Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sserra85

White kitchen DIY Doubts- need kitchen layout help!

sserra85
12 years ago

So here we are in the middle of building our Ikea kitchen. After changing the layout several times, we finally settled on an L shape plus peninsula.

Now that we are assembling cabinets I can't figure out the back wall.. in one picture there is a 24 inch on the left, space for 36" range in the middle and an 18 inch on the right. In this scenario the range is pretty much centereed on the wall, the next picture is the reverse.. 18, range, 24. That leaves me with more space between the range and the giant fridge. There will be glass front top cabinets on either side of the hood.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.. also.. do you think this range hood will work with all the other elements? I'm having such a hard time seeing the big picture and cannot make a decision on anything anymore.

Comments (9)

• MamaofKennedyAva
    12 years ago

I like the second configuration...more space to place things as you take them out of the refrigerator.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

In your inspiration picture, it looks like you would have the 24" on the right of the range...which would give you a bit more space to take things out of the fridge and set them on the counter. That's the option I would choose.

From your other base cabinets, in the corner...it looks like the range would be fairly centered, between the corner and the fridge, rather than on the wall. I think that would look better and balance your tile backsplash more, too. Love that backsplash...is that what you're planning to use?

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I think I like #2 best both functionally and aesthetically. One thought, does your fridge have enough space between it and the wall to open completely? Just want to make certain you check before you get everything installed.

• User
    12 years ago

(With no actual layout posted, it's hard to tell.) It looks like you will have close adjacent counters across from the fridge for a fridge landing zone? In that case, pick whichever scenario gives you the most room between the sink and the range. That is where you'll spend 90% of your time in a kitchen and you need to have the most space there.

If the sink is not around the corner on the other leg of the L from the range, then do your best to center the range between the fridge and wall as that is what your eyes will focus on. If the sink is on the L, and you have at least 48" of linear counter space between it and the range after shifting it to the left, then that would be fine. Just don't go under 36" of linear space between adjacent sink and range.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I'm going against the others. I would put the extra space in the prep area - so between the range and the sink. When you open your french door of the fridge and take something out you are probably just going to close the door and then walk it over to the sink area instead of reaching around the french door, putting it down, closing the door and then picking it up again. I'm all about the prep space.

It terms of balancing the space - the fridge is weighting down the right side of the wall, so for me, I would want more counter on the left side of the range to help weight the wall to the left side for balance. It's a visual, feel thing for me. Will you have any uppers and if so what is their configuration?

• sserra85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the input.. below is the layout of the kitchen. the back wall is 161", the left wall is 147", peninsula is 72". In either case I have about 6 inches of space on the right of the fridge, the door opens fine.

I'm more worried about the visual weight of the ss fridge with the weight of the chunky distressed metal hood nearby. Thats where all the doubt began..

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I like your layout! :)

I would switch the swing of the upper cabinet, between the fridge and range, so it opens towards the range. Easier to grab something, while you're cooking.

Since you already have your uppers...what is the lower cabinet shown in your plan? That's what I would stay with, so your upper cabinets fit the way they're supposed to, in the design.

Are you using the backsplash from your inspiration picture? What about similar lights, over the peninsula? Are you adding any stools...because if so, you might want to put some beadboard (or other easy to clean surface) on the backside of the peninsula cabinets.

• sserra85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks lavender.. I should have clarified, In the layout picture the base cabinet to the right of the range is 24. But we realized that we had to go down to 18 because it was just too cramped for the fridge door to open. So that's why we are debating putting the 18 on the right or on the left..

im not sure about the backsplash yet.. I do love the one in the picture though. We will probably do some nice pendants above the peninsula and are planning on beadboard for the back.. also will add legs and stools.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

By "layout," I think we were asking for an overhead (plan view) diagram. I can see the pros and cons of putting the extra space in the two places you refer to, but cannot decide which I would prefer without seeing the overhead view. Basically, I agree with Hollysprings (which is not exactly surprising!).

In my pre-reno kitchen, I *hated* not having enough room between range and fridge (I had none at all), but sufficient room between range and sink is more important.

Also, I agree with lavender that the overall layout is pleasing. Personally, I wouldn't let concerns with visual massing override functional considerations.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022