Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasjen_gw

Paint color for master bedroom?

TexasJen
10 years ago

Hi again! I have another question regarding décor/colors for our new house. :)

I really want to paint our master bedroom something other than the off-white that it currently is. Partly because I've lived with that same off-white for the last 6 years in our current house!

The bedroom is decent sized - 12x17 I think, with a vaulted ceiling over part. I think it's north-facing, but it does have windows on 2 walls, plus is open to the master bathroom, which has a skylight in the main part. The trim is wood, which will not be changing anytime soon.

Our bed is white beadboard, and I'd really like a bit of a coastal look. Although our bedspread is currently a dark-ish quilt, but it works okay in our current space. I actually wouldn't mind getting a more summer-y bedspread for spring/summer, but haven't found one I loved.

Anyways, I was thinking a light blue-grey for the walls. I want it to be restful and soothing, but not depressing or cave-like. Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• TexasJen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our bed and bedding. (ignore the kitty who can't stay out of photos!) :)

• TexasJen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And our dresser (hand-me-down, will replace someday!) and some wall art.

• randita
    10 years ago

There are some great blue/gray shades. I have used SW Krypton. Along the same line, but a bit more gray is SW Samovar Silver.

I really liked Krypton with a white bedspread (matelasse, e.g.) and other colors brought in with artwork and throw pillows. I used to use that combo in the summer and put on a heavier comforter combo in winter.

• birdgardner
    10 years ago

You might consider painting the ceiling the same shade as the walls or one very close to it - I think it will look higher and lighter in weight, more like the sky.

• User
    10 years ago

I always paint a ceiling that is slanted like that 1/2 of the wall color. I love the way they blend and the light plays . Here is a link to Sierra Trading Post and their matelasse. It is wonderful and I have gotten all of mine from them. Not sure what color I would use but certainly something from the quilt or the center of the 3 art prints. c

Here is a link that might be useful: matelasse

• TexasJen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Randita - I like the SW Krypton quite a bit. We're also looking at SW Windy Blue - quite a bit blue-er. They're both on our short list for sample pots, once we close on the house.

Birdgardner and Trailrunner - Our ceilings are popcorn, so no painting. Good idea about pulling a color from one of the pictures, though!

• randita
    10 years ago

Krypton looks grayish on the strip, but the blue really comes out once it's on the walls, esp. during the daylight hours.

I loved Krypton in our previous house-had it in our master bedroom, master bath, and hubby's den which was the room adjacent to the master BR.

In this house which is on a lake, I've gravitated to muted aqua shades in several of the rooms: SW Comfort Gray and Quietude.

I'm having the living room, halls, and stairways painted SW Whole Wheat, a neutral beige with gold undertones. I think it blends nicely with the aqua shades.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

BM Healing Aloe. And I would paint the dresser with chalk paint in a heart beat.

• ashef
    10 years ago

I also like BM Healing Aloe a lot and love BM Scenic Drive, which is similar. Both are sort of ethereal & perfect for a bedroom. And I'd paint your dresser, too -- painted & with new hardware it would look great.

• fluffybutt
    10 years ago

I'm really happy with the color in our master bedroom and bath--Austere Gray. It's a light blue-green and very soothing.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County