Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Seeing CL Game Table in 45 minutes - Worth the trip?

estreya
15 years ago

Hello all, and happy Spring!

I've been looking for a game table for a long time, and finally found one on Craigs List that i'll be looking at in 40 minutes. It's not exactly what i had in mind, but it looks to me to be of good quality at a fair asking price of $300.00. Any thoughts?

It's a bad sign that i'm wondering to myself if it's really worth the drive (it's about an hour away).

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (23)

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm still ruminating, and i should add that i can think of several places this might look really lovley, so it's certainly a winner from the standpoint of versatility.

On the other hand, if it won't work in the room i originally intended it for ...

~ sigh ~

See what i do to myself?

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Its a pretty table, but that is a steep price IMHO if it isn;t perfect for your plan.

Alexa

• determined_sammie
    15 years ago

I think it's fabulous, especially if you have multiple spots where it could land! On the other hand, if spending the $300 on this piece, and it doesn't work out, means that you're "stuck" with it until you can save up some more $$ for the game table of your dreams, I'd pass...

• lindac
    15 years ago

$300??? It's a steal...unless there are issues that don't show in the picture.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

OMG..........I have that same table. I inherited it from my MIL and it's sitting in my LR. I also have the matching coffee table but it's out in the shop since I don't have a place for it in the house.

It's a Henredon...mahogany........and the top of the open surface is leather.
    I'd say yes, it's worth it.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I hope you went to look at it! it looks like potthast or henkel harris type to me but I am not expert. and if it is then its worth it. it is beautiful!

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Lovely table.

Red

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Well... didja get it? Huh? Huh?

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello everyone! And thank you all for your thoughts.

I just got home, and i did get the table, though admittedly with some reservation.

First off, the table needs some care. When i saw the scratches (none are too terribly deep but there are many many many), i immediately thought of all the successful posts here about Restore-A-Finish. I'm going to have to look those posts up for inspiration and step-by-step instructions - this table will need it.

Secondly, the table wobbles, and i haven't yet figured out whether or not the joints can be tightened. It's too dark now to really check it out, so it's sitting in the garage, waiting for fresh eyes and a new sun tomorrow.

Honestly, i have at this moment mixed feelings about the table. The owners home was very dark, and it was on carpet with washers under one leg (which i didn't see), so i didn't fully appreciate the condition issues when i purchased it.

Worse comes to worse, it will be a learning experience on several levels. My greatest fear about this table is that i'll end up using it as a plant stand, and if that's my worse fear on a given day, it's been a pretty darn good day. :)

I will say the owner was an absolute sweetheart, a lovely lovely women. So i'll try to do right by her table.

Thanks again for all your thoughts. As always, it's very much appreciated.

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi again everyone. I thought i'd let you all know i discovered the table is actually a "Heritage." Annz, maybe it's a knockoff of your Henredon?

I just cleaned up the table a bit with a little Murphy's Oil Soap (i seem to remember someone mentioning Murphy's Oil on a refinishing thread, but i couldn't remember if it was to advise in favor of using it, or against!). In any case, i couldn't resist trying to clean it up a bit tonight, and in doing so, i noticed the name "Heritage" on the inside right side of the drawer. There's also a number stamped on the bottom and what MAY be a carved serial number on the back.

What has really eased my mind tonight is that the leather looks pretty good under garage light, and if it appears that way during daylight, i'll feel very relieved. This is my biggest concern because while i'm apprehensive about my wood refinishing capabilities, leather restoration is entirely beyond the scope of what i'm willing and able to deal with.

So that's the scoop for tonight. As the game table turns ...

:)

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, i'm such a boob ...

It appears Heritage and Henredon are one and the same? See? This table is already teaching me things, and it's only been mine for a few hours. :)

I'm going to continue reading ...

Thanks everyone!

• annzgw
    15 years ago

estreya,

My table has Heritage Henredon stamped on the bottom of the drawer (on the inside) and there's a label on the left side of the drawer with info on the type of wood.

I can't remember what I used on the wood to clean it but for the leather I used a quality leather cleaner followed by a leather conditioner.

Your table looks identical to mine, but they were probably made different years.........thus the difference in name plates, etc.

Do the front legs have inlay strips going down the front edges and inlay wrapping around the bottom portion of the leg?

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Annz! Yes, there are thin inlay strips on the leg's edges and i'm guessing the horizontal wrappings are three or four inches up from the bottom of the leg, and they're quite thick. The "by Heritage" lettering on the interior of my drawer is in script rather than block letters, and doesn't include Henredon. I'm sure you're right about the different years.

It's going to be fun learning about this table and polishing it up a bit. Thanks for all your help identifying it. It just makes it so much more fun!

:)

• nicole__
    15 years ago

That's a really BEAUTIFUL table! I loved seeing it!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Gorgeous table.

Could be Henredon but Heritage was a very fine furniture maker that Drexel bought out/merged with, back in the day.

Now it's simply called Drexel/Heritage.

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again, everyone!

Now that i've brought this new game table into my home, i've tentatively settled on a place for it and would love your advise.

Below are two options; one is the smaller table that was originally under the mirror, the other is the game table. Which looks better? Granted, i would never open it in this spot, but it really is too overpowering for the spot i'd originally conceived for it.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

If this table looks good in this spot, i'll get to work on trying Restore-A-Finish on it. Although the photograph is hiding a multitude of sins, this poor table has really been through it.

Oh, and here's a picture of the Heritage mark:

{{!gwi}}

The bowl does look lost on the larger table, so i guess i should get an orchid or some such to fill the space. :) Whatcha think (and i have a thick skin so don't hesitate to be critical)?

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Lovely table. I'm glad to read you got it. It may sound steep but $300 really is a good price for a game table in decent condition--esp. if the leather is good. Try using Restore-A-Finish in Mahogany. Apply with 0000 steel wool and wipe off afterwards.

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Well, I think you got a bargain ( by So. Ca. standards where the pickens' aren't nearly so great). I think it works very nicely by the stairs. If you wanted to place it elsewhere, can you flip the top back against the wall for a bigger effect? Not sure I'm putting it quite right...show more of the pretty table top...if it works this way? All antiques worth their salt have dings and scratches:>) Restor=a finish will make it gleam. More pics, please!

• barb5
    15 years ago

That is a lovely table and I think it looks really nice by the stairs where you have it. I think you got a deal on a very nice peice of furniture!

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

It looks wonderful under that mirror by the stairs, and I think over the years you will not be sorry you got such a beautiful high quality piece that has so many uses. If you have a party you can bring it out as extra seating, and of course you could always... play games at it.

I would be very happy to have gotten that piece for $300.

• estreya
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for your support, everyone. I have to say, this table has been growing on me pretty steadily, and now i'm really loving it. Knowing you all think it looks good in that spot (better than what i had there, yes?) makes me feel all the more confident i should keep it there in the entry. And i admit, i'm also relieved to know i didn't pay too much for it (i just can't bring myself to haggle).

Valinsv, thank you so much for posting here. You know how i feel about your room, so your vote of confidence is deeply appreciated. And now i know what color Restore A Finish i should get!

Leahcate, i think i know what you're saying about the flipped up table top, but it looks like i'm keeping it under the mirror so it will have to remain closed. I'll definitely post before/after pictures once i work on it. When you see a close up of the current finish, the damage will make you wince. I hope i don't muck it up.

Barb5, thank you also for your vote of confidence, and i might as well comment here about the magnificent woodwork you did in your dining room! The fruits of your labor must have you bursting with pride. Well done.

Bigdoglover, you're right about the versatility. That does make it so much easier to justify, and your point about having no regrets in the long run is spot on. In this economy, i can't help but to experience a stronger initial sting over what is essentially a purely self indulgent purchase. But already i've gotten over that (with all your help here), and i'm feeling good about it. :)

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers!

• gigib_08
    15 years ago

Beautiful table and I think it looks great there! Seems to fit the spot perfectly!

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I think it looks great in that location, but I would lower the mirror to better connect it with the table - about 6-7 inches above the table.