Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

LOOKING for: Boiled Peanuts

CA Kate z9
16 years ago

I bought some raw/green in-shell peanuts at the farmers' market yesterday and I'm trying to find out how to make "Boiled Peanuts". So far I've found boiling times from 35 minutes to 7 hours; and salt from 1 1/2 Tblsps to 1 1/2 cups per pot of boiling water.

Does anyone here know how to make this treat?

Comments (8)

• heyreub
    16 years ago

This is the way I make them and they always come out just right.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Boiled Peanuts *

Recipe By : Reuben Ware
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:10
    Categories : Snacks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 quarts green peanuts
    1/4 cup salt
    2 quarts water -- To cover

This is the amount of peanuts and water that fills my crockpot. Put peanuts in crock pot, add salt and water. Cook, covered, on high for 5 to 7 hours. Add additional water during cooking to keep peanuts covered. You can add some hot sauce to the pot if you like Cajun-style spicy peanuts.

After you've cooked the peanuts to the texture you prefer, let them remain in the water for an hour to soak up the brine. Store in a plastic container in the refrigerator. Re-heat in a small serving-size bowl in your microwave if you prefer your peanuts warm. Peanuts can be frozen and will keep several months.

• heyreub
    16 years ago

If you have extra peanuts, try this but don't cook until done as they will keep cooking and burn.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Parched Peanuts *

Recipe By : Reuben Ware
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:10
    Categories : Snacks

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 pounds peanuts -- raw

Preheat oven to 350°. Spread peanuts on cookie sheet or shallow baking pan. Roast peanuts for 10-15 minutes. Peanuts will continue to roast from their own internal heat for a few minutes, so they may seem a little underdone just after you take them out. Wait till peanuts are cool enough not to burn your tongue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll split my cache in two and try both recipes.

• bigfoot839
    16 years ago

i am not a big fan of the rosted peanuts but the boiled recipie that is listed is how they do it in alabama lol good stuff

• slowlane
    16 years ago

Length of time depends on how fresh the nuts are. Older ones (that's most anything you buy in the store) will take much longer than fresh-from-the-grower peanuts.

I fill my Crock pot with peanuts and boiling water; then pour in EITHER creole or Cajun seasoning--or crab boil--until it smells good. (Don't add any more salt or you'll drop dead on the spot!) I cook them at least overnight, usually closer to 24 hours. They are done when my husband stops "testing" them and scoops out a bowl.

Sometimes I cook them on the stove top, too, but Richard samples almost ALL of them when he can actually SEE them on the stove.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine were fresh.... and I decided to boil them all. I put them in a pot and covered with water adding 1/4 salt. I started tasting them after boiling for 30 minutes. I decided that the texture was correct after 45 minutes and turned off the heat. I kept tasting them for saltiness for about another 45 minutes before I drained them. DH has eaten most of them already. I definitely need to go to the Market and try to get some more.

Thanks for all your help, and I'm going to try roasting them with the next batch.

• pat_t
    16 years ago

Westelle - hint: they freeze well. I generally boil a huge batch and separate them into quart-sized freezer baggies. When I get the craving, usually in the dead of winter, I just zap them in the microwave and voila!

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the hint, Pat. Doing a whole bunch would be easier than smaller batches throughout the year.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio