Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
domerjen_gw

1st Attempt at KD... would like review

DomerJen
12 years ago

I've been obsessively reading the forum for a couple of weeks. We're beginning to plan our kitchen reno. Our architect is on the job, but I want to make sure our kitchen is the best it could be.

Right now this is using the existing structure, but moving some doors/windows. The bathroom is stuck where it is. I'm open to suggestions for the rest of the kitchen layout. Water/gas/electric are all able to be moved.

I *really* want an island in lieu of a penninsula, b/c I find that penninsulas have so much extra wasted space w/ the corners. I plan to use the island for prepping on one side and the kids can hang out on the other. I was hoping for a separate cooktop/double oven, but there just doesn't seem to be room w the island.

I'm the only cook in the house. I like to cook and do a lot of baking. I have 2 small kids, who I hope will someday be able to help w/ dishes. ;)

The wall to the left (south side) will eventually be connected w/ a garage most likely. We're planning a big deck for the back of the house (connecting through french doors in the DR.

Our house is a 1924 american four square. I think that's about it...

Comments (5)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I wish that WC didn't have to be there, or could be reconfigured, so you could square off the island and get it a little closer to your stove.

As it is, I'm afraid your island won't be of much use to you as cooking/baking prep space, because of the narrow end across from the stove. Since that puts the most convenient and roomiest prep space between sink and stove, I'd definitely swap the sink and dw so that it's not in your standing space. Not a big deal now with you alone in the kitchen, but from a mom with kids who help with dishwasher loading/unloading and setting the table while I cook, I think it will be later.

I'm guessing you situated it that way, because you're used to having your dw to the left of the sink, but I think that's problematic in the new plan. The other good thing about swapping it is getting it closer to your dish storage, which I'm assuming will be in your island, since I don't see any other storage near that area. I have dishwashers on each side of my main sink (we have 8 kids, so lots of dishes), and the one that's by far easier to unload is the one that's on the dish storage side of the sink.

• DomerJen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, that's a great point about the DW! I do plan to put the dishes in the island and the uppers near the sink/dw.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

When are you adding the garage? Are you going to be entering, using the steps, by the WC/powder room? Could you possibly add the bathroom, on the other side of the 'south' wall and also include a mudroom...then the garage? That would make such a difference, in your kitchen layout and the current powder room location is very small.

Either way, I'd think about putting an oven/microwave and the fridge, where you have the range now...on that 'south wall' and move the range/cooktop to the window wall, putting windows on each side. Then, since you have a smaller sink, anyway, put the trash, sink and dishwasher on the island. You could still have the breakfast bar, but it would give you more space around the range and better use of the space, IMHO :)

• DomerJen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, we need the 1/2 bath to be on floor level (no stairs) b/c of disability, so it wouldn't work in the garage (though we do plan to go through those stairs for the door). I'll have to think through that idea to move the appliances around. :)

i know the general consensus of GWers is to stick to 48" aisles... would anyone go shorter to get closer to the oven area?

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I have a 36" aisle between my island and stove, so I can just turn back and forth when prepping and taking things to the stove, and tending the stove while prepping more. I also hoped it would discourage traffic going through that area, but it's roomy enough so that if someone does go through, it's not a big deal. It might depend, perhaps, on if you'll ever need room for wheelchair or other equipment.. Also, since your oven is there, also, maybe you'd like a few more inches for the door.

My 36" aisle with room for 2 adult-sized kids and 2 big dogs: