Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dylpup_gw

Kitchen/cabinet design checklist

dylpup
15 years ago

I'm about to get into the nitty gritty of a kitchen design. Does any have or know of a web site with a checklist for planning cabinets or even more daunting, the whole kitchen. There are a million details to consider and I can start a list but don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. I have met with a designer but would like to have my own list to work from so that together we hopefully don't overlook too many details. Thanks.

Dylpup

Comments (3)

• kntryhuman
    15 years ago

I just did my small galley kitchen without a designer. I'm sure it isn't perfect and there will be things I'd should have done differently but that's with everything.

My considerations were:

48" 6 Burner professional range
    Amount of counter space around sink & range to work
    Pantry for appliances with slide out shelves and outlets
    Large food pantry with slide out shelves
    2 Single, Tall dishdrawers
    Cabinets with lots of wood character and detailing
    Mostly large drawers
    Pot filler
    Large, single sink
    Tall faucet
    Refrigerator, range, microwave sink & pantry in a comfortable location
    Wood floors

Options will vary from person to person. Just make sure it's comfortable for you.

One thing I read here not long ago is to make a layout of where everything will be in the kitchen and see how the flow works for you. You can do this using cardboard or just stand there and envision where everything will be and how it will work if you were cooking.

My kitchen is still gutted but the cabinets are being built so everything is "written in stone" now as far as placement.

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Well, let's see. I'm still in the thinking stage. I've been reading a lot on this forum and so maybe if I put down some of the things I have in my "mental checklist" others can come after and add to the list.

Appliances:
    Refrigerator: regular depth, built-in, integrated, French doors, freezer on bottom, individual columns, undercounter drawers
    range or cooktop?
    cooktop: size, with griddle or grill? pro or drop-in?
    oven: size, type (convection?), under counter or column
    sink: material, single or double bowl?
    microwave: free standing or built-in, placement, micro-drawer
    Range Hood: style, type, blower?
    counters: possible ways to increase counter space, what material is best for the way you cook and clean, what visual impact are you going for?
    backsplash: material, how does it coordinate with counter?
    Wall back of cooktop: stainless: special mosaic? shelf? niche?
    pot filler: to have or have not, over range or next to range
    outlets: placement (along counters, inside drawers, inside pantry, etc./kind of outlets -regular outlets, plugmold, sillites
    lighting: undercabs, overcabs, recessed, pendants?
    drawers: speciality storage (spices, cooking utencils, flatware, etc.), full extension, easy close
    Pot drawers or pot hanger/ What to do with the lids?
    disposal: air switch? batch feed?
    base cabs: pullouts or drawers, trash pullout, type of corner storage=super susan or fancier (more expensive!)
    Pantry: size? pullouts?
    Storage for broom and/or step ladder.
    Place for cookbooks
    Storage for cutting boards, cookie sheets and the like
    Appliance garage? What will go in it?
    Cabinets for display of special dishes? Type of glass.
    Door styles and color/stain
    Hardware
    Flooring
    LAYOUT, LAYOUT, LAYOUT.

And then there's the whole question of islands, but since I don't have one, I can't help there.

That's all that comes to mind right now. The veterans on this forum can undoubtedly think of lots more.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

First, read the "Read Me" thread. It has a lot of useful information to help you get started. In particular, take the "Sweeby Test" (link to the test is in the "Read Me" thread):
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0215535329506.html

There is a lot of information in the above thread! Everything from how to use this Forum to planning for storage to links to helpful threads. Don't ignore it!

Next, learn about kitchen design principles...i.e., research! Here are a couple of good resources:

National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) Kitchen Planning Guidelines with Access Standards: http://www.nkba.org/guidelines/kitchen.aspx

BH&G Kitchen Design Guidelines (it appears to have some updates to the NKBA guidelines that are not in the link above): http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/kitchen/planning/kitchen-design-guidelines/

Note, however, the BH&G slideshow of "kitchen styles" violates quite a few of the guidelines they quote from the NKBA...so be careful about buying-in to their sample kitchens. BTW...it's not just the BH&G site, but most sites that show "dream kitchens"...most of these kitchens are really what are known as "show kitchens" as opposed to "working kitchens"...i.e., they look nice, but you wouldn't want to work in one for very long!

Research your appliance choices as well. Hopefully the "Read Me" thread + Sweeby Test have given you a good idea of what you want.

Then there are the myriad of other choices...research them all as well!

• #1 What is your goal or vision--Take the Sweeby Test

• #2 Layout!--This is actually the most important item but will be, in part, driven by the results of the Sweeby Test. It will drive the rest of your decisions/choices. Read up on "work zones" (see the "Read Me" thread). Don't scrimp on time or effort!

• General Kitchen Layout--Galley vs L vs U vs G; Island vs Peninsula vs Table vs none; Open to rest of house vs definite room separations; wide open and airy vs small and cozy

• Kitchen Style--Modern/Contemporary, Transitional, Traditional, Vintage, Craftsman, Minimalism, etc.

• Flooring--Wood (engineered, full 3/4" or so), Tile, Vinyl, Linoleum, Laminate (like Pergo), etc.

• Countertops--Granite, Soapstone, Quartz, Marble, Solid Surface, Butcher Block, Stainless Steel, Laminate, etc.; Edge (eased, ogee, bullnose, etc.); 3cm vs 2cm thickness

• Backsplash--Full or partial; Tile, Countertop Material, Stainless Steel, etc.; Simple pattern, Complex pattern, Mural, etc.

• Sink(s)--Main/Cleanup Sink, yes; Prep Sink?; Stainless Steel, Silgranit, Cast Iron, etc.; Undermount, Overmount, Farm/Apron, Integrated, etc.

• Fixtures--Faucets & their styles; Pull Out, Pull Down, Bridge, Separate Side Spray, etc.; Soap Dispensers, Air Switches, Sink strainers, etc.; Finishes...polished/brushed; nickel, SS, ORB, Chrome, etc.

• Cabinets--Wood Species; Paint, Stain, Glaze; Framed or Frameless; Inset or Full Overlay or Partial Overlay or Frameless Doors;...