Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suz1023

kitchen design challenge--anyone want to play?

Susan
14 years ago

so my new kitchen space will be 19'6" wide x 27 long. since i am unable to post a layout yet, i thought it might be fun to try and see it from your eyes, what would you do with a space this size?

should i tell you more about the features i want or the view or anything? or just see what happens with a clean slate?

i admit, i'm overtired and bored on this rainy day, so maybe i'm the only one who thinks this could be fun?!

Comments (5)

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Maybe you can tell us where the windows and doors are? You're right, this could be fun. And my cabinet maker would appreciate somebody distracting me so that I stop tweeking my plans . . . . .

• Susan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok, here are some important details. the 27' east wall faces the water, so no upper cabs at all on that wall, just windows. also the view is pretty great at the northeast corner, so no uppers there either.
    otoh, the west wall will have no windows, so have a ball.
    there needs to be a door in the middle-ish of the north wall---fireplace in the northwest corner.
    on the south side is where the kitchen attaches to the entry way. there is a four ft opening into the kitchen on either end of the staircase.
    on the kitchen side of the stairs will be a big walk in closet--the stairs will be ten feet, so the closet will be 10x7 i hope, with entry doors on either side. that will take up 7' of the 27'kitchen, leaving 20' for the rest of the room.
    does that make sense to anyone?!
    i really want a walk-in dish pantry in front of that closet too, with the dishwasher in there as well.
    shall i go on,lol?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Can you at least post a hand-drawn approximation of the space with doors/windows/walls marked? Or at least approx where you think the doors will be...especially if their locations are driven by things like entrances to other rooms. It sounds like you already have a plan in mind...why not post that?

Is the entire east wall going to be nothing but windows? Any wall space at all?

What appliances, fixtures, etc.? Seating in the kitchen? Table/chairs?

Have you read the "Layout" section of the "Read Me" thread?

I'm assuming one of your goals is to maximize the water view!

Once we have the info, then we can go to town!

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• Susan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, thanks. i have read the instructions and am working on learning how to draw and post my drawings. i'm really good at somethings, but not that, at all!
    my drawings are on graph paper and pretty well fleshed out, and assumably i can someday figure out how to get the drawings into the computer and then uploaded to here. someday...
    meanwhile, this is just for fun, i wanted to see what others would come up with in this space.
    specifically, i do want to preserve the sightline of the water, so lower cabs only on the eastern wall and northeast corner. windows above those cabs.
    the west wall faces the firewood storage, so no windows needed there.
    the kitchen will have a big fireplace in which dh can bake pies and such, and our big farm table will be in front of it. he likes to sit at the table to do his prep, and we all gather around him and keep him company while helping.
    he has a 36" vulcan range, a commercial hood, restaurant sink station (it's a free standing huge stainless sink he prefers to use for prep and pots). dishes and dw will go in a pantry, sort of like willows--(only wider and more shallow--think 8' wide by 4' deep).)
    um, what else can i tell you?

wish to HECK!!!! i knew how to post my dang drawings for you!!!! this would be so much easier!!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Do you have a scanner? Digital camera? Film camera?

If scanner, scan it in & create a "JPG" image, upload it to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr, copy the HTML code, and paste it here.

If no scanner, then take a picture...digital or film.

If digital, download the picture to your computer, upload the picture to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr, copy the HTML code, and paste it here.

If film, take the film to someplace like Walmart, get your photos on disk, then download the picture to your computer, upload it to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr, copy the HTML code, and paste it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!