Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Winter bed, summer bed - how do you do yours?

oceanna
16 years ago

In most places we need one set of coverings for our beds in the winter to keep us warm, and a much lighter set of coverings in the summer to keep us cool. This can be like having to decorate your bedroom twice. How do you manage this? Can you post pictures?

Comments (35)

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I have a comforter set in a dark tan faux seude that I use most of the year except for summer which matches my upholstered headboard/ottoman. When the heat arrives, I pack up the comforter but keep the shams and ruffle and replace it with an off white matellase coverlet.
    Plus it lightens up the room and makes it a little fresher.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I'll try to load a picture onto photobucket tonight after the kiddos go to bed, but here's what I did.

We have winter blankets that go under a coverlet. During summer, we switch out the winter blanket for a light cotton summer blanket. We always use only cotton sheets, but I prefer lighter thread counts during the summer, as the higher thread counts can feel a bit heavy to me. Our coverlet is a thin, very lightly quilted washable cotton fabric with a sort of deco-ish floral pattern on a light background. We then have a down duvet with a reversible coordinating cover (in two different fabrics) and coordinating decorative pillows. I don't have any heavy fabrics -- everything is a light cotton, linen or satin or silk and the color scheme stays the same -- blue and cream with a splash of gold and red. During the winter, we use the coverlet almost like a second blanket layer under the duvet. During the summer, the duvet gets folded down at the bottom of the bed so that it acts as just a decorative blanket, while the coverlet (with light cotton blanket underneath) is the main fabric. My dog prefers summer months since the cushy down duvet makes a loverly featherbed when not in use by his humans. :-)

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Winter: Empty duvet with blanket & sheets underneath.
    Summer: Empty duvet and sheets underneath. (No blanket)

DH is a furnace. If I put anything more on our bed it gets thrown on top of me and then I wake up buried under a mountain of covers. The empty duvet was a compromise after years of trying to figure out what to use because he doesn't like any heavy comforters, quilts, etc.

I'm liking it now too because it's easy to switch out a duvet for different seasons.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sippimom, haha! Just wait till you hit menopause... you'll get even with him for sure!

• tinam61
    16 years ago

We don't change our bed coverings for the seasons. We have a mattelasse coverlet on our bed, but it is never used as actual *cover*. At times I have a coordinating print comforter folded at the foot of the bed (when the mood hits), but again, it is never actually used.

We are both pretty warm natured people. We don't get the really, really COLD temps here very often, but in winter we use our feather bed and a quilt or heavier blanket. I think I did use flannel sheets about two weeks out of this past winter. In summer we use a lighter blanket, a cotten weave. Featherbed feels too warm to us in the summer.

tina

• tinam61
    16 years ago

We don't change our bed coverings for the seasons. We have a mattelasse coverlet on our bed, but it is never used as actual *cover*. At times I have a coordinating print comforter folded at the foot of the bed (when the mood hits), but again, it is never actually used.

We are both pretty warm natured people. We don't get the really, really COLD temps here very often, but in winter we use our feather bed and a quilt or heavier blanket. I think I did use flannel sheets about two weeks out of this past winter. In summer we use a lighter blanket, a cotten weave. Featherbed feels too warm to us in the summer.

tina

• citytransplant(zone5)
    16 years ago

In the winter I have a burgandy down comforter on the bed with matching pillows, in the summer the comforter goes on the foot of the bed to reveal the off white cotton blanket. The blanket also matches the same pillows and with the comforter at the foot of the bed it picks up on all the colors in the pillows, upholstered chair and drapes. Also when the AC in up too high in the summer, I will just pull the comforter up.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I have a heavy comforter for the winter and a light bed spread for the summer. I also change the blankets from heavy to light. I pull back the covering at night so just sleep with the blanket unless we are having a real cold spell then need the comforter.
    Clare

• les917
    16 years ago

No changes made here between seasons. The comforter matches the curtains draped on the wall behind the bed, so I prefer the look remain the same. Besides, between heat and air conditioning, there aren't major temperature changes that necessitate it.

• wooderlander
    16 years ago

We have about five stages of bedding through the year. To save energy and because I think it's healthier, we keep the indoor temperature as close to outside as is comfortable, so there is quite a variation from winter to summer. We turn off the AC at night in the summer and just use the ceiling fan.

During the winter, we have a down comforter inside a washable cotton cover, which we use instead of a top sheet. I wash the cover once a week along with the pillowcases and bottom sheet. No blankets under the duvet because then it wouldn't be a light fluffy layer that feels like a warm cloud, and also I don't have to make the bed, just fluff it. :)

When that starts to feel too warm, we switch to a thin down blanket, also inside the cotton cover. Then we switch to a light cotton fleece or flannel blanket on top of a regular cotton top sheet. When that gets to be too much, we use a top sheet with an empty duvet cover spread on top, about the equivalent of three sheets. We have some pretty colorful ones that we've bought on our travels.

In the warmest summer months, which are very warm around here -- many nights don't get below 80 degrees -- we just use a sheet on top. Sometimes even that is too much.

I have a couple of Sferra coverlets that I might use in the daytime on top of the sheets/blanket combinations and fold back at night, but nothing on top of the winter duvet because it would weigh it down and flatten it out. I can't stand heavy covers.

It's interesting how people have such different practices.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Winter and summer, the bed looks like the following...a heavy duvet over a comforter, However, in the summer, we pull the duvet down and just sleep with the comforter and sheets.

The flip side of the duvet is more summery looking (like the chair upholstery), but it doesn't look as good, so I don't use it.

I would really like to find something new, but you cannot find a dust ruffle long enough for my height bed. I made the one you see (and the duvet), and have no intention of making another anytime soon.

{{!gwi}}

My favorite look for summer, was in my last house. I used the white coverlet, but my DH never liked it. :(
    {{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

We don't change for seasons.

newhomebuilder: Wow. :)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is very interesting to see how many different approaches you all use. Thanks for sharing that. I guess most of you don't change color schemes, per se, by the season. I have a bad habit of buying way too much bedding. I'm just in love with the stuff.

NHB, what a gorgeous room! You designed it perfectly. What brand and color paint is that on your wall, please?

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Since I am not sure which wall you mean, I'll give you both.

New bedroom is BM Decatur Buff

I am not happy with this room BTW. It needs some warmth, but cannot talk DH into letting me put up drapes. I also need something on either side of the print (or I may try that kitchen mirror over the bed!)LOL I am going to the Mediterranean in June for a few weeks and will look for something else to fit on either side of the print. I don't know what, though.

Old bedroom paint is SW Khaki Shade. I don't think they make this color anymore, but it was a classic!

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Well, I'm in Seasonal group. And since I don't crank the heat up at night in the winter, we need blankets/heavier comforter to be comfortable. In the spring/summer/fall, I keep my patio slider open for breezes and may run the AC just a bit when evening temps are really hot. So we only need sheets/maybe a light coverlet. I used a deep colored comforter in winter and until April, then, I get rid of all that and switch to a cream matelasse coverlet and shams, very similar to that used by NHB in her old bedroom picture. (pretty rooms, btw!)

I either use no dustruffle or a bronzey thin one that goes with all my comforters. And since all textiles I buy are either in golds, reds, or olives, and my room is gold, everyting works together.

Red

• blm712
    16 years ago

I found the most wonderful sheets called Cashmina they are ultra soft and cozy, i don't think I will ever take them off my bed. I even ordered a set for my grand daughter for a shower gift. and a set for my daughter. . A friend of mine told me about hers ,the way she described them I thought they would be soft, but that is an understatement.

• User
    16 years ago

We use a duvet year 'round. It is white, monogrammed in green...warm in winter, fresh-looking in summer. Underneath we have a spring green cotton blanket...sometimes I fold the duvet into thirds and leave it at the bottom of the bed, and turn the sheet cuff down over the blanket.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

kswl - Charming bedroom! :)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

NHB thanks -- the second picture is the old room?

Red -- sounds like you've been smart to just stick with a basic color scheme to make sure everything goes.

Blm712-- that sounds intriguing. Where do you buy these extra soft sheets? Are they as warm as flannel?

Kswl -- what a pretty room! As I recall I like every picture you've posted of your home. You have a wonderful touch. I love those drapes with that paint. What color is that paint?

• loribee
    16 years ago

Fall/Winter pic...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• loribee
    16 years ago

Spring/Summer...sorry I still haven't figured out how to add pix directly! :(

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

loribee, that looks like something out of a magazine...gorgeous!

• loribee
    16 years ago

Thanks, kmcg85...VERY kind of you. Not sure about the valance over the bed though! :)

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

oceanna: Great topic! I'd like to redo our bedding once I figure out my DD's. I like the idea of using a decorative coverlet below a comforter and putting the comforter down in the summer. I think I'll look into getting a matelasse coverlet!

One question, though, for all those with duvets. A good friend of mine loves them, though when I tried one once for my DD the insert just kept getting all bunched up. Is this a general shortcoming of using duvets or perhaps just the one I purchased or my DD's sloppy bedmaking habits (I know, probably the latter:)).

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Valinsv, count me among those with duvet problems. So we will never use one, period. And I have excellent bed-making skills! :)

As for us, we have a heavy comforter from Dillard's that we use all winter, and a cotton blanket for the summer. I looked for a colored down-alternative last fall, but none of the colors went with the bed ruffle and WT I already had. It's always a problem. :(

Susan ~

• teacats
    16 years ago

Let's see:

Winter: Dark sage green duvet cover (with old gold braid along the edges) over heavyweight duvet with matching shams and a dark sage velvet cushion with a very old piece of 18th-century tapestry on the other side. Old dark gold (on one side and greenon the other) satin comforter folded along the bottom of the bed.

Summer: Ralph Lauren "Sussex Gardens" lightweight comforter with matching shams. Very old satin comforter in orange/peach for the bottom of the bed. PLUS various duvet covers that I can put over the comforter for quick changes .... as well as various satin comforters ......

........ did I mention that I collect satin comforters??? LOL!

I know I've mentioned this too --- but our master bedroom is painted in Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage -- and I'm always amazed at all the colors in my various bedding items looks great with it!

Jan

• flyingflower
    16 years ago

Val, Bed Bath & Beyond sells duvet clips (you may have to ask someone to find them for you in the store, I did). They are padded so you won't feel them too much on the outside, inside they clip the edge of the duvet to the comforter. I had to buy a couple sets for my cal king bedding, just doing the corners wasn't enough. DH would tug on it and the clip would fall out. They're a hassle to put on and you'll find you don't want to wash the duvet as often just to avoid the whole clipping and unclipping process. But at least it keeps the comforter from traveling inside the duvet. I'm so sick of dealing with this problem this will be my last duvet. If I have to pile on layer after layer of coverlets I'll do it just to be rid of this annoyance. Maybe I dislike duvets more than most people because a Cal King comforter is so large it's difficult to shake it out when the comforter falls to the foot of the bed. I hate pulling up the duvet on a cold night only to realize there is no comforter inside, it's moved halfway down the bed!

• User
    16 years ago

Every duvet cover we've had has straps sewn in at the corners. You tie these straps around the corner of the down insert so it is anchored at all four corners. Once this is achieved, it can't move very far inside the cover.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

kswl: I'm glad to read that the straps work. Some of the bedding I'm considering for my DD (related thread on cotton bedding for DD with eczema) are only made with duvets, though noticed they mentioned the straps.

To keep this on topic, though, with the summer/winter bedding which I think is a very interesting topic, is there a lighter insert that can be used with a duvet in the summer than in the winter? I would assume that the down one would be too warm. So the duvet could be used year round, but just change the insert with the seasons. I'm looking for something in 100% cotton for summer use.

• User
    16 years ago

I haven't seen a 100% cotton duvet insert, but if anyone has it, Garnet Hill probably does. We use the duvet folded at the bottom of the bed (really for decorative purposes and because I love white bedding) in the summer...our actual summer cover is a cotton blanket:

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

from flying flower:
    I'm so sick of dealing with this problem this will be my last duvet. If I have to pile on layer after layer of coverlets I'll do it just to be rid of this annoyance.

Been there, done that. I do want to get serious this fall and find a down-alternative I like for winter, but it will be colored. The Company Store has some nice ones, but the red I ordered was not right for our room so I sent it back.

But no matter what, duvets are out around here. ;)
    Susan

• blm712
    15 years ago

oceanna,
    I bought my cashmina plush sheets from a catalog called Domestications . web site www.domestications.com any size $49.99 plus postage. they are superior to any flannel sheet that I have ever had. I think they have the exclusive on these , as I looked all over in Florida and Pennsylvania so I could save on the shipping but didn't find any. on page 93 of good housekeeping may 2008 by mentioning Good Housekeeping they offer 15% off that should take care of some postage. Betty

• brutuses
    15 years ago

loribee, is there a window behind the bed or you are just making it look like there is one? I ask because my master only has the glass door going out to the porch and that doesn't give me a lot of opportunity to do elaborate window treatments which I love because it warms up a room so much. I'd like to put up a treatment like yours behind the bed and make it look like there is a window there. Yours is so beautiful.

• annie1971
    15 years ago

I think it depends on your location and climate. When we lived in the Pacific Northwest, nobody changed for the seasons. When we lived in the South, everybody changed for the seasons. Now that we live in the desert mountains, we don't need to change for the seasons, however I like to do so because of my previous experiences and I love to open up the rooms to summer breezes. I find, however, that I must use a washable down blanket on the beds. Down blankets are wonderful year-round bed covers. They breath, they're washable, light weight and they're Labradore Retriever friendly.