Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkperry_gw

Opinions needed please - furniture 'feet' in kitchen or not?

KKPerry
12 years ago

I did a quick search and didn't find a discussion. I figure if anyone has an opinion it will be this helpful group.

We are in the middle of a whole house remodel with significants changes to kitchen (yeah!). Working with Kitchen/Bath Design who has been great! He has provided lots of thoughtful improvements to layouts and so far has been right about everything - things I am initially resistent to, I have realized he is usually right and I trust his recommendations.

He has recommended trim molding and angled "feet" througout our kitchen. The beverage center and DR butlers pantry and giant island are intended to look like furniture pieces and he also has them in the perimeter. In the renderings they look pointy, but I've seen the actual angled "blocks" (but not on actual cabinetry) and we are routing some door edge into the profile. I just can't tell if I am going to like them/need them. I know feet are not going to disguise the fact these areas are still cabinetry and not real furniture.

Our contracator and head carpenter - who have worked with this KD a lot and we have also been extremely happy with - keep mentioning that often home owners do not keep the feet. KD likes them and orders them, but after work to install and get right (GC has also been thoughtful and usually recommends the "right thing" not the easy/lazy choice) that they frequently they pull them back out.

I probably won't know until I see the finished product, but hate to incur the cost and unnecessary work (that can be spent elsewhere). Anyone have any stories/thoughts/comments to share of furniture-looking feet on cabinetry.

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• plllog
    12 years ago

Feet can be nice looking. The trend has been around quite awhile, so it's hardly the latest thing. They give you plenty more nooks and crannies to clean.

In my opinion, they look best with a truly unfitted look. If it looks like a dresser, it should have dresser feet. If it looks like cabinets, it's just one more place for dirt to hide and something to make mopping into a bigger chore. There are a lot of kitchen designs that are "supposed to look like furniture" that just look like cabinets to me.

It's also something to add expense to the bottom line, and if the designer gets paid by the piece, it's something to add to the commission.

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

PITA to clean, so its a design that is likely BWAM (better with a maid).

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

And that's only if you really, really don't like your maid.

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Agree with the ladies above, PITA to clean!!! You can use furniture trim moulding around an island quite nicely...we are doing our small entertainment island using that type of moulding iso toekick moulding. Gives the piece a little more furniture finish, with no nooks and crannies!!!
    Good luck!

• blubird
    12 years ago

I only have feet on my island. They actually have a practical purpose in that I don't have 4ft. aisles. The furniture feet (there is a recessed, almost invisible toekick behind them) allow us to get up close to the island and having that extra foot room makes it seem more spacious.

Helene

• plllog
    12 years ago

I'm not quite understanding... Helene, did you mean up on feet instead of sitting right on the ground? Rather than feet added to fill the toekick?

• Fori
    12 years ago

I like them on islands for (I think) Helene's reason--you can put something on the corners while maintaining a toekick so it doesn't look like an inverted ziggurat.

I generally think it's a bit silly in a kitchen, although it can look lovely when done well.

As far as cabinetry meant to look like furniture, I'm too old and jaded to care for that. I say get some darn FURNITURE. :)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

What kind of look do you want? Feet harken back to the look of original 1920s kitchens, when built-in cabinetry first appeared (usually with furniture bases) but virtually every kitchen also had freestanding hoosiers and such.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I don't have feet on my cabinets but as a suggestion google buffets/hutches/hoosiers and look at those feet and the styles of them. Just my opinion, keep in mind that kitchen cabinets are big pieces of furniture and I always think it looks silly when the feet look too delicate - sort of like ballet feet. I like them when they are in proportion to the weightiness of the cabinets. JMHO.

• blubird
    12 years ago

Here's an up close and personal view of the feet on my island. Although you can see the toekick from this vantage point, anyone standing can't see it, as it's recessed.

As you can see it's somewhat of a clunky foot, but I think it works well with the substantive feel of the island.

Helene

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

KKPerry, hope I'm not hijacking your thread --> but does anyone have (or seen) examples of inset cabinetry that doesn't have feet (and that doesn't look contemporary)?

• plllog
    12 years ago

LOL!! Blfenton, if you saw ballet feet up close you wouldn't think they looked delicate. :D Chalk up one for the illusion of the theatre. :)

• KKPerry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Think we are ditching them on the perimeter, but will keep them on the beverage center "buffet" and chunky ones on the giant island.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus