Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tko_in_fl

What do you store on your lazy susan?

tko_in_fl
16 years ago

I am (hopefully!) days away from finally unpacking all our boxes and I'm mentally trying to figure out where I am going to put things. Unfortunately, I had to get a lazy susan (vs. super susan) due to cabinet size (manufacturer didn't offer super susan in the smaller cabinet) so now I am re-assessing what I am going to put in that cabinet. I had planned to store my small electrics but I'm wondering whether their weight will result in balancing issues that I don't want to be bothered with. (Lazy susan does seem pretty sturdy, though.)

Anyway, what have you found are the best types of items to store on the lazy susan?

Comments (18)

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Pre-remodel kitchen here. Mine is near the stove so I store cooking oil, oatmeal, flour & sugar cannisters, i.e., the tall stuff that doesn't want to fit on the shelves in my upper cabs.

• holligator
    16 years ago

I put most of my small appliances and some other odd-shaped items in there.

• luvnola
    16 years ago

I put ziplock bags, aluminum foil, saran wrap, tubberware and cake pans.

I am not a fan of lazy susans either, but like you, had to make do. With these items it's not as bad as I feared.

• lowspark
    16 years ago

I have two lazy susans. Since I have all drawers in my lowers except these two cabs (& the cab under the sink), I decided to store less-often used things in them. I find the drawers to be much more convenient, but the LSs are better than regular cabs anyway!

So, in one LS I store all my serving bowls & platters which I have a ton of. In the other LS I store baking dishes, corningware, extra large mixing bowls, that sort of thing. In other words both contain things I use regularly but not every day, or things that are large enough that I don't want them taking up space in my drawers.

Both LS cabs are filled with heavy stuff so they don't get spinned around like amusement park rides, and nothing goes flying off the sides.

• neesie
    16 years ago

Oops, someday I'll learn how to post a picture in the message.

Sorry you hate your susper susan. I could think of a million things to go on mine. I find it easy to store boxed mixes and oils & dishes in the cupboard. I use small double decker lazy susans for my spices in one of my cupboards.

Please excuse the unpainted corner; we just removed an appliance garage in anticipation of the granite install.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nicoletouk
    16 years ago

I don't exactly have a LS, I have a blind cabinet with swing-out shelves, but I think it's close enough! Since this cab is right in the middle of where I do all of my prep, I keep all large prep tools there -mixing bowls, measuring cups, cutting boards, small appliances, sifters, colanders, cookie press.

Nicole

• nanny2a
    16 years ago

I have two undercounter lazy susan's in my Kraftmade kitchen cabinets. On the right side are all my glass bowls, corning ware, glass baking dishes, casseroles, mixing bowls and measuring cups. On the left side cabinet LS I store my large bags of flour, oatmeal, sugar, tall cooking oils, and some small appliances that aren't frequently used. Mine both hold a lot of stuff!!

• cpang74
    16 years ago

All my canned goods.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

In my old kitchen, I had a regular lazy susan and it held all my pots & pans for 12-1/2 years. I never had any problems with weight/warping/etc.

• lisa_sandiego
    16 years ago

Mine is above my coffeemaker, so I have coffee cups on the bottom tier, oversized coffee cups, travel mugs and creamer/sugar sets on the middle tier, and less used iced-tea pitchers and insulated carafes on the top.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Mine is a supersusan. I keep my toaster, George Foreman grill, basket of potatoes & garlic, vitamin box, KA mixer,nested mixing bowls, waffle maker, etc. on it. I love that it keeps them all close by and easily accessible. I'll bet your regular lazy susan would hold those kind of small appliances, too.

• scootermom
    16 years ago

What exactly is the difference between a lazy susan and a super susan? I've been wondering that for a long time...is it just size?

• donnar57
    16 years ago

Small appliances....mixmaster, electric wok, slow cooker, steamer, handheld electric mixer, toaster, electric knife,blender, espresso maker (never been used), and more.

I don't know whether mine is a "Lazy Susan" or a "Super Susan". All I know is that it seems VERY sturdy and I love using it for a parking garage!

DonnaR/CA

Here is a link that might be useful: Donna's appliance garage

• lisa51417
    16 years ago

Cuisinart, ice-cream maker, blender, plastic storage containers, metal mixing bowls, and a few things I run into every so often that I didn't even know were there!

• tko_in_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. It sounds like there are a lot of good options for the space so I'm feeling more positive about what may work. Thanks!

scootermom: There was a thread on the distinction between a lazy susan and a super susan not too long ago. My understanding is that the lazy susan has a pole and both levels turn together. The super susan has two shelves that each have a separate turning lazy susan on them. I have the pole type, which clearly seems less desirable, but didn't have the option to get the shelf-mounted one.

• neesie
    16 years ago

Since we bought an existing house I'm not sure what mine is. Super susan sounds like a brand name. All I know is that my lazy susan is a lot sturdier than others I have seen. Both turntables turn 360 degrees, independantly on ball bearings. There is about a one inch lip surrounding the lazy susan, so I've never had a problem with things falling off or getting lost. Even though I just use it mainly for cans and cannisters it would be plenty sturdy to hold small appliances without a tipping issue. I'm not particularly fond of the plastic ones on poles that only cover 3/4 of a circle. I've seen many of those so I'm glad the previous owner of my house chose something a little sturdier. BTW, my cupboards did not come to a 45 degree angle in that corner. The cupboard is at an angle.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• susan4664
    16 years ago

I keep the large tupperware containers on my lazy susan. The ones that takes up too much room in the cabinet, like the marinating containers and salad holders that aren't used daily.. also the large popcorn bowls. My small appliances, such as blender, chopper, popcorn maker are too heavy and tall for them not to fall and "clunk around".