Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glitter53_gw

RECIPE: Mascarpone cheese in lasagna?

Glitter53
18 years ago

I have a container of mascarpone cheese sulking in the fridge...can I use it in lasagna to replace ricotta cheese or is it too soft to maintain any firmness in the lasagna? I have visions of a mud-slide when it's cut into...

Thank you for any suggestions you may have! ;-)

Comments (12)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    18 years ago

I have a cousin who makes a great version of lasagna using dollops of cream cheese between the layers and on top. She doesn't spread it over the whole pan, just adds a spoonful here and there in place of a more traditional ricotta cheese layer. It's delicious!

seagrass

• Glitter53
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's a big help, Seagrass! I shall 'dollop' to my heart's content! (and hope the thing doesn't slither around when I cut into it! ;-)

Thank you!

• chase_gw
    18 years ago

I also have a freind who uses it in lasagna, I'm sure she dollops too!

I use marscapone in my 4 cheese sauce which I serve over noodles or as a sauce for stuffed shells. Don't have an exact recipe but basically it's an Alfredo type sauce using cream, parmesan, marscapone, gorgonzola and asiago. You could just use the parmesan and marscapone.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

I love mascarpone. Go for it. The richer the better in my book.

Ann

• Glitter53
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What's the expression: "Never too rich or too thin"?
    'Course...if you EAT rich, you're never too thin...on the other hand...it's going to be shared with company, so considering everything else we'll be eating and drinking this weekend...omg...I'll diet on Monday. Again.

I'm going to go for it! D&mn the torpedos! Full speed ahead!!

Thanks ladies....I sincerely appreciate your help! ;-D

• chase_gw
    18 years ago

FWIW.......I called my friend and asked her how she made her lasagna with mascarpone. She said she puts a few dollops on each cheese layer then smooths it out, sprinkles a good amount of parmesan on the same layer and then spreads on a bechamel sauce. Tomato/meat sauce on alternate layers. She only uses mozarella on the top layer.

• HanArt
    18 years ago

So how was it? I find mascarpone slightly sweet. Don't know how I'd care for it in lasagna. That dish is already full of rich flavors.

• Glitter53
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's made, dollops and all (actually, it was a bonding experience, with hubby and I dolloping and assembling together! ;-), and in the freezer until Friday evening's dinner.
    I certainly will let you know how it turned out in case you ever have a container of mascarpone screaming for attention in your fridges, also! ;-D

Thank you all for your wonderful input and suggestions!
    Lynn

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

Marscapone is wonderful with fresh figs. Sometimes I stuff them with it.

• Gay Davis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Love my white lasagne mixed layers of ricotta & mozzarella w Bechamel and a layer of mascarpone & Gorgonzola (soft)...topped w becamel is Devine!

• HU-679906274
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

When considering classic lasagna with bechamel, mascarpone doesn't seem as far off as using ricotta. If you are using no-boil lasagna noodles, thinly spread mascarpone over them then sprinkle with romano before layering with sauce. You will be surprised at how much more nuanced the lasagna is, less slippery overflow of the cheese, and a better overall lasagna. This makes the sauce the star, so make a good bolognese or a fast doctoring of jarred sauce by adding sweet Italian sausage, you can never have too much garlic, just sautee it first and plenty of fresh basil elevates a heavy sauce to a brighter result. Enjoy!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor