Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mopsmd

open corner cabinet?

mopsmd
11 years ago

Has anyone ever done an open corner cabinet (i.e. no door) in order to avoid a blind corner or the small hinged doors? Would it look odd to have open cabinet (not just shelves) to one side of the sink/window, and regular cabinets to the other? I'm not interested in completely open shelves, in part because I want some type of valence/arch over the sink window, but also I want more of the architectural look that the cabinet affords.

I'd be considering a 24x27" easy reach cab with the L-shaped shelves. The 27 would be along the sink run.

Below is the current layout, but it includes 6" shelves on either side of sink that I'm not going to do:

Just a little background:

We have an awkward, tight space due to where the window/sink are located. Only 34" from inside window frame to wall (factor in trim and some space to cabinet and that's very little left).

KD wanted me to do a 24x24" easy reach for symmetry but that would leave an 7 1/2" gap to window trim, which I'd have to then replicate on the other side of the window which would mean reducing one of two 30" cabinets to 27". We'd talked about doing 6" open shelves on either side of the sink, but since I want the arch/valence I think that would be too much. Plus not sure I'd have much to put on the 6" shelf.

We're doing Shaker inset. I was hoping to avoid the narrow door to the left of the sink, which doesn't really balance all that well with the 30". The 24 x 27 would get rid of the gap and give me a slightly bigger door to offset the 30" on the other side.

But I'm not crazy about the hinged doors ...so I wonder if I could get away with the 24 x 27" without them.

Also, I did consider a blind corner there, but KD says blind corner cabs have to have 3" fillers (seems a lot) and that just takes away from an already small kitchen, and would leave me with 1" between cabinet and trim.

It's Fieldstone and I'm not sure how custom they'll go for me. Already I found out they don't do 9" cabinets in inset, which eliminates pullouts for any narrow spaces.

We're scrambling to get this in by Wednesday. Already it's going to come in much later than we anticipated and we'll have to live without a kitchen for several weeks. KD is a little frustrated with me because I won't go with the 7 1/2" gap but I want to get this right.

Comments (16)

• mopsmd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's an elevation of the kitchen. I couldn't figure out how to put 2 images in at once. Again, we're not going to do the shelves around the window because I thought it would be too much with the arch (not shown) and because they're only 6" -- not big enough for my teapots that I had wanted to display.

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

I actually have a very similar situation in my kitchen. I also don't want the small hinged cabinet. I've been collecting images of open corner cabinets for inspiration. Let me try posting one.

This post was edited by belle_va on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 16:52

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

mopsmd, thank you so much for the links. those images are really, really helpful to me, especially the third one. i actually am considering an open cabinet next to a stove hood. i think open cabinets could look nice if they relate to your overall design- i.e. would you have some open storage anywhere else? i think if this is the only open shelving anywhere in your kitchen, it might not seem balanced. can your KD do a mock up drawing for you? that will probably help a lot.

• mopsmd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that thought. We will have the open shelves on the island -- half-circle, 36" wide, 12" deep. So coming in from one entrance they would mirror each other.

Glad those links are helpful. I've been combing the internet all day for such pictures!

I can ask my KD to do a design (I think at this point she's a little tired of me, though honestly she has only herself to blame because last week she got me to consider and agree to an entirely new arrangement!). I definitely need to see something, have a hard time visualizing without it on paper.

One thing is I'm not going to have much of a molding at the top, so I wonder if that will affect the look of an open cabinet.

What kind of hood are you having?

• mopsmd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, have you seen this thread - there's a picture that might be of use to you, with an open cabinet next to a hood.

Here is a link that might be useful: open cabinet next to hood

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

Of course, I see the open shelves now. I should have looked more closely before asking! I do think they would mirror each other and could be a nice design feature. FWIW- I don't think the gap you mention as a possibility on either side of your window would look bad though I know it would cut into your storage space since you would need to replicate on the other side. I've seen some kitchens with a purposeful gap and they looked good. Like you I need to see everything mocked up. I have a hard time visualizing, especially scale. (BTW, the space between the fridge and the range seems very tight. One design we considered had a similar space and I just could not figure out what I would do with that counters pace. Of course, I feel like every time I solve one design problem, I create a new one.)

I would like a feature hood- maybe a flared chimney style though that is probably not going to work visually. It might end up being a sort of chunky mantel type. My space is small. Very small. The corner like yours runs into my range instead of my sink. The thread you linked to really helped! I am more resolute about using an open cabinet now.

This post was edited by belle_va on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 18:23

• mopsmd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the range is very close to the fridge -- 12" -- but if I move the range over for more space I'll have almost no space between the range and the sink. I can't move the sink because of the window. It's the window that's really messing things up. My architect wanted me to have the sink in the corner but I said no - I need it to be below the window.

Of course, my previous kitchen was a tiny galley with 3 doors and 2 windows and almost no counter top space. So this seems luxurious to me.

• mopsmd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

belle_va what do you think of this -- this is similar to what I have in mind (the open cabinet next to the sink with a valence or something across the sink) but mine would be L-shape.

Depending on the size of your hood, I'd be wanting to make sure the open cabinet didn't feel overwhelmed next to it. But I think it could work esp. if you have some crown molding up at top.

Here is a link that might be useful: open cabinet next to window

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

I think that would work just fine in your space. Especially since you have the open shelves on the island. It will tie everything together. I definitely have found myself wishing for three more inches here or six more inches there... but I guess the challenge is to work with the space we have.

• mopsmd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I tell you just an extra 3 inches and I could have had the arrangement I really wanted! Plus if I could just move my kitchen window 6 inches to the right....

I searched that blog and found a better picture of the entire kitchen where you can see how the open shelves look next to the window. I do think it's worth me considering. I'm also having a white kitchen and the open shelves add some visual interest and color.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

An extra inch is all that is needed in the corner with insets, 3" is overkill. Do they do size modifications? Combine cabinets?

• User
    11 years ago

First of all, do not rush this decision, being without a kitchen is inconvenient now but you are spending too much money to not take the proper time to decide what you want. Large gaps around the window would look odd, the small shelves do not fix that, and I am not sure why filler would ever have to be used for a blind upper if you are using inset cabinets. My kitchen is similar in layout and we have the fridge at the end of the sink run on the far right, it allows more space around the range. As far as an open corner cabinet goes, they look so unfinished and odd when they are the only open upper shelves in a kitchen. My upper corner is almost the same dimensions (24 x 28) and opens into the center, the doors are not so small as to look odd or be less functional. If you move the fridge to the far right then you could have glass cabinets to the left of the fridge for display or you could flank the rage with glass cabinets.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Here's a pic detailing that, from one of my early inspiration pictures.

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

I stay out of these things usually but surprised the layout gurus haven't had at it.
    RE what athomeinva had to say (especially take your time)- and my question about combining cabinets- here is one option

This works IF you combine cabinets and use a D sink (a better option than a double in my experience but YMMV :)
    messed with the island a little just to bring it up. This is doable in many semi custom brands and has better storage by a lot.
    Have no idea what your space is like but this is one of the options I'd likely be suggesting depending (I hate when KD's don't draw the whole space)

This is all I'll have on this... I have work to do and like I said don't mess with these, I'm just a sucker for small kitchens :)

)

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

elevations

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!