Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryibra

how rough is pebble tec vs pebble sheen

terryibra
14 years ago

does pebble tec look better since the stones are larger? the stones are tumbled so it should be more bumpy than scraping or scuffing? I am going to go with Wet Edge which is similar and I am debating the larger pebble finish from the finer pebble finish.

Comments (8)

• ftwpoolgirl
    14 years ago

We are in the planning stages of our 2nd pool. Our PB said not to use pebble tec and to go with a finer pebble that the pebble tec was rougher like walking on aggregate decking. Hopefully others that have used both will provide some more helpful input.

• travis_turner
    14 years ago

We have PT and have loved every minute of it. My seven year old stays in there for hours and has never had an issue on her feet or hands. JMO....

• paradigmdawg
    14 years ago

We went with PT and it is beautiful. We like to play a lot of volleyball and it can tear you up a little but we are very happy with it. For swimming and just walking around it is nice. I like the feel of it.

I would look deeper into the PS if I had it to do over again but if you lose some of the "look" by switching to PS, I would pick PT again.

• sandradee
    14 years ago

"I am going to go with Wet Edge which is similar..."

I'm also a genuine Pebble Sheen fan but have no clue how it measures up against the Wet Edge products you're considering.

Perhaps a new thread with "Wet Edge" in the title might elicit some opinions from those who've had Wet Edge installed in their pools.

• Lindsey_CA
    14 years ago

Pebble Tec is not rough because, as the OP stated, the stones are tumbled. The stones in Pebble Sheen are much smaller, also tumbled, but in addition the Pebble Sheen is buffed before the pool is filled with water.

We have Black Onyx Pebble Sheen and love it. The texture of the Pebble Sheen is very much like a basketball or football.

To really choose between larger/smaller stones, you absolutely should have your pool builder or plaster company take you to at least one pool with the larger stones and at least one pool with the smaller stones. Be prepared to take your shoes off and step into the pools, so you can tell what it feels like underfoot.

• terryibra
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wet edge uses the same stones as Pebbletec. The stones are from Chile'. The company was started by two guys from Pebbletec but they have smaller market share since PT has been around for 20 years longer. Apparently, the products are identical but Wet Edge is about 20% cheaper. I have yet to get my price quotes but we will see. I spoke to the Wet Edge Rep today and I should be able to see some pools and walk around in it like Lindsey recommends.

• poolplasterexpert
    14 years ago

There are 7 main pool plaster product dealers in the US, with packaging plants. Pebble Tec, Wet Edge, Pool Surfaces, SGM, CLI,Florida Stucco, Premix Marbletite. All have similar raw material, rounded basin pebble. The smaller pebble will bridge your skin and feel slightly smoother, provided the applicator does nice trowel work and exposure. However PebbleTec sells organic blue color for their cement coloring and your pool water chlorine change the finish to grey in less than a year.
    Therefore I would research the other brands.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths