Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowjo1_gw

mock up backsplash feedback needed

lowjo1
15 years ago

Finally decided on my field tile. It's a neutral tumbled marble. The field tile will be layed in a simple straight pattern. Now I'm working on the area behind the cooktop. The field tile for that area will be layed at a diagonal.

Here's a photo of the field tile with a 1x1 glass tile and the 5/8" square grayish taupe tile. The other insert I'm considering is the same tile as the 1x1, but in a 2x2.

The glass inserts and the glass framing tile in a 5/8 x 8" I'm considering are in the Sonoma line- Tantrum (marked on this sheet)

For the framing of the cooktop area I've mocked up the 5/8" square gray/taupe tile in a pattern framing the area. Inside that is the 5/8 x 8" glass tile framing. (Please ignore the color of the mock up. The colors are pretty accurate in the picture of the field tile and inserts above.) This is just to help see the pattern overall. The larger whitish squares are the 2x2 glass tile, the smaller white squares are the same color tile in 1x1. The single small taupish square is the same 5/8" square in the framing and it is also used as an insert in a 4x4 pattern. The glass tiles and inner framing are all the same color.

Here are more pictures just to see it at different angles.

Here is a pic of the other wall in the kitchen.

So, my concern, as you may have guessed, is whether the pattern of inserts, and the overall design of the cooktop area, is too busy/complicated.

Please be honest! I appreciate any feedback!

Comments (8)

• dkitchenreno
    15 years ago

It's a little hard to see all the details in the picture, but the overall effect is really nice. I noticed that two of the 2x2 tiles are on the diagonal (unlike the rest of the accent tiles). Was this on purpose? In the pics the backsplash doesn't look too busy. Are you going to have some accents in the res of the backsplash also that will tie it all together? By the way, the rest of the kitchen is really pretty.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

It's so subtle that I don't think it looks too busy at all. Just kind of adds some nice texture to your kitchen. Did you think about trying the framing around the liner in 2x2's? It might give it a little bit more of a substantial feel and balance it out a bit.

• blondelle
    15 years ago

I like what you're doing but it's a bit diffuse. I would like more of a focal point in the middle such as a diamond shape. You already have a diamond shape there of sorts. I would like it more defined and those tiles done in some metal or glass tiles. It will add a bit more punch. It's a bit bland now I think.

• lowjo1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feeback so far!

dkichenreno- yes, some of the 2x2s were placed at a diagonal (some 1x1s also). I don't plan on using any other accents on the walls mainly because of the outlet placement, the coffee pot and the canisters. We really tried to fit them in, but it wouldn't work.

remodelfla- seeing if I follow you on the framing-- do you think it would look better to use the 2x2 glass tiles in place of the 5/8 x 8" glass tile on the inside of the taupish tiles in the framing?

blondelle- I understand what you mean about the "diffuseness." .. to many inserts on a small scale.

Anyone have any suggestions to help this or more suggestions?

• kmgard
    15 years ago

I think it's pretty! I love the glass tiles and the overall pattern behind the cooktop looks like a starry sky. My only comment is that it might improve the look just a little to have the two diagonal ones in the middle row be 2" instead of 1", but it's hard to say without seeing it.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I meant the 2x2 on the outside of the liner. 2x2's, liner, then diagonal tile with insets.

• muscat
    15 years ago

I agree that the pattern is a bit too diffuse, but I dont have a concrete recommendation to change it. The overall effect *is* very nice, but it seems like you have highlighted a focal point, then taken away from its "pow."

Personally, I'd do something a little more powerful in the center, then have it gradually become less detailed toward the edges. Vague, I know. But I love the tiles you chose!

• steff_1
    15 years ago

Can you let us know a little more about what you are going for here? If you can find some examples of backsplashes you like on FKB or google, we can help you get there with the tiles you have selected.

I agree with those who think it needs more impact. The placement of the elements is a bit scattered right now. That could work on a smaller backsplash, but you need more pop for a larger area. If you are going to put in a focal point it should really draw attention.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH