Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldilocks_2010

clothing catching on cabinet pulls?

goldilocks_2010
14 years ago

We are getting new cabinets in our kitchen. I really want these popular style modern pulls on the cabinets that I see in magazines a lot.

http://www.knobsandhardware.com/pulls/siro-designs-44-2-stainless-steel-pull-fine-brushed-stainless-steel_g243517.html

my husband thinks you would always be catching your clothes and stuff on the pulls.

Can some users who have this type of pull please reply and let me know if this is true or not? thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: pull example

Comments (12)

• heart-of-dixie
    14 years ago

I have pulls similar to those now and I am always catching my clothes on them. I cannot wait to get new pulls.

• dannie
    14 years ago

I had pulls with the edges exposed like that and I tore more than one pocket walking by. My present pulls don't have that edge anymore and I am much happier.

• plllog
    14 years ago

You can get wire pulls that have a not too dissimilar look and no pocket grabbers.

These are from www.mockett.com:

• smiling
    14 years ago

We call them "pocket rippers" at our house. It's not just the ruined garments that are an issue, it's the sudden lurching and imbalance that happens when something grabs you that unexpectedly. If you're wearing something that won't rip easily, then you're jerked even harder till it finally tears. Meanwhile, you're holding a knife, headed to the sink, or a hot pot, or a glass bowl or tray, you get the idea. The ripped clothes may be the least damage you get. Personally, I consider these pulls actually dangerous so I'd recommend against them.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

we have had these pulls in our kitchen for more than three years. caught my clothes in it only once. The human body is very good at adapting and learning :)
    The only problem is when we have visitors. Dont let them in the kitchen anyway.

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

We have bar pulls like those and don't have a problem with clothes catching. I'm 5'6" and mostly legs so my belt loops tend to be higher than the height of the highest drawer pull. My jeans tend towards a snug-I'm-proud-of-my-@ss-fit so the pockets don't tend to bag out far enough to be grabbed. DS1 is only 5'1ish and also hasn't had a problem with the pulls grabbing at him. His friend is 5'4" and had his front pocket of his hoodie sweatshirt grabbed a couple of times. This is my un-scientific way of saying that individual height or clothing style may affect whether this is an issue or not.

• marja
    14 years ago

I loved the look of those pulls, but my KD recommended against them for exactly that reason - getting clothes caught on them. So, I went for similar look (not installed yet), which I think I like even better. If you want to see them, check out theanimala's gorgeous kitchen.

• theanimala
    14 years ago

I was really leaning towards going with those pulls but the spouse liked a different pull which was not exposed at the ends. A small factor was that it would catch clothes, but the bigger factor is it seems like those pulls are everywhere. We just didn't want something that seems so overdone. We went with Top Knobs Princetonian pulls and have been very happy with the choice.

• carecooks
    14 years ago

Are there other pulls that people find are a problem with catching? I have an insulin pump with thin, plastic tubing. It occasionally catches on things which is really annoying. It's not likely that I would be injured by it but it can cause the same problems that smiling mentioned. Since I haven't chosen my pulls yet I'd like to avoid those that have this issue.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

I've never had pulls like the OP posted, but we had mostly cabinet doors on the lower cabinets in our old kitchen with knobs...just regular knobs. Got caught on those darn things all the time!

New kitchen has mostly drawers and pull-outs with bin pulls on the base cabinets. No more getting caught! :)

• Nicole Marie
    2 years ago

You will hate them. My clothing catches on them all the time and my knees have even bumped into them which hurts! Never again they are such a pain.