Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twix6

Final comments on layout before submiting kitchen order?

twix6
12 years ago

Hi

I have been going over the kitchen design for over two months, trying to figure out the best design. Our requirement was to fit in a 48 inch stove, to have sitting for 5 people in the island, and the have the sink positioned the way it is in the design so that it overlooks the family room.

There was a plumbing chase that was messing up the design but we decided to spend the money and remove it. This way there is lot more open space.

I thin the current layout covers most of our needs.

1) Sink row

The sink area has a dishwasher to the left, sink in the middle, a 15 inch trash pull out and a 9 inch space rack pull out. We wanted a 24 inch symetry on either side of the sink that is why a space pull out is added to the trash pull out. It is not right next to the stove, but it is right behind it.

2) Island

Not crazy about the island shape, but accommodates sitting for 6. It looks a bit like a male organ, which kind a bother us, so we are open on suggestions. The cabinet under the sitting area is a 33 inch wide, 18 inch deep with drawers on both sides.

3) Stove area

Pots and pans drawers on both sides of the stove. On the left would be pots and pants, with cooking spatulas in the top drawer. On the right of the stove, it would actually be a pegged drawer for plates. Kids can get it and it is right next to the dishwasher. Cutlery in the above drawer.

Spices in the upper left cabinet, glasses in the upper right cabinet.

4) Fridge wall

The 24 inch pantry with pull outs. Keep debating if we should place the microwave in the pantry, or should we waste a base cabinet. The built in MW looks slick, but space is also limited for storage. Open to suggestions.

Fridge is not counter depth, but decided against bumping out the fridge side panels in case we get a counter depth one.

5) Beverage center

The fridge and wall cabinet to the right of the island in the wall are not drawn well. Actually there is a hole in the wall that is 24 inches wide and about 28 inches deep. So the cabinet and the fridge would be fully recessed. The upper cabinet is 15 inches deep and 24 in height. Allowing space for wine glasses hanging from the top and space for a coffee machine on the counter above the fridge.

Any last minute changes ideas concerns would be greatly appreciated?

p.s. Home Depot quoted me around $10,700 for this kitchen in Kraftmaid, piermont style, off white color, which I think it is a good price given the current promotions.

Comments (9)

• springroz
    12 years ago

Are you going to prep on the area by the sink, or by the range?

• User
    12 years ago

What is the tiny cabinet on the right? And where do the door openings go? Do you have an actual scale plan with dimensions rather than just perspectives? Where is your dining area in relationship to the kitchen?

The individual walls look nice, but they are like pretty puzzle pieces that don't go together to make an integrated whole. It's disjointed and the flow isn't optimal.

And, as a design detail aside, I do not care for the decorative onlay on the range hood at all. It's not enough to carry the space. If you are going to start down that path, you need to upgrade the drawers to a 5 piece version, start subtracting cabinet width in order to add in decorative columns in the rest of the kitchen, and use really fancy corbels, etc. A single onlay is completely out of place. A barrel hood would look a lot better here and probably be cheaper than the wood cabinet one.

• twix6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Probably both but most likely chopping around the stove since there will be space between the burners where the gridle and grill will be.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Can you post a scaled drawing of the space? Even on graph paper works.

You will prep on the island next to the sink a lot given that's where your water source is. Since this will end up taking place to the left of the sink because it's directly across from the range, I suggest moving the DW to the other side of your sink. I dislike prepping over a DW, plus then you're muddling prep zone and cleanup zone. No one can load the DW while you're prepping over it.

And I have to agree with GD about the hood onlay. Sorry!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Agree about the dw location, which is in direct conflict with your range doors. But then, I imagine, proximity to dish storage becomes a big problem.

I don't think the ends of the island need to be shallower than the counter around the sink, so straightening those lines will help the shape a little.

Have you seen the view from the next room toward the stove? You're trying for symmetry on the island, but with the island not lining up with the stove, I don't think that symmetry will stand out. Can you maybe do an L shaped island?

Could there be enough room in the inset area for the main fridge instead of the fridge/coffee setup? -Just considering options.

Like Breezy, I'd like to see a plan on graph paper, so we can see better if there are other alternatives to give you a more functional plan.

• twix6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the first floor layout. Same perspective as the birds eye view of the kitchen design. As I said, the chase will be removed for an open look.

• dseng
    12 years ago

You may seat six at that island but the folks sharing the corners will be competing with each other for space both above and below the counter.

• twix6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do not have a spec with dimensions. Will have to try to do that tonight at home.

I agree about the onlay, in fact I may purchase some more molding and add to the design with some corbels. The onlay there is just for demonstration purpose.

An L shaped island might also be a good idea. I can play around with the design that way.

• User
    12 years ago

I would very seriously consider closing off the doorway to the entry hall and making that a pantry area. Your traffic pattern would not be that much further to come into the kitchen from the DR and it would help with storage tremendously. If it were accessible from the hall instead of the kitchen (a common older home scenario) then you could have the range cabinet run extend all the way to the fridge wall. I'd also explore moving the door to the powder room to the DR. Neither the KIT nor the DR is ideal, but I think the DR door would be better for most people.

What is the narrow door to the left on the range run? It's not shown there on the floor plan, and it's cutting into your storage for that wall.

With the overhead view to see what's what, I'd ditch that lonesome cabinet between the bathroom and the exterior entry. It's in your traffic path and makes you have to make the island narrower there. Take that room and add it to the island instead. If it's intended as dish storage, and I can see where it would be convenient to have dish storage there, then the additional cabinets in the island can work for that and you can keep your dishes there.

Symmetry on an island that faces the cooking area will never be seen or appreciated. Instead, focus more on function and making it work better. I'm with the others that the DW and trash needs to be swapped. If you closed off that hall door to make a pantry and shifted the whole range bit down, that would give you plenty of room for dish storage right behind the DW on the range wall run.