Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlll

Cabinets Frameless verse Framed

sandlll
14 years ago

I was wondering what the advantage of one over the other is? Also, I am looking at Schrock cabinets, how do I tell if they are framed or frameless, I don't see it mentioned anywhere on their website.

Comments (5)

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Here's a link to my list (now about 6 years old!) of framed and frameless manufacturers and a quick guide on how to tell one from the other. I show shrock as framed. But keep in mind the list is aging and things may have changed.

Advantage of frameless: accessibility in cabinets, space in drawers.
    Advantage of framed: looks - some people prefer the frame showing between the doors.

In either case, beware the center stile. I've seen it in both framed and frameless. There shouldn't be one unless the cabinet is over a certain width. If there is, not only is it a huge pain, but it makes me wonder why it's needed -- IOW the cabinets aren't built well or it WOULDN'T be needed.

When you are shopping, don't let someone, especialy someone who sells framed only, tell you that frameless are bad. There are good framed and bad framed, good frameless and bad frameless. And (the most important lesson I learned regarding frameless on this forum), just like framed, frameless comes in all price ranges.

And a final note, there are two other kinds of cabinets:
    Inset - which inplies framed since the door sits inside the frame
    Built-in continuous - My sister has these. The cabinets are actually one very long cabinet instead of individual boxes. This necessitates frames to accomodate the doors, but the limits imposed by box walls don't exist. I love that on her uppers but would still want drawers on my lowers. Anyway, something to consider if you're doing a custom job by a local carpenter.

Here is a link that might be useful: framed and frameless

• sandlll
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks so much for the link, I am off to check it out!

• kodak1
    14 years ago

lowspark- Thanks for this useful information. I'm still in the planning process and I appreciate any help.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

You're welcome!

Here's something else I forgot to say. If the inside space of a drawer is important to you, and I'll venture to say that it almost always is, measure the drawers of the brands you are considering. Frameless is inherently more spacious than framed, both in height and width, but still varies between brands.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

My kitchen is not that large and I went with frameless (had to seek them out) in order to maximize the use of every inch. I can't imagine anything else now. DH says he won't ever have framed again because of the lip around the opening -- especially on the bottom of cabinets, but also the sides. I am no longer frustrated by the amount of wasted space on framed cabinet drawers with side rollers -- half my space was totally wasted before, but most drawers seem to use bottom glides and waste less space now.

Good luck with your planning.