Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iwantakitchen_gw

Would love backsplash opinions! Picture of kitchen included

iwantakitchen
16 years ago

I need to pick a backsplash for my kitchen. Would love to know what you vision for my backslash in type and color. Ignore the paint color on the walls as it has not been painted yet. I want to pick out backsplash then paint as I have very little wall to paint. This is a picture of the kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just noticed that the picture does not show the floor. I have a wood floor. Peshtigo River Cherry Maple.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Have you looked through the backsplashes in the backsplash links on the Finished Kitchens Blog page? It's really hard to create a vision for someone else. Do you like calm and serene? Dark and dramatic? Whimsical? Colorful or monochromatic? Lots of texture or glossy and smooth? What overall look are you going for in your kitchen and house? Homey, warm, traditional, contemporary and clean? What colors do you like or hate?

This is the one that came to my mind when I saw your kitchen: http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2006/09/suebs-kitchen.html

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash slideshow on FKB

• gshop
    16 years ago

You need something that pops! Something that brings the two cabinet colors together and also it a focal point in your kitchen. Right now the kitchen seems to just blend together without any wow factor (no offense). Be creative with your backsplash, get some decorative tile. Good luck!

• cpang74
    16 years ago

I think a natural stone would be lovely. A travertine with accent pieces and maybe something more behind the range too! Maybe find some samples and post pictures again with the sample pieces?

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rhome410- I do not want a dark and dramatic kitchen. I had dark before, now I want light. I tend to do everything neutral but wonder if I should get braver with the backsplash in this kitchen. So I wanted to see what someone else would do if my kitchen was their kitchen.

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ngng- my DH says the same thing.

• iwantakitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a closeup picture of the countertop. I was wondering if I did not do a neutral color what colors could I work with for the backsplash? The counter does have a pinkish tint to it. So I am not really sure that I should try anything but neutral so wanted to get opinions. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful:

• edlakin
    16 years ago

you've got a more or less completely neutral palette there so pick a color that you like and then apply it to your backsplash. you've made it easy for yourself.

go with your instinct that the backsplash is an opportunity to infuse some color and life into your kitchen. any color would work with what you've got, just avoid light grays and browns.

• msrose
    16 years ago

I also think you need something that pops. I think something similar to what singledad just put in, but in a different color, would look good.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: singledad's backsplash

• msrose
    16 years ago

Actually the color he used may work. I think I see some rose colored stones in there.

Laurie

• mary_228
    16 years ago

I would prefer a tile that would blend with the wall cabinets. If you went darker, you would have a striped effect, with the dark molding at the top, then light wall cabs, then dark backsplash, the light countertops, then dark onthe base cabinets. The overall effect would be to make the space seem smaller.

People spend a ton of money on backsplashes and they really don't show that much if you are forced to keep coffeemaker, mixers, toaster ovens, dishdrainers, crocks, etc on the counters.

You can have fun with your window treatment and dishtowels, little potted plants or other accessories that you can change with the seasons to "pop" if you'd like. Once you choose some funky backsplash, you are not going to change it, ever! And will forever be trying to decorate around it.

That said, you can use some decorative inserts that pickup the floor or base cabinet color. But probably just an interesting installation of neutrals will be enough to set off your lovely kitchen cabinets.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

I am with Mary - I'd still stick to a neutral. You can add your color splashes when you decorate. Good luck!