Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdedwards_gw

Kitchen window valance?

tdedwards
14 years ago

I wanted a serene kitchen, but now I think I need to add a little color so it doesn't look dull. I can add some color accents at the counters and herb pots on the windowsill, but should I also add some color higher? I was thinking maybe valances over the window. Does anyone have pictures of kitchen valances to share or other suggestions for adding color?

Here are some photos:

Comments (14)

• plllog
    14 years ago

I think it's definitely serene, and has lots of color without clutter, so if it's not feeling colorful to you, maybe it really does need more color to make you happy.

The Proportions and lines of the windows are so nice, I wouldn't want to mess them up with valances. How about putting some small paintings or other colorful decor above the windows instead?

• tdedwards
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I'll look into some small decorative accent, or maybe just leave it alone... sometimes it's hard to know when to stop :)

• jpseajdm
    14 years ago

I read this site all the time but don't comment too often. But I have to tell you I love your kitchen! I agree with the comment from plllog about the windows being so nice and not wanting to block them. If you do end up with a valance, I would just suggest keeping the shape simple and tailored and maybe mounting it slightly above the window since you have the space. That way you don't block the beauty of the window or your light. If I can find an example of what I mean, I'll send it your way.

Again, I just love your kitchen. Can you tell me how wide that openning is where you have the stools? We're considering something similar and your proportions look just right. Thanks so much.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

I don't have pictures I'm afraid, but in my white kitchen I made a roman blind for the window: the mounting is deliberately high, so that when it's fully open, it doesn't obstruct any of the light. I wanted to keep the 'serene' feel you describe, but wanted a bit of colour too, so I made the blind in white cotton, but added a navy blue border all around: the top and bottom borders are about 5" deep, the sides about 2". The bottom piece shows when the whole thing is pulled up, so that all the contrasting blue can be seen (I can't describe it better I'm afraid). Anyway, despite the blind being white, the contrast of dark blue brought in exactly the 'lift' I wanted, without taking away from the clean lines of the window. I'm not a fan of frills, pleats or other stuff like that, so the straight lines of the roman blind were perfect for me.

• tdedwards
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jpseajdm: Thanks. I know exactly what you mean by tailored and mounted high so it doesn't block the window (that's exactly what I had in mind) but couldn't find pictures. The peninsula is 54" wide.

sara: I probably won't end up going with a window treatment after all, but I would love to see a picture of your blinds. It sounds wonderful.

• jterrilynn
    14 years ago

I wouldn't mess with perfection...if you want some color a nice serene watercolor would look nice on the wall by snack counter. Lovely kitchen!

• marcy96
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen!! It reminds me a lot of mine, only I have lighter granite. I am struggling with the same question - should I put a valance on my window to add a pop of some color. I think with your blue paint, you don't really need to add more color and your windows are sooo pretty, I would hate to cover them up! But if you do add a valance, put it up higher so it doesn't block much of the windows. And as someone else suggested, maybe hang a couple of decorative accents, like pottery plates over each window to add the color you are looking for.

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

I think your kitchen looks lovely as is. The pops of red with the blue paint add plenty of color. Maybe you could get another pot of those lovely flowers by the window and put it on the breakfast bar? Or even a red pot or vase with white flowers? Or add some art with that same red on the wall by the breakfast bar?

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

I love how it looks now and the small pops of red color. I was thinking that it might be nice to get more of those pops by replacing the clock with a red one and getting something red above the windows, like a picture of poppies or hang a couple small red plates. So I mocked it up (below), but I'm not sure... I don't know if you want to draw eyes up there or keep them down by the lovely counters and backsplash. Maybe this will help you decide if you'd rather keep it as is or add some color up there:

{{!gwi}}

• tdedwards
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for taking the time, chicagoans! I'm not sure about framed art above the window, but plates sound interesting. I saw these and thought they were pretty, maybe a different ove over each window, just not sure if the style is all wrong. Think you can work your photoshop magic?

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Compliments for your restraint and single-mindedness. You have worked hard to create that very understated corner above the sink and the wonderful windows. I am the queen of roman shades and valences--have made them up for 30+ years in this house--but every time I tried to picture them in your room, they violated the airspace over the sink. Honeycomb shades inset into the window frame, if you need sun control, is all I'd recommend unless you have cold weather. Unless there were a fabric theme elsewhere in the kitchen, I don't like the valence alone.

Consider a horizontal stripe of darker blue paint? or creme? about 3-4 inches below the ceiling if you need to try something.

Also, if it were possible to convert that recessed light into a short pendant light that stands out against the blue, that would also make the sink corner more dramatic.

Indeed, try those decorative plates. They are complicated and colorful, but within very strict boundaries. Doodle with some magic markers on a couple paper plates and try them in that space.

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

I'm not sure I'm feeling a valance there. Do you like sayings at all? For some reason, I'm seeing writing above those windows on the wall. Even if you didn't like it, you wouldn't have much to paint to cover it up. Or how about a couple of plaques that have some writing on them?

I like the plate idea, but I like things in odd numbers so I would want to see three plates. Don't know how you could do that there. It would be two plates or four...so I don't know.

Good luck. Your kitchen is gorgeous already.

pup

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

Ooohh, I, too, love your serene kitchen! Re: I agree w/ the above poster who mentioned perhaps a calming watercolor--perhaps of a field w/ some red flowers or something?? And/or you could add a simple a woven wood/bamboo shade inside-mounted in your windows, just to add a bit of texture. They could either be a natural/brown or they also have them in various shades of white...

I have a sample of the color St. Lucia from this line; it is very pretty; this co. sent samples quickly:
    http://www.selectblinds.com/bambooblinds/tropicalisle-bamboo-shades.html

The brand/line linked below has both a natural and a white option in the style "Lorena"; couldn't tell if your cabs/trim were more creamy or truer to white. Again, you can always request free samples. (Note: i have no affiliation to this co., just had good experience getting samples from them. Not ready to order my window treatments just yet, since we haven't even started our remodel. LOL)

Incidentally, these specific lines of shades are available from some of the other online vendors, as well, although sometimes under a different name. If you are interested in either of them, I have the other websites saved, also, b/c sometimes one co. will be offering a different incentive or additional savings. Let me know if you would like that info; I'd be happy to send it to you.

All that said, if you don't do another thing to your kitchen, its beauty can easily stand on its own, just the way it is! Congratulations on your lovely kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extreme Woven Wood Shades at Select Blinds

• jterrilynn
    14 years ago

A picture on snack bar wall about the height of window across the room.
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/ideas/?action=view&current=huge_1_5205.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}