Diana55

• spacific
    14 years ago

Annie, Sherry,
    I was wondering why all you Michiganders didn't have fresh lake perch on the list? That's the first thing I ask for whenever I go back home to visit! I was also considering Lake Superior whitefish... If I could expand the list to the top 20. Or maybe, I could combine Lake Superior whitefish topped with a morel mushroom cream sauce.

And Dukerdawg! We were neigbors! My father used to pick up fish and chips from Scotty's about every other Friday night. You're right. I still compare their fish and chips to every other fish and chips place in the world. I can't believe they're still there. Still as good? I have to book a trip back to Detroit soon. I can't believe it!

And now I have to make more room for Sanders hot fudge over vanilla ice cream or cream puffs (preferably at the counter at Hudson's while going downtown to see the window decorations at Christmas) and Vernors pop.

Maybe that's another list... 10 best foods from your childhood...

• annie1992
    Original Author
    14 years ago

spacific, I think we take some local things for granted, like the Lake Perch, local walleye, freshly caught coho or king salmon. "Every day food".

Things like sweet cherries that hang in clusters like grapes, those intensely flavored small strawberries right off the vine, those summer tomatoes, we don't get those year round so we long for them. The fish, they're pretty much always here. Just chop a hole in the ice and wait for dinner to swim past. LOL

Annie

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Awwww, Lyra, you just made DH's day. He was the artison, not me. :) All I did was package it and be awed by what he could coax out of that green.

I miss it, too.

Oh, and you just reminded me of something else that should be on my list. You remember those Woodford Reserve bourbon balls? OMG, those were evil.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Alrighty then! Someone needs to share the recipe for the Woodfords Reserve bourbon balls! I have several nice bourbons here (Baker Street, Basil Hayden, Woodfords reserve and a single barrel Makers that I got from a distributor friend) that would all go nicely in a ball form!

Please?!?!?!?!?

Alexa

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I don't have the recipe, Alexa! We bought them and our Jamieson's (best chocolate bars, OMG) from Ruth Hunt Candies out of Mt. Sterling, KY. I used include one or the other as a languippe.

It's basically a cream candy with bourbon dipped in really good chocolate. topped with a pecan half. I do have a KY bourbon ball recipe given to me by a former KY neighbor, but I have never tried making it and can't vouch for it.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    14 years ago

Please don't forget Shad cooked all night long @ 200 degrees so that all bones disappear, and one has a fish steak on hand come dinner time. Yummmmm

• spacific
    14 years ago

Annie,
    I know what you mean... If I still lived in MI, I'd add vine ripened tomatoes, but I've still got them growing now (tomato plants are So.Cal's most invasive weeds!) so they're not on the list.

"Just chop a hole in the ice and wait for dinner to swim past. LOL" Ice fishing? Hours of sitting on a tiny stool in a tiny shack holding one of those awful smelling hand warmers with your feet freezing staring into a hole in the ice... I don't think so!

• carrie2
    14 years ago

1. Prime rib

2. Hot, buttered streak--filet, strip, or rib, doesn't matter

3. Hot, butter-drenched lobster

4. Seafood sausage from Chanterelle Restaurant

5. Calves' liver and caramelized onions

6. Fried okra

7. Deep fried zucchini

8. Fresh yeast rolls with butter and grape jelly

9. Scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam

10. Chocolate chip cookies

• Jasdip
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Bragu, whenever a spammer or anyone brings up an old post I really get nostalgic.

annie1992 thanked Jasdip
  • annie1992
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yeah, bragu, I do get nostalgic, and think of all the friends I made here, and wonder where they are now.

Plus I want a Seckel pear!

Annie

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

1. Fresh local strawberries

2. Fresh local raspberries

3. Pasties

4. grilled burgers with a slice of fresh tomato

5. My homegrown tomatoes

6. Fresh caught Lake Superior salmon on the grill

7. Fresh baked bread with butter ( who doesn't ? )

8. Wax beans

9. Coffee, Kona or Kona-Colombian blend

10. Vanilla bean ice cream with fresh fruit

annie1992 thanked Elizabeth
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 years ago

Fried crappie or walleye caught from cold water.

Seared dry scallops

The first BLT of the season made from my first ripe heirloom tomato.

Sweet corn on the cob what was picked while the water is boiling

People eat Shad? I thought shad is what fish eat?

annie1992 thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • Lars
    2 years ago

I also wonder about a lot of people who posted on this thread that I have not heard from in many years, but I also noticed that I never posted on this thread, and I can't imagine why.

Anyway, I can try to make a list now. I'll number them, but this is just the order in which they come to my mind.

1. seafood gumbo

2. king crab legs (I don't care for lobster and much prefer crab)

3. cherimoya / guanabana (They are very similar to me.)

4. fried okra

5. fried alligator tail

6. fresh coconut or mamey ice cream (my two favorite flavors)

7. chocolate hazelnut Bavarian cream pie

8. chocolate turtles, with caramel made with cream instead of milk

9. Eggplant Parmigiana

10. dragon fruit / pitaya, especially in juice form

I am also surprised at how many sweet items I named, since I do not eat many sweets, but maybe that is why they made my list. I have not eaten any of the things on my list in the past month😢, but I hope that will change soon.

I don't eat candy as a rule, but it still has to make my list. As an honorable mention, I would like to add the chocolate croissants I got at a French bakery in Copacabana. I especially liked that bakery for breakfast because I could order in French instead of Portuguese.

• neely
    2 years ago

This triggered so many memories that I just had to include my list

Candied Chestnuts

Chestnut mousse with a splash of rum

Raspberries

Lobster

Chocolate soufflé with cream poured inside

Charcoal rib eye with a sauce that includes cream, pepper and a splash of brandy

A small square of belly pork roasted till juicy with perfect crackling

Smooth buttery mashed potato that has been sieved

A green salad with a good vinaigrette

Mussels Mariniere with white wine and thyme

I haven’t had most of these for years but they were certainly memorable tastes.

• plllog
    2 years ago

No particular order:

Julia Child quiche aux champignons

A perfect peach

Really stiff but not dried out dark chocolate fudge

The kung pao beef at a certain Chinese hole in the wall in San Diego

Trader Vic's original crab rangoon

My mother's cheese bourekes

Agua de jamaica

Double cut rib lamb chops

Mom's apple pie

Mother's special challah with butter and honey (Rosh Hashanah)

I'm pleased to say I can make 70% of these, and could probably manage a couple more. ;) Only Mother Nature can make a peach. ;)

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

a really good prime rib

a perfect meat loaf

grandma's [parker house] rolls

a desert with graham cracker and chocolate my grams used to make

perfect fruit ... peach, watermelon, muskmelon

really good choc chip cookies

korean ribs and sweet corn

kim chi

a nice 7 layer salad