Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meditrina_gw

suggestions on wall paint and cabinet color for a small kitchen

meditrina
13 years ago

I posted the same question on the kitchen forum but I also read that this forum might be helpful with this question.

I want to paint the walls and the wall-to-ceiling built in pseudo-pantry a different color than they are now. I'd like to have colors that make the space feel/look bigger. I was considering a very light green for the wall but the semi-gloss color I got was way too shiny. I was thinking of painting the cabinet gray but now I'm considering switching the paint colors (gray wall, light green cabinet). I'm not sure now if I should be using these colors or if I should try different ones.

The other cabinets are maple in toffee stain and the granite is peacock green. I'm thinking of changing the hardware to weathered nickel also. The light fixtures are also being changed (oxford silver color w/ etched glass).

I've added a link--thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

Comments (3)

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Trina,

I don't think I would like gray on the walls with your cabinet color. You have a warm color kitchen and I think the gray would clash.

Also, is there green in the countertop? It looks blue on my monitor. While green would look knice with your cabs, be careful about the countertops.

I would choose a paint color that cooridinates with your countertop. Is there a gold in there? I can see a color like SW Blonde/BM Desert Tan but not sure if you would want to go in that direction.

As far as the cabinet goes, I would paint it to blend in with the walls-just with a different finish(satin with flat on the walls). Do you really want it to stand out?

I actually see nothing wrong with the current color either. You could accent with colorful accessories.

Hopefully some of these folks here will chime in with some more ideas!

• gmp3
    13 years ago

I agree with the poster above, your backsplash, counter and granite are too warm to look good with grey. I'd paint the walls a green, goldish green and paint the pantry the warm white of your trim.

• meditrina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dawn, the granite is peacock green but it looks more bluish green because of the mica I think and yes there is quite a git of gold veining (almost is caramel). I think that's part of the problem i'm having...part of me is leaning towards warm kitchen but my mind is thinking that i should look towards more cool colors b/c it's small and cooler colors might make the space look more airy? I was considering switching out the knobs if the wall colors were leaning towards cool.

gmp, i'm gonna look at some greens and probably some gold tone colors and see which ones match with the countertop. I also like the idea of green w/ cream countertop...not so much into the white :)

thanks for the suggestions!