Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kismet08_gw

Need opinions on front door color (pic heavy)

kismet08
15 years ago

I'm thinking about painting the front door to our house. Right now, the color matches the trim and the garage doors. Our brick is a taupe color with a touch of black. All the trim and doors coordinate with the taupe. I was thinking of removing the storm door and painting the front door black. The door hardware needs to be replaced desperately, since the brass plating is corroding.

I was thinking black door, brushed nickel doorset? Will it look odd with the door black, and the garage doors remain taupe? It's a lot of garage door, and I'd rather that just continue to blend into the house and disappear.

Here is the house:

{{!gwi}}

close up of front door:

I might even replace the door with a half-light style, in leau of the storm door, which is nice in the mornings to have open for the light.

like this:

{{!gwi}}

close up of brick:

Also, the exterior lights on the porch and garage are a rust color. I was thinking of spray painting them black as well.

My apologies for the gigantic pics, I tried resizing in photobucket, but I guess thats not helping.

What do you guys think?

Comments (22)

• jeanonly_one
    15 years ago

There was a thread recently that showed a front door in a soft black Sherwin Williams Wrought Iron. I think it would be beautiful with your house.

• enailes
    15 years ago

Yes, I would remove the storm door, the taupe is pretty but the black would provide some nice contrast. I don't think it would look bad if the door didn't match the
    garage doors. You may decide you want to paint them as
    well. I would play up the french look of the house and brick.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I would remove the storm door, paint the wood door black and NOT paint the garage doors. Let the front door be the focal point, not the garage. You want people's eyes to focus where there is beauty and I like most people think of a garage as a clutter storage unit, whether it is or not. Pop a brightly colored wreath on that black door and some brass hardware. Brushed nickel MIGHT make your house appear cold and you want it to look warm and inviting. Try ordering brass from Restorers or Renovators Hardware. You will get a higher end product that will do you proud and word is out that brass looks great with black.

• teacats
    15 years ago

I think that a black (or very dark chocolate brown) front door would look wonderful! Very classic!

BUT if you do switch to a black front door -- then add some black elements around the whole space -- maybe three larger black urns by all three garage doors (one on each side of the main door -- and one to the right of the side door)

Maybe a couple of black plant pots on each side of the walkway -- where it meets the door slab? (add a square concrete stepping stone first -- and sit the pot on that to steady it) Or add them on each side of the door slab itself to help to frame the front door?

Then add a half-circle doormat to the doorway too .....

• patricianat
    15 years ago

What about putting some bright bedding plants around the gas light with a pretty black Chippendale bench right there for you to pop down and enjoy the view.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I agree with patricia43, don't paint those garage doors, just do the side lights and the front door a black color, that will make it very classy looking to match your beautiful home.

• teacats
    15 years ago

LOVE the idea of the black bench by the lantern!

And lots of fresh white and colored bedding plants and annuals along the beds and in the black pots by the front door ..... and tall column-shaped bushes in the black urns by the garage doors ......

Yes -- high gloss or semi gloss black for the front door with a large pretty door knocker in the center and a matching kickplate across the bottom. In pewter or a softer brushed silver .....

I wonder if you could paint the outdoor wall lanterns to black?

Just some thoughts -- hope you don't mind!

Jan

• kismet08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. You're making me feel more and more like I am on the right track. I definitely want to remove the storm door. I'm going to put it on the door in the back that's off the garage, so it won't go to waste.

So, do I paint the door and sidelights black, leaving the trim around in the taupe? I saw the thread about SW Wrought Iron, but also the thread about it being discontinued, I guess they could still mix? I was thinking about SW Caviar. Looking at black paint chips makes my head hurt. Varying degrees of darkness.

Teacats, I do love the idea of incorporating the black elsewhere to tie it together. I have urns for that porch (only in taupe), I just haven't dragged them out yet. We are just now getting warm temps here in WI, and I'm betting it's not here to stay yet.

Patricia, your comment about the bench made me giggle. If you only knew what my view the other direction was! I get a full monty shot of our neighbors above ground pool. LOL I do like the idea though. Somewhere to sit while the kids ride their bikes, etc. Nothing is in bloom here yet, and too cold to put out annuals here until mid-May (I use Mother's day as a rule of thumb, and even then its risky).

I'm a little unsure about the door hardware. I love the look of real brass on black too! However, my plan was to replace the remaining inexpensive brass plate stuff I have inside to ORB. I think ORB on the handset would disappear on a black door, but staying brass might look like I didn't finish changing things out? I mean, the handset would then be brass on the inside of the door too.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Ah, Wisconsin, my home state, how I miss it and the wonderful people there. Texas is good too though!

I agree, leave the garage doors the light color and paint the front door (including side panels and trim) black, or whatever that dark color in your brick is would be good too.

The brick is very warm and "friendly" and I think the light fixtures you have up go very well with it actually. Because it is so warm, I would not put nickel hardware. Something warm like brass or ORB. Kickplate and knocker to match would be awesome, as someone else mentioned.

About putting a new door with oval window, please don't be offended but I think the oval shape is fighting with the rest of the house (which is beautiful). If you want to get a door that is half window, I think square with panes would be better, but the big strong massive panel door is in my opinion best for the situation.

• suero
    15 years ago

I think that a deep chocolate color would be better than black. And a brass entry handle. With the same color on the sidelights and door, and not broken up by the storm door, the entry now looks more in scale with the house. A kickplate would, in my opinion, detract from this uniform look.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I personally like the dk. brown better than black with your brick...remove the storm door...and get those pots out and spray paint them dk. brown also...there is some dk. brown spray paint with little flecks in it that works great...add some pretty flowers or just put in a couple of Boston Ferns for color in them. I wouldn't change the color of the door handle....I don't care for silver or black as much as the brass (good quality brass that I know this is)....either put a pretty wreath on the door or a brass knocker in the center.
    Beautiful home.

• estreya
    15 years ago

I'd vote for the dark brown also. I think it's a really striking compliment to that darkest shade in the brick.

• les917
    15 years ago

I would do the door and sidelights in a deep rust color. I see rust undertones in the brick. Then change out the lights and door hardware to ORB, which will pick up the dark tones in the brick and compliment the rust color of the door.

Benjamin Moore has a color in their Affinity line called Rustique that is about the color I might consider.

I think it would create a warm and welcoming feel to the front door, and make it the focal point. Adding some plantings that bring out the rust color would be nice there, too.

I know you showed a door with the oval glass inset, but I would look for glass that has a more rectangular feel, or one with an arched top to echo the window above the entry. The oval seems so Victorian to me.

Your home is lovely!

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

I like the dark brown for the door, also. And if that was my house (beautiful) I would NOT paint the lights. I think they look fine as they are and might be too stark if you go black/black. Good luck!

• msrose
    15 years ago

I like the black!

Laurie

• amykath
    15 years ago

I like the black too! Very nice house!!!

• nicole__
    15 years ago

I like dark brown, it goes with your brick. I use SW wrought iron and it has an olive green undertone...that's NOT what "you" need. I would put a polished brass kickplate on your front door as well.....classy! I don't think you would like a frontdoor with glass in it....everytime you walk by it in your pj's you wonder who on the outside just saw you......really! and glass is not a good insulator. Your door is metal with an insulaton core right now, right? It's better for your utility bill to just keep it!

• kismet08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for everyone's opinion! I originally was thinking black, because its classic and I love it. However, my house is not classic. No matter how much I want it to be - it just isn't. Anyway...

I literally took the fan deck out this morning and tried to find the shade closest to the existing shade on the doors and trim. Closest shade to the existing color on the BM fan deck is Waynesboro Taupe. It has more grey in it than I thought! What if I stay on that paint chip, and do the soft grey black color at the bottom, Dragon's Breath?? Horrible name, I know. I looked for Murkey Turkey and couldn't find it. LOL

I could do browns too, the roof has plenty of brown in it, which is my main hesitation for doing the black. I was originally thinking this would be easy. I'd just do the black, since its in the brick. Now I'm concerned it would be competing against the overwhelming browns in the shingles. Maybe a grey-brown? BM Dash of Pepper?

• jeanonly_one
    15 years ago

I still prefer the blackish door with your fixtures, bricks, trim, roof etc. SW black fox looks good - but it's hard to tell on a monitor.

• enailes
    15 years ago

Gee, now I'm wondering how a cream door would look with black accents, sort of the color over your garage, not the brick but the ornamental arch.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Your house has a very classic look of neo Queen Anne/Normandy. You shoud care less about what the masses think. Your house will look great with darkish gray-to-black with brass and a cute little Chippendale bench. Ignore what the trendies think. Go with what will stand the test of your time and make your house stand the test of time and elegance.

• cpsommers_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Hi there,
    We're thinking of using dragon's breath for our accent color (with a grey-green body and cream paint). It would mean putting the dragon's breath on the front door. Did you end up deciding to go for it? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Casey

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County