Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

anyone here have a 'fragrance lamp' (like Lampe Berger)?

tracey_b
15 years ago

Just curious if anyone has one, etc., and favorite "neutral" scents. They intrigue me because I can't use regular candles or potpourris because of chemical sensitivities to anything artificial (synthetic fragrance), but essential oils don't bother me.

Thanks!

Comments (27)

• twizzis
    15 years ago

I have one that was given to me as a gift and love it. I can't say any of the fragrances are neutral, but I love the Lampe Berger brand Ocean Breeze.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Save your receipt. They are expensive and I bought 3 that did not work, all at different stores. I agree with Twizzis, I have not found any natural or neutral fragrance to them. They are expensive and I think someday will be collector items. I like the look of them. They are very pretty but they are alsov ery expensive. I have several and they are just very decorative and very beautiful but like any fragrances, bad on the asthma sufferers.

• User
    15 years ago

I bought a lampe berger for my daughter and then one for myself and while they are pretty to look at , they only give off a fragrance for maybe 10 minutes after you light them. I bought them after reading raves about them here. Definitely a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Years ago, I used what was called a fragrance ring. You sat the ring on top of a light bulb, and place essentials oils into the ring. I liked the vanilla. Worked great when we needed to freshen the air.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oil ring

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

chloe, you should go back to where you bought them, that 's not normal, 10 minutes only; possibly a bad wick.

I have to put the cap back on mine after an hour or else it's too much scent.
    I like the green apple scent and the creme brulee.
    They also have a neutral oil which you can mix with a scent to dilute it.
    I have a recipe somewhere to make your own oil, it's quite simple. I'll post it if I can find it.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I have had one for about 6-7 years now.
    I have tried all different fragrances and even bought the neutral to mix with them to dilute. I still find the fragrance to strong, almost like you can smell the alchohol. Then the smell disapears completely.
    Pretty to look at but that is about all.
    I also find the lightbulb rings to be a much better and less expensive idea.

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

I had one of the Lampe Bergers and I agree that it was a waste of money. To me, anything that burns has a smokey smell to it. Kinda reminds me of the early 70s when we burned incense. That being said, you can make your own fragrance oil for them using essential oils, which is why I bought one in the first place. I can't remember the recipe but you might be able to google it.

I bought a plug in once at a Whole Foods type grocery store. It had something like thick blotter paper that slid in to a slot that you could put your own fragrance on. I usually put lavender eo on mine and it's very nice, but you do have to keep adding fragrance since you only put a few drops on it at a time.

Recently I've been using the plug-ins from Bath & Body, and like them, but they don't use essential oils.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I love it!! Forum member MonaBlair gave it to me. It has taken a concerted effort to get the hang of using it correctly but now that I have it right, I'm hooked. It lasts for hours and scents most of my 2500 sq ft home.

• tammy518
    15 years ago

Wow, I can't believe all the bad reviews! I have five, and love them. There is a neutral scent that is supposed to just purify the air, but I've never tried it. Some scents are definitely stronger than others, and linger longer. My favorite is the amber scent, followed by creme brulee and New Orleans.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Lampe Berger collection

• OllieJane
    15 years ago

Gosh, I can't believe all the bad reviews either. I love mine. I have three. Two that you can see through, so you can see how much oil you have left, and the other one is solid black, my fave, but I can never tell how much oil is left in it.

I use the neutral one quite a bit in the kitchen.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Maybe a very specific discription of exactly how to light and use would be of help for those disapointed. Also, how to know it's wicking properly, and exactly how much oil to pour into the lamps you can not see into.
    I love mine but the instructions are rather basic yet using my lamps took a bit to understand the exact how to's. They are not like lighting a candle. I have loved all the scents I've tried and have several to switch acording to my mood.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I also have a lampe berger as I saw one in my sister's home and loved hers. I paid fifty dollars for it, got it home and couldn't wait to try it out. I was very disappointed. Too much smoke and not enough scent. It's now sitting behind a chair in my 3 season room. I'd like good directions too. My cheapo vase with the scent sticks smells great and I only spent ten dollars for it at Walmart. Been smelling good for two months now.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. The reason I wanted to hear some more personal feedback was because they were so expensive. I miss fragrance in my home since developing chemical sensitivities. I still have a few candles, but only the less aromatic ones and in locations I don't linger.

What kind of store would you find a Lampe Berger (not online)?

I remember fragrance rings--only problem is now that most my light bulbs have been replaced with fluorescents (don't think that's enough heat?).

Thanks!
    Tracey

• OllieJane
    15 years ago

I think the actual Lampe Berger is hard to find now. There are so many knock-offs. My mom has a couple of Lampe Berger's and a knock-off and she says she can tell a difference. I think the fragrances of Lampe Berger don't compare to the knock-off brands. More cleaner and pure, IMO.

The only time my smokes is in the very beginning of lighting.

The only one store in my town that sells them now, is a boutique-type store, higher end.

Oh, and I love the Peppermint around Christmas.

• tammy518
    15 years ago

Olliesmom is right; it's going to be in a higher-end, boutique type store. They have a store locator on the top of the page I've linked, so that's your best bet to find one locally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lampe Berger Web site

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Tammy! Found a location near me....a place I didn't know existed.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

I have one and love it. They do take a bit to get used to, but once you have them burning properly - they are wonderful.

1. Fill your lampe about 2/3rds full of fragrance oil ( I mix my oil half and half with 91% rubbing alcohol (you can find in the antiseptic aisle at Walmart). I buy the La-Tee-Da oils and they are strongly scented.
    2. Replace wick and place cap on for 20 minutes.
    3. Remove cap and light wick. Let burn for a full 5 minutes.
    4. Blow out flame and place decorative cap on.

IF your lampe goes out (gets cool), you must recap for 20 minutes, IF you try to relight without capping you will burn up your wick.

I buy my oils (and my lampe) from Courtney's. They have a huge selection of lampes and oil. I like the La-Tee-Da oils because they are really strong and I can dilute them with the rubbing alcohol (use ONLY the 91%). The oils are flammable, so be careful and keep out of reach of children and pets.

I like the food scents mostly - Creme Brulee, Sugar Crumbles, Stay Awhile (tropical Vanilla) and Bayberry (for the holidays) are my favorites so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Courtney's Candles

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

lydia, in your 1. do you mean that you dilute your La Tee Da oil with an equal quantity of 91% rubbing alcohol ?

• twizzis
    15 years ago

lydia, I've seen make-your-own recipes on the web for the lampe berger oil. I've never tried them, but had wondered whether they would be effectively scented. The one thing for sure is if it is, it would be quite economical.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone know if any artificial fragrance is used in these oils? My understanding is that they are only essential oils. They're rather expensive--I'd hate to get one only to find out it's got artificial aromas in it.

Thanks

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Lydia, Thank you for responding. I came back to this thread as I realized that my response wasn't really helpful but you did the job for me.

I like floral versus food scents. I purchase La-Tee-Da oils. I have successfully made my own with 91% alcohol and essential oils.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

I've tried making my own oil with alcohol and the essential oils, but never could get the scent just right and they seemed to clog up my wicks.. so I stick with mixing the La Tee Da oils with the 91% alcohol.

Mustangs - do you have a favorite floral scent in the La Dee Da oils that isn't too flowery? I might want to try something different next time I order.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

You don't need anything fancy. I just put a dot of essential oil directly on the light bulb. That way every time I walk in and turn the light on... mmmm! Just don't put so much it drips down, or it will "glue" your lightbulb into the socket.

• andres johan
    last year

There many options in the market you can look over the internet, but recently I bought aromalampa from one of the online wesite svadia and its quite good I am using since one year and its completely fine

• HU-992396820
    6 months ago

We own a Berger oil lamp looking to find cheaper stuff to burn.

• Susan O'Keeffe
    last month

I make my own easily and on a budget:
    1 cup 91-99% isopropyl alcohol
    15-20 drops favourite essential oil (single scent or a combo).
    Swirl together and that’s it!
    I particularly like lemongrass, grapefruit, orange as a mix
    Makes the whole house fresh and breezy!
    Good luck!