Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilmack

I'm frozen and need honest opinions about flooring

aprilmack
12 years ago

Hi friends,

When I moved into this house I imagined installing a polished porcelain tile floor in the kitchen and foyer. After feedback from you guys I realize that the polished porcelain was not a good decision. I chose the same tile in the unpolished version which has a timeless look.

As I get closer to demo day I'm feeling frozen solid. My concerns are "What if I want to change the flooring in 7 years?; the tile would go under the cabinets"? What if the tile looks hideous once installed? What about lippage?; my floor is definitely uneven, and what if the tile is just too hard under my feet?

I'm starting to think that a laminate, which can be changed out later would be a better choice. It's less expensive, it's softer on the feet, and it wouldn't put a tremendous amount of weight on the floor.

Am I making a mistake? The tile is really beautiful (at least the piece that I have.) It's timeless so there would be no need to change it.

Do you guys see the fight in my mind. What are your opinions?

Here's the tile:

Domus Imola tile

Here's the floorplan.

Comments (10)

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

your kitchen and foyer are a pretty large area: I think I'd go with hardwood. Or hardwood foyers and vinyl plank lookalikes in kitchen. the kitchen is enclosed so this vinyl product in there would suit me just fine,save in costs and allow hardwood when you enter the home. The kitchen really is not on"display" to other areas,particularly.

• chitown_remodel
    12 years ago

I think the tile is pretty. I would use it in the foyer and the closet off the foyer and the bathroom off the foyer.

I would put hardwood in the kitchen, dining room and living room (all the same wood and stain)

• Fori
    12 years ago

If your installer is good, you won't need to worry about lippage and whatnot.

You might not need to put tile UNDER your cabinets--just be sure the subfloor under them is the right height so things like dishwashers don't get trapped (actually tiling under that is a good idea, even if the floor everywhere else changes some day).

You can always put a big squishy rug where you work in the kitchen if your feet get tired. Do you really spend that much time standing in the kitchen? (How about squishy kitchen shoes?)

All I'm saying is that PRACTICALLY, tile is good. There is no perfect material out there, ya know!

Now whether or not you want the same stuff all the way though, well, you don't have to but you certainly can. I think wood, stone, and tile are just about the only materials that would work in a kitchen as well as foyer. I assume you'll be putting something like carpet in the other rooms? It would be nice to not have too many hard floors close together and I think I would do them the same since you picked out a flooring that will look good on both spots.

Anyway, I do not think it would be bad at all to do it in all tile. But you do have to like the tile. It looks like a very sensible tile. Quietly elegant and not likely to date itself.

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

I have tile everywhere in my house except the bedrooms and I love it. It is harder than carpet and padding, but I don't have any trouble with the hardness of it. When we took up the carpet I couldn't believe all the fine sand like dirt that was under it. I have allergies and I feel a lot better about not having all of that dust/dirt around all the time. Same would be true if you did wood flooring. I like the tile you've chosen and I think it would be beautiful. Yes, the tile does go under the cabinets.

I didn't pay attention to what size your tile was when I looked at it, but we used 16x16 tiles and it looks great. I like the look of larger tiles and the bonus is less grout lines to get dirty. I would have used a bigger tile if they made it in the color I chose.

Some cons of large amounts of tile flooring:

Where I live I have to keep up with cleaning the flooring more often because of the fine sand like dust/dirt, which means sweeping/swiffering, mopping, vacuuming a lot more often than with carpet. I do it every other day normally and everyday if it's been windy and I've had the doors and windows open.

If you live in a climate where it gets cold, the floor will be cold in the winter unless you install heating under the tile.

In the kitchen, you need to be careful with glass bottles. We had a bottle of taco sauce near the edge of the pantry shelf and DH accidentally knocked it off the edge looking for something else. Needless to say, it was a mess. Thankfully, it was contained to the pantry. I'm sure heavy cans will pose a tile breakage risk also, but we haven't had that happen yet.

Recommendations and things I would do differently:

The tile will be difficult to remove if you ever do want to change it, but don't let that stop you from choosing what you love. You stated, and I agree with you, that the tile is timeless and won't need to be changed. It's also neutral so that it will go with any other finishes you decide on. Speaking of which, what are you planning to do for cabinets in the kitchen? (color)

Because the tile is neutral, I would recommend laying it on the diagonal to give it some character. It does require more overage, cost and cuts, but I think the end result is amazing! If I had it to do over again, I would definitely do that, but we did the whole tile job ourselves and we were on a budget.

Make sure you see samples of the actual grout next to your tile. I picked a grout that I thought would be great for hiding dirt and not showing stains etc. After we grouted, it dried A LOT lighter than the sample swatch. I was not happy with that. On a floor, I think going as dark as you can with the grout is the way to go. If you don't want a contrasting grout, pick the darkest coordinating color. It would be best for you to have sample boards made with the tile and your possible grout choices. I wish I had done that.

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

I looked again and I see it's an 18x18. That will look nice in the area you're thinking about tiling.

And, I forgot to mention that when we did our floors, I wanted wood, but I chose tile for two reasons:

I HATE laminate/floating floors! They sound hollow and cheap to me when walking on them. I don't want to spend a lot of money on making my space beautiful and then cheapen it with hollow sounding flooring.

Tile was considerably cheaper than the solid wood flooring that I wanted. I love the tile and I think it was the right choice for us.

Only you can decide what's right for you and what you want to live with for many years to come. I'm sure whatever you decide will look great.

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

We have the same plan to use tile in our entry foyer and then staight into the kitchen, underneath the cabinets. For me, tile was the best choice. I love the look of wood, but with cats and a dog and just life, the wood we had in our entry hall was scratched and dented. I don't love that look. Ease of cleaning is another reason I choose tile. We did just rip out the old tile floor, and it was quite a job. If you know you are fickle and would want to change the floor, maybe that's a reason not to go with tile. But your choice is a beautiful tile that looks like it could go with several styles of kitchen, so even if you change the kitchen down the road, that tile could stay. As far as lippage, that shouldn't be a problem if the tiles are laid correctly on an appropriate subfloor. If you know your floors are not level, that needs to be corrected before tiles a laid. Otherwise, you risk more than lippage. You could have grout and tiles popping up. I know someone that happened to. Not easy to fix.

• aprilmack
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We pulled up the carpeting in the living, dining, and family rooms. The living and dining room have a lighter colored hardwood floor. The family room has a darker colored parquet floor. The bathroom has a light blue and gray 1 inch by 1 inch tile floor. I don't have a budget to do the bathroom now but would like to think ahead as far as planning is concerned. The second floor is all hardwood with matches the wood in the living and dining room. The office has carpet with hardwood underneath.

The garage door entry is the main entry point for the house. We also use the back slider in the family room which tracks in lots of dirt in the summer.

I'm in Michigan so we only use that area for a few months out of the year.

I really like the idea of using hardwood in the foyer and family room to have uniform flooring. However, I'm concerned that it might get ruined with all the snow during the winter months. Doing tile in the kitchen and foyer sounds attractive as well. I could then put hardwood in the family room or maybe have the parquet finished in the lighter hardwood color in the living and dining room (if possible).

The kitchen cabinets will be cherry with a carmel finish.

• User
    12 years ago

While dollar laminate is cheaper than tile if you DIY it, good quality laminate will not be cheaper than tile, especially if you have to pay labor to have it installed. And you still have to add on the underlayment for the floor in order to use laminate. That floor had better be pretty flat too or you are in for some floor prep that again is only cheap if you DIY.

Maybe you just haven't fallen in love with the right tile. There are literally thousands of them out there. Tile can look like wood or natural stone, or be printed to look like grass or asphalt or crocodile skin. If you can imagine it, it can be done in tile. Maybe keep looking until you find "the one" rather than just settling for "OK".

• momfromthenorth
    12 years ago

Twere it me (and I used to live in Michigan) if you have a sliding glass door in the FR and people are coming in/out all year round, I would either go with wood that is NOT prefinished (so you can get a good seal with the finishing layer) or tile. I personally would go with tile.

But I'm a tile person. We have hardwood in our LR and DR and hall and it's held up just fine but the tile in our Kitchen - which is also a main walkway - is the cat's meow IMHO.

Every time I wash our tile floor, and it's now considered old, I like it just as much as the day we put it in. It is just no fuss. You've picked a great tile - with a wear rating of 5 which is important in heavy traffic areas. We have dropped multiple heavy things (including glass/pyrex) on our tile - also a 5 - over the years and have NO chips in it.

You can still put a nice pad and area rug down over a tile floor to "warm it up". Keep the floor in your LR and DR and see if you can find a matching wood to do the entry/foyer.
    Then you're good to go down the road when you want to change out the tile in the powder room to match the kitch/FR.

Just my thoughts - good luck!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Tile is cold and hard, no two ways about it! But it does look great and is very durable. W have a wood like ceramic in my tv room off the garage. Very functional, neat and clean.
    You can always add area rugs over the tile.
    I would not do tile in my kitchen because I drop things! The other day I dropped a jar of sauce on my hardwood floor and it just bounced. What a mess this would have been with tile.
    So, my vote would be tile in the foyer with a accent rug, but wood (or even a laminate)every where else.