Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjocean

30 inch deep counter tops

mjocean
12 years ago

Hi,

We are planning a complete kitchen remodel. I have read about 30 inch deep counter tops and would like to hear from people who have designed their kitchens with the deeper counter tops. Are there any drawbacks? Is it more difficult to achieve good lighting under the upper cabinets?

Thanks,

Marilyn

Comments (15)

• dseng
    12 years ago

If you go with 30" deep counter tops make sure that you can reach to operate any windows...

I think they're a very nice idea - especially if you can take advantage of the extra space by increasing the depth of both your lower and upper cabinets.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Drawbacks there are no drawback, no problems identified, as far as i can tell, based on reading everything written so far in the last three years.

• MongoCT
    12 years ago

The pro's have been stated; more storage and more working space.

More countertop space, especially in a working kitchen where you want to keep regularly used items out in the open.

I used all drawers underneath with 28" drawer slides, the amount of storage is quite impressive. Just be careful opening less-deep drawers over your friends' houses. With less depth to them, they'll wonder why you're trying to violently yank their drawers out of the cabinet. lol

The uppers, you do need to consider storage versus access. I simply make my uppers deeper. Usually 14" or 16". "Deeper" means that you can store larger diameter dishes in the uppers...but "deeper" also means that you can lose some access to smaller items stored in the back of the upper shelves.

That said...my wife is 5'1" and she'll take occasional difficulty with access of an item in the uppers for all the benefits of the deeper lower cabinets.

It simply requires thinking through what you are storing, where you are storing it, and how often you need to access it.

I've had no issues at all with lighting.

Every house I have built since 1995 except one has had 30" deep countertops.

• coco4444
    12 years ago

I was worried about access to uppers (I brought my 24" deep cabs out to ~30", and wanted to stick with 12" deep uppers). For a few days I rigged a large cutting board cantilevered on my normal counter, to a depth of 30". I still could get at my uppers, no issue. I like the function of the depth, but mostly I like how it brings back the fridge visually. Oh, but the best is that Child#1 delivers newspapers where we have to put together weekly flyers... tons more space for laying out piles of Walmart ads! ;)

• stranger4
    12 years ago

Just be careful if you have a corner there- I can't reach the corner of my peninsula (which is 70 cm.) to clean the counter. It's not a huge deal for me, since I just hand the sponge to whichever kiddo is hanging out there to clean it. It would be a problem if the corner was on a wall, though.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

My sink wall is 30 and no drawbacks. My uppers are deeper too. I use my under cab lighting every eve.

• hlove
    12 years ago

Love my 30" counters. I like to leave appliances out (mixer/toaster/microwave) so this allows me to do that and still have a good amount of prep space for snacks/breakfast stuff. No uppers....just 11.5" deep open shelving.

On my sink run, I have a bit less than 30" (forget exactly how deep they go) where our 9' wide window bank bumps out...it's great for keeping my sharp knives accessible to me, but not to little kids. Also houses my food processor that I use on a regular basis and also keep out.

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback! This was very helpful.

Trailrunner your baked goods look yummy! I am also a baker so your feedback was very helpful.

Two more questions for you: how well has your soapstone held up (scatching, etc) and what clor are your walls, they're beautiful!

• dseng
    11 years ago

On the soapstone question - there's a good bit of variation in soapstone hardness. We put a piece of M. Texeira's Sanata Rita soapstone (no longer available) in our upstairs bathroom two years ago and just installed a piece of Santa Rita Venata on a buffet/sideboard. The differences in hardness are noticeable - the Sanata Rita Venata is noticeably softer and more liable to chipping, scratching, etc. Luckily it's on a low use/work area. (it's GORGEOUS, btw). Talk to your soapstone vendor or fabricator about the qualities of the stone you're looking at - the really soft stuff might not be suitable for a hardworking kitchen. The Santa Rita has proven to be plenty tough for daily use, things being dropped on it, sliding steel "tools" across it, my belt buckle rubbing against it, etc.

• User
    11 years ago

Thank you mj! I do love to bake and even though it is only the 2 of us I get carried away and then freeze for later :)

My soapstone has one tiny chip in it from dropping a glass out of the cabinet. I forget it is there except when I wipe the counter. I have never oiled my stone. It has darkened naturally over time from all the use. I can see the difference as there is a piece of the same stone next to the ovens for a landing zone and it has remained very light. The stone in my sunroom has also remained light w/o oil. My soapstone is Green Mountain and looks exactly like the example on their website. Not many veins . It has proven to be very durable.

I love it for kneading bread and rolling out dough as well as pasta etc. I think it is a perfect countertop choice but there are lots of threads here with differing opinions. I do believe that you have to have a quality product/install. Makes all the difference. I hope you will post pics of your baking soon !! c

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I am planning 30" deep counters. I have a galley with no corners. The benefits of deeper counters are:

a) You can keep all your most used appliances on the counter and still have prep space in the front.
    b) Deeper counters also mean deeper drawers and deeper uppers. A lot more storage in my galley
    c) I am shall we say "vertically challenged". But I still prefer deeper counters with base drawers. I can't really reach the upper shelves without a foot stool but that is OK as it is usually long term pantry thingies.
    d) More room behind the sink for storing colanders, prep tools, cutting boards.

I did design the uppers to be 16" deep to accomodate the Microwave.

Hope this helps

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Consider access to light switches. It's a longer reach than usual, especially if you are on the shorter side. Consider moving these to more accessible location(s).

Outlets are fine, because things stay plugged in. Otherwise, love ours!

• User
    11 years ago

There isn't any problem reaching switches or outlets, that I have noticed. I unplug things all the time and don't notice the reach.

I forgot to mention the color. My kitchen is Thyme. It is an Olympic paint color made up in BM Matte. It is a scrubbable paint. I have no backsplash and love love being able to wipe the walls down...including behind the cooktop/fryer w/o any problem.I noted that the kitchen has had hard use for 6 years and the walls are still perfect. Look forward to seeing your project. c

• mjocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,

Love that color Trailrunner. My renovation will not begin until 9/1/12 as we don't want to ruin the summer living in a construction site. We are in the planning stages and there are so many decisions!