Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Quality of Safavieh Rugs from Overstock

jockewing
14 years ago

I have being having lots of trouble trying to locate an affordable and nice quality rug for under $500 for my living room. I am strongly considering ordering a piece of cut and loop patterned broadloom, but I am concerned it will seem too plain. I am trying to find ones that have a lot of texture and a "chunky" pattern that looks expensive, but the pattern repeats on most of the broadlooms seem too small to give me that look.

There is a really beautiful Safavieh Hand Tufted rug that I really like on Overstock for under $400 for an 8x10. I have found other sites offering the same rug in excess of $600 and $700.

Here is a link to the rug: http://www.safavieh.com/bigpic.php?item=AN543C

(If someone knows how to post the actual pic in the posting, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My main concern is shedding as it is a hand tufted rug. But it is from Safavieh, a respected manufacturer, so I would hope it isn't too bad. Some of the commentors on Overstock say it hardly sheds, others say it's horrible! What gives? My other concern is not being able to see in person how the colors look and how "fine" the pattern is. I don't know if it will go with my green-blue, cream, and brown scheme. Does anyone happen to have this carpet or one like it in their home? It is from the Safavieh Anatolia collection. I had to do some research to find that. For some reason Overstock does not mention the manufacturer. I would love to see a "real life" picture of this rug to get a better idea.

Actually what I really want is a carpet like the one Sarah Richardson used on the den in the last series of Sarah's House, pictured here: http://www.sarahrichardsondesign.com/portfolio/project/sarahs-house2/family-room2

Tommy said that this carpet was a broadloom Tibetan rug (prob. expensive), but there must be less expensive broadlooms like this with a deep cut and pile which creates a lot of texture.

Anyone have sources of textured, geometric patterned rugs? I have looked everywhere on the web, but I can't seem to find much.

Comments (31)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Jockewing, Here is the rug in your first link, which is absolutely GORGEOUS, in my humble opinion. To put this my reply, I right-clicked on the rug pic and chose 'save as', and saved it to my pictures on my hard drive. From there, I uploaded it into Photobucket and here it is.

As much as I enjoy Sarah's House, I don't care for the rug in your second link at all, but I am a huge fan of patterned rugs. Mine are Karastan, Couristan, and 2 small Pottery Barn wool ones, so I can't speak for this brand.

It may help to put pictures of the room and your furniture in this post to help others give their opinions of how rugs like you've linked would look in the room.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My3dogs, of course I agree with you that the Safavieh is much prettier than the Sarah's house rug, but I was worried the other rug might be too busy and I thought it would be better to go with a simple patterned rug.

But the more I look at that rug, the more I want to take a chance on it. I wonder how much it would cost to ship it back if it didn't work?

My3--I have a lot of things in Wythe-Blue like colors and creams and browns-- do you think this rug would work? I'll have to try to post pics of the room. The new couch is a silvery blue-green. Would it work with the rug?

Lastly, any shedding problems with your wool rugs?

• coleen3201118
    13 years ago

I can't help you as to that particular rug, but I just bought this rug from Overstock ( I tried what my3dogs did to make the picture come up in the post, but I have a Mac and it didn't work). It's a Safaveih as well. It does look similar to yours but is obviously blue. I was nervous about buying it since I have purchased rugs from Overstock before that didn't work out and returning it cost me $100! HOWEVER, this particular rug - I am so glad I took the chance. It's beyond gorgeous and looks fantastic in my DR. Of course I also can't speak as to the shedding yet, but it's so perfect that I'll put up with it if need be. Oh and it had the style on it so I googled it and it's still available for sale at Macy's for a lot more so I really felt as if I got a deal.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-spun-Heirloom-Blue-Ivory-Wool-Rug-8-x-10/3102949/product.html

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Colleen, that rug is gorgeous and has a lot more blue which is the color I really need. Can you PLEASE take a pic of it in your home so I can see it? Does it look really expensive and quality?

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

Jockewing-that is a beautiful rug--I tried googling that rug and didn't see any "real life" pictures of it--only pictures on websites selling that rug--BUT what an awesome deal that rug is at Overstock--

Colleen-The rug you purchased is beautiful--what are the true colors of it in real life--It's so hard to tell the true colors online, you really have to rely on buyers feedback on Overstock--I wish Overstock would add the feature for reviewers to add their own pictures of the product--that always help. Can you post a picture of yours?

I've ordered one rug from overstock--I was happy with it--the colors were a little more muted than the website showed but I was still happy with it..But now Im looking for a larger area rug and for the price of large area rugs, Overstock has the best prices...

• coleen3201118
    13 years ago

Here's the rug. (The one corner is folded over b/c I was waiting for DH to get home so I could put it under the buffet!) I was very hesitant to buy it because more than one person described it as "teal" - it is definitely not teal. It is a beautiful muted stone blue. The border background is a light tan and it all goes beautifully together. It definitely looks like it cost a lot more than what I paid. Good luck!

{{!gwi}}

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

OK....I've just got to ask...what is Safavieh?? Is that the style, the type of weave, manufacturer, or what? What is the difference between Safavieh and Sumak?? I am trying to get educated on rugs!

Coleen that is a beautiful rug!

Tuesday

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Colleen, it is very pretty. I am seriously thinking about it now! I think with blue as the dominant color it might work better for me than the other rug. And that definitely looks like a "real" Oriental, quality carpet--not one of those hokey Home-Depot things where the designs look like a picture file that has been blown up in size and is now pixelated.

But tell me--how bad is the shedding?

• natal
    13 years ago

Jockewing, that first rug is gorgeous, but I can't find it or any Safavieh rugs on Overstock.com. Would you mind providing a link?

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

for some reason, overstock doesn't list the manufacturer. I found out they were Safavieh through internet research. A lot of the ones that look like the one above on Overstock are from the Anatolia collection at Safavieh.

• User
    13 years ago

I bought a Safavieh round rug from Overstock for under my kitchen table. This was my first rug purchase so I didn't have any previous experieneces. I wasn't really even sure what shedding people were talking about. As a result when I left my review I said it didn't shed. That could be what's going on with some of the other reviewers?

Well it does. I get lots of lint in the vaccum. I learned you're not suppose to use a beater brush on them and I did for the first three months. Now I use the hose attachment and find it to be a pain. Since it's only one rug I can deal.

I don't see lint floating around the room but sometimes you can see (if you look close and the room gets lots of sun) lint sitting on top of the rug. Can't explain it right.

Maybe the Safavieh rug doesn't shed as bad as some others..I don't know. In the future I will either buy hand knotted or synthetics.

I've had my rug since October.

Hope this helps!

• natal
    13 years ago

Could you at least provide an Overstock link to the rug you saw? TIA

• natal
    13 years ago

Thanks! I'm looking for a different size and it seems there are a lot to choose from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tribal ivory wool rugs

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

colleen--Your rug is great...The rugs seem to look more gold on the website so I'm trying to keep that in mind when looking at area rugs...but I'm sorta on hold for a rug till I know what panels I'm going with--thanks for you picture though--that really helps.

I'd love to see if Jockewing ends up getting one of these..

• loribee
    13 years ago

Here's my Safavieh from O.

I love that I can move it from room to room...
    Absolutely LOVE it, great quality, doesn't shed a bit!

• User
    13 years ago

Lori - I'm curious...is yours hand tufted? You don't get any fibers off it when you vaccum?

• loribee
    13 years ago

Hand tufted? Gosh, no clue...sorry.
    No, it doesn't shed and it's currently in our heavy traffic FR~

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Coleen, I am seriously considering ordering a rug like yours. Do you think it would work with a velvet couch in a color called Silver Sage? (it looks just like a darker version of Rest. hardware Silver Sage-sort of a silvery dark blue-green.) I also have a lot of aqua/turquoise accent pieces in the room and chocolate brown. I am concerned because the blue in the rug looks like a gray blue without any green in it.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I just ordered Coleen's blue rug in the runner size for about $90 bucks. I figure this way I can "preview" the rug to see if I really like it and I can always send it back at a much lower fee than sending back an 8x10 rug. I had just bought a blue Oriental runner from TJmaxx that is "OK", but nowhere near as beautiful as this rug. I'll probably end up keeping the runner regardless.

I really wish Overstock had one of these Safavieh's with a chocolate field with blue and green accents. That would really fit the bill for me.

I keep reading about how fast people get stuff when they order from Overstock. Do you have to do the optional faster shipping for that to happen?

• aiallega
    13 years ago

Jockewing, have you seen this Safavieh rug on Overstock?

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock rug

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

Jockewing: Try Selectrugs.com--they have several Safavief rugs, many the same on overstock--they have 20% off which may bring the prices close to Overstock...

• coleen3201118
    13 years ago

jockewing - I hope it works for you but I really don't think the blue is teal - others did, so maybe it will work. I hope so - it's a beautiful rug.(Good call on ordering the runner for ease of return, though!) The way you describe your sofa makes me think greens will go better - did you happen to see this one?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-spun-Oushak-Wool-Rug-8-x-10/3102924/product.html

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, my runner in the blue pattern that Coleen has should be delivered tomorrow. I am very anxious to find out what it's gonna look like! Can't wait-and hope that this will tell me whether or not an 8x10 should work for me.

• loribee
    13 years ago

fingers crossed for you jock~
    post a pic when it arrives~

• coleen3201118
    13 years ago

jockewing - did the rug arrive? Don't keep us in suspense!

• MJ K
    last year
    last modified: last year

Safavieh makes beautiful, poor quality rugs. they just dont stand the test of time. They look great, come in an amazing array of styles, and aren't expensive, so if you don't mind replacing every 4-5 years then it's a good investment. I still love the look of the one i bought, but weekly vacumming has left it threadbare in patches. Time for a new one - but it won't be Safavieh.

• salonva
    last year

wow I remember Jockewing.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor