Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachgirlok

Here's new pics of foyer - Comments?

beachgirlok
15 years ago

Some time ago I posted pics of my foyer, with pleas for help. Here's the "before"

Here is the "after" photo.

Please let me know your thoughts. I know one of the taaaaallll candles are leaning.

Also, here is my dining room.

I'm hoping my home doesn't look too Victorian. I have a few Victorian pieces, and I'm trying to get away from it. You can't really tell from the drapes, but I've tried to achieve a more French look with the topper, which is a "toile-like" fabric. The bottom of the drapes has silk at the bottom. I'd like to achieve a more European look, but must keep the antique dining room furniture for the time being.

What are your ideas?

Comments (17)

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

That is DeLishius! What beautiful rooms you have created! Love your stairs fully carpeted and those blue chairs in your dining room are exquisite! It does not feel victorian to me but elegant european. Absolutely Beautiful!

• beachgirlok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, and one of the pictures on the stairs is askew. Isn't it funny how you don't notice something when you are looking in person, and then it stands out in a photo?

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Great looks!!! Just straighten that middle candlestick in foyer. Do you have more chairs for the dining room table? Four chairs are not quite filling the space properly.

• beachgirlok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, do have more blue chairs. I have one in the corner next to the window and the other at the other end. I'll try that.

• parma42
    15 years ago

The foyer is filling in nicely.

If you want to go in your new direction for the dining room, I'd find another place for the blue cut glass and maybe even the runner on the buffet. Let the blue chairs stand on their own and incorporate more of the WT (which are beautiful) look in the rest of the room.

Nice job!

• beachgirlok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know I'm probably going to regret my asking and showing my ignorance, but what is WT?

• lilbit77
    15 years ago

your foyer is beautiful-great job!!your dr is good-except imo the blue chairs throw it off.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

WT is window treatment :)

I love the foyer decorated, but I must admit, I'm bothered by a lack of a rail on the one side...it feels like a forgotten detail.

I love the drapes and the dining set, aside from the blue...I don't see how that relates in anyway to the room's decor...it's throwing me way off. I'd slip cover those in white or ivory for now if you can't remove them. They're lovely chairs, but too blue for the room as it is.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Your entry is gorgeous -- good work!

Your curtains are lovely and your dining chairs are scrumptious, but do they go together? Is there blue in the fabric at the top of your curtains? It's hard to tell on my monitor.

I don't get a Victorian feel. I think you're pulling off the classic European look quite well.

• jjam
    15 years ago

I love the whole thing. I'd make a full fledged commitment to the blue chairs; they are gorgeous and unique; just the kind of thing that will make your home stand out. Right now it looks like you're not sure about them. I'd add the others and then use a fabric that coordinates with your WT for a runner on your buffet. I think they make a wonderful statement. You could also integrate more blue in your room with some asian pieces; those blue and white ceramic jars, bowls, etc. that are timeless and work with almost any decor. Some of those on your foyer table would be lovely. Lucky you!

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

Your foyer is beautiful. Do you plan to put a rug in there? Either way it is gorgeous.

I love the blue chairs in the dining room but the WT are bothering me. As someone else said, they don't seem to go with the chairs. I like ijam's suggestion to add blue and white ceramic jars.

• loribee
    15 years ago

Your foyer is beautiful! :)

• beachgirlok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oceanna, it doesn't come off on the monitor very well, but the main colors in the topper of the WT are red and blue. It appears more green on the monitor. I'm not sure I want to keep the DR set, so I didn't want to make a full-fledged commitment to the blue. From the comments, I guess it shows :). Artlover, there is an 8 x 11 rug in the foyer just in from of the door that you can't see in the photo. I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

• abundantblessings
    15 years ago

It's great when you start to turn a house into your home!

I think the blue chairs clash with the wonderful drapes and overall look you seem to be going for. Please keep and enjoy your DR set as it's likely well made and seems beautiful, but the blue gives it that Victorian feel you seem to be uncomfortable with. Reupholstering the chairs will work wonders. If you can locate more of the toile, then consider doing the chairs in a background color and perhaps having the toile applied just to the backs. For more versatility, then just use a solid color from the toile that is slightly darker than your carpet, perhaps a tone on tone texture or damask, without the coordinating toile back. If the tufting bothers you, eliminate it. You can always add arm or wing chairs at the head of the table. As mentioned earlier, try moving the other two chairs to the table.

Your drapes are the highlight and can stand alone, but if the corners just seem too empty try a feathery palm. Enjoy your beautiful home.

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

I think perhaps a larger arrangement on the dining table is needed. I, too, would eliminate the runner on the buffet. Blue and white porcelain sounds right to me also.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous space! I love the blue chairs, and think they give an unexpected *punch* to an already lovely room. I would like to see a couple of other blue touches incorporated into the room -- perhaps add some blue (peacock?) feathers to a large floral arrangement on your dining table.

• jay06
    15 years ago

Beautiful rooms! I'm wondering of the tall candles and flower arrangement on the round table in your foyer are a little too overwhelming for that space, though. They tend to hide the nice woodwork on the stairway and take away from the furniture itself as well as the portrait on the wall.