Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl_cottage

Celadon green crackle subway tile on a budget?

caligirl_cottage
16 years ago

I have two inspiration kitchens that are white with celadon green crackle subway tiles as the backsplash. The problem is we're on a tight budget and these seem to be pretty dear. I've googled my head off but haven't found them or a reasonable fake of them, anywhere. Does someone have a good tile website for something like this? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

I believe I saw some at Arizona Tile -- worth trying to track down.

If you don't have any luck there, try Adex, though I don't know if I'd call the color celedon.

Crackle subways in a color are just plain expensive...

• lorien_ca
    16 years ago

i'm not there yet, but may be as these are the backsplashes i keep being drawn to over and over. is your heart set on subway? are there other shapes of celadon crackle that may be cheaper that you could like almost as much (from my inspiration files):

(these are metallic, but the color of the backsplash and kitchen is close)
    http://www.kitchenbathideas.com/images/img_traditionallg_ss7.jpg

(harlequin celadon crackle)
    http://www.expo.com/details.aspx?ProductSKU=starlight

you're probably way ahead of me, but have you tried googling for variations on the celadon color? some of my bookmarked tile sites call similar shades seafoam, eucalyptus, pistachio, green ice, green tea, fog, pearl green, and sea glass.

hth, lori

• hoffman
    16 years ago

I used the Adex green crackle subway tiles and they were about $9/sq. ft. That is a lot per sq. ft., but at least with a backsplash you usually don't need that many sq. ft. I think I bought 48 sq. ft. for my backsplash, so the tile cost less than $450. That is still a lot of money, but relative to what everything else in a kitchen renovation costs -- and the amount of impact it has -- it may be worth it if you can find other trade-offs to make it fit your budget. My backsplash is the first thing people notice.

Here's a photo:

• caligirl_cottage
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Thanks Hoffman! Yes, I forgot about Adex. Even though there shouldn't be much backsplash, I also want to do the wall behind the oven. But you're right, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a lot.

Thanks Lorien, I didn't think to search for other colors and I found a blue crackle glass that I quite like too.

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

Since you're looking for a very specific tile, i wouldn't count on this working, but I found Adex white beveled edge subway tile (which is exactly what I was looking for) in the closeout section of our nearest HD Expo. Someone had ordered and never picked it up. Perhaps worth at least checking if you have an Expo near you. Hoffman's tile is just gorgeous.

• edlakin
    16 years ago

great-looking kitchen, hoffman. is it in the fkb yet?

• hoffman
    16 years ago

Thanks, edlakin.

Yes, it's in the FKB - and I posted it here a few months ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoffman's kitchen thread

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

Not sure where in Cal you are, but I was just at The Tileshop in Berkeley today, and they might have something suitable. Maybe Rixi in Agata ? it has a "craquele" finish, not quite sure what that means. It's a 2.5"x5" subway format though, rather than true 3"x6".

I love the TileShop. They hand out samples freely, they are very helpful, their prices are very reasonable, and they sell by the square foot for most things, I think.

They are in Berkeley, San Jose and Van Nuys.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tileshop Rixi

• bethv
    16 years ago

Not sure if you're in California, but if you were in Portland Oregon you could check out the Pratt and Larson "backroom" where they have seconds. They make the most amazing crackle-glaze tile in the most luscious translucent colors. Here's a link to some kitchen installations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pratt & Larson Web Site

• shirleychan4_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi,

This thread is several years old, but I'm currently in the same predicament. I'm looking for green crackle subway tiles (and would like to say that I aspire to have hoffman's kitchen). Did anyone have any luck on purchasing these tiles at a reasonable price (under $15 sq/ft)? If so, what was the name and product? I live in the san jose bay area and I've searched high and low. I found something similar, but the subway tiles are 2.5x10 not the typical 3x6. Any help would be great!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz