Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

Exercise Room

grlwprls
14 years ago

I tried searching and found a lot of threads about accountability and menopausal symptoms, but nothing really on decorating (or pictures of) home gyms, workout rooms, yoga spaces, etc.

We have a small bedroom (9x11) in our new house that is going to be the family workout room. Elliptical, treadmill, weights, the Wii Fit, and a mirror so my 10 year old daughter can practice her yoga and katas.

The treadmill folds up and the elliptical has a very small footprint as we used to have it in a stairwell in our old house (they didn't really plan for exercise equipment in 1883). We're going to have a cork rug made for the floor.

I'm wondering, does anyone have a home workout space, and if so, can they share some tips? All the pages I found online suggested bright colors and inspiring art. All I can see in my mind is bright yellow walls when I read that with pictures of Jamie Lee Curtis from Perfect. Yikes! I actually want a serene space (which is 180 degrees from what is "recommended.")

Also, does anyone know how much space is required for certain types of activities? That will help me plan the space, too.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• hamsundm
    14 years ago

I don't have an exercise room but I have dreams! (Right now our guest bedroom doubles as my gym.)

My room would have one wall of mirrors. Maybe mirror tiles or 2-3 really large beveled edge mirrors. Walls would most likely be a warm gray color or possibly a soft blue-gray. A tv is a must have for me - wall mounted with an adjustable angle/swivel would be ideal. I'm not sure what I'd like on the walls. Either black and whites or possibly jazz it up with color artwork.

The main focus, though, would be that it's an exercise room and it would look like it. Mats, weights, etc, could just be set aside or put in a cubby instead of trying to hide them in a closet. And my treadmill would look 'at home' instead of being an eyesore in our guest bedroom! :)

Oh, and for space, the only tip I have is to make sure that there is clearance behind the treadmill for safety reasons.

Good luck with your project! Please show pics of what you do!

• pps7
    14 years ago

We are building and our new home has an exercise room in the basement. Right now we only own a recumbant bike, but will purchase a treadmill soon after we move in. Eventually we would like an elliptical as well. The room is 11 x 10 and has a walk in closet for equipment.

Wish list:

-wall mounted tv
    -large mirror
    -ceiling fan (DH vetoed this)

I don't think there's room for much more than that. We did install ceiling speakers so we can play music from our itunes. The wall color will be BM grant beige. There is a lot of natural light in the room.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Mines 20' x 20'. I have a large mirror on the wall opposing the wall of windows. Two framed posters of people doing yoga. Two tower fans, to cool me down.....a heater tower for the winter & a fireplace. A big TV, good stereo & speakers. White walls for a calm feeling. The stairstepper has a heart rate monitor in the handles. Treadmll has a heart rate monitor headband. Nordic track, free weights, curl bar, sit up bench.....whatever your into.

• suero
    14 years ago

My exercise room is approximately 10 x 11, painted BM Man on the Moon, a very pale yellow. Big mirrors on one wall, which visually double the size of the room and also serve to encourage me to keep up the exercise, since I can see very positive results ;-). A TV, to keep me distracted while I exercise, something high to hold the weights (DH doesn't like to bend down to pick up the weights), and the exercise equipment. Floor is vinyl tile, Congoleum A06, which is cheerful-looking and has enough of a give to make it easy on the feet while doing exercise. Cork, however, would be wonderful.
    {{!gwi}}

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Excellent. Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm glad that you all don't have your rooms painted neon yellow with images of aerobics devotees in leg warmers :-)

• judydel
    14 years ago

My room is also roughly 9' x 11'. I use it for our 7' long rowing machine (which separates into two pieces and can neatly stand in the corner or closet when not in use. The room is also used for my healing table (I do energy healing on occasion) and it is also used for yoga and meditation. Here is a photo. The walls are E.K. mushroom. I think it's important for the room to have music, but I prefer not to watch TV when exercising so that I can be in the moment. This room has two closets so I can put the massage table or rowing machine or yoga mats, etc. into the closet when not in use to keep the room spartan and airy. This room is upstairs and away from the main hub of the house in our new addition. We also have an infrared sauna but it had to be located downstairs in an alcove of the guest bedroom instead of in the exercise room. But at least the sauna/guest room has a 3/4 bath located off of it with a shower.

• judydel
    14 years ago

grlwprls, do you realize you can buy cork tiles? I'm wondering why you're thinking of having a cork rug made. It sounds like that would be more expensive than tiles. Will the cork scratch, dent, etc. The idea of cork fascinates me. I was looking into it at one point for our kitchen.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The room has heart pine flooring, so we want to protect it, plus add a layer of "bounce" for exercise. The eco shop suggested rubber flooring, but honestly, I just don't like the way it looks and I worry about damage to the real floor under it. Technically, the room is a bedroom, so I didn't want to put a permanent "workout" floor down. I also figure the cork will help with sound and vibration transmission.

• judydel
    14 years ago

Oh, I see. We have hardwood flooring also. I have several yoga mats to help protect the floor. I use 2 underneath the rowing machine (front and back where it sits on the floor). When I use bar bells I sit them on the yoga mat, etc. I would think a cork area rug would rub on the hardwood more so than mats. The cork is hard and the mats are soft and pliable. Just my impression. Best of luck with your plans : )

• angiedfw
    14 years ago

All this talk about exercise rooms is making me feel guilty about eating out of this tub of cookie dough... :D