Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrice607

drain tile under paver patio

patrice607
11 years ago

We are about to start a 525 sqft paver patio. Contractor is recommending a drain tile right thru the middle of the patio. I am afraid of uneven settling. Does anyone have experience with this?

Comments (4)

• fnmroberts
    11 years ago

Your contractor knows something. A paver patio still needs sufficient drainage for water to escape. If the soil or grade won't do it, then a drain is the solution.

We installed French drainage for our paver patio while building it in 1998. All gravel was compacted with no settling issue since. Actually, extracting water will control frost heave. Good luck.

• fnmroberts
    11 years ago

Your contractor knows something. A paver patio still needs sufficient drainage for water to escape. If the soil or grade won't do it, then a drain is the solution.

We installed French drainage for our paver patio while building it in 1998. All gravel was compacted with no settling issue since. Actually, extracting water will control frost heave. Good luck.

• patrice607
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fmroberts -

did the french drain go under your patio? Thanks for your input!

• fnmroberts
    11 years ago

Yes. Ours is just inside and all around the perimeter. At the edge, I also installed a PVC tube to hedge my bet and daylighted it to the graded water route at the side of the lot.

The patio actually is higher than the lawn and held in place by a retaining wall which is a barrier to water. The French Drain removes any pooling from heavy rainfall on a couple hours.

You can go to a link at My Page to locate photos. Hope this helps.