Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acountryfarm

Please help w/ grout question. pics please

acountryfarm
16 years ago

I have been reading these grout posts and didn't want to hi-jack someone's else' question.

Here's mine...

.... Everyone is mentioning epoxy grout or unsanded grout. What is the difference? Which is the best?

I have classic subway tile in backsplash and all bathrooms ( 6 ) , I have 1 inch hex on all bath floors.

I need great looks and superb durability. Also was originally going with white grout, now going with grey , what about floors? I really am thinking black would give it that vintage look. Does anyone have hex with black grout? Do you like it?

The counters in all baths are black honed granite, so that ties in. I am just worried it is not to "bathy" looking. Please post pics if you have them.

Thank you so much. We are ready to grout.

Comments (8)

• california_dreamer
    16 years ago

I don't have any pics right now (husband has the camera) but I have white octagon dot tile (similar to hex look) in my daughter's bathroom and we used grey grout. Since the tile came in sheets, the grout lines were pre-determined. We used sanded grout. I am happy with the look. I thought white grout on the floor of a kids bath would be a nightmare. I did use white subways in her shower with white unsanded grout because the grout lines were so small.

HTH

• edlakin
    16 years ago

gray grout all the way.

black looks way too distinct. the white is too white, the black is too white. like a negative.

the gray gives you the accent on the pattern that you want, gives an old-timey look but doesn't look nearly as stark and severe as black grout.

also, believe it or not, black grout is a pita to keep clean, especially in bathrooms where so much of the 'dirt' is lighter-colored (toothpaste, soap, powder, etc, etc...)

i've never installed black grout, but we had it in a bathroom of a house we owned, and i hated it. black grout with white tiles eventually starts to look like rotting teeth. gross.

• caligirl_cottage
    16 years ago

I'll give another vote to grey grout. My hex tile floor and subway tile walled bathroom was for the kids and so I used a grey grout on the floor (hex tile) and a very light dove grey for the grout on the subways.

Sorry, I can't recall the type of grout!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Everyone is mentioning epoxy grout or unsanded grout. What is the difference? Which is the best?

Unsanded grout is the more conventional of the two. It's basically portland cement, pigment, and dry polymers to give it strength.it's the normal grout used in grout joints under 1/8" in size. Epoxy grout is just as the name implies. It's epoxy based, and is tough as nails. Epoxies make several claims. They claim to be more color fast than normal grout. They claim to be alot more stain resistant than normal grout. They claim to be much stronger than normal grout. In all three cases, the claims are valid. However, in residential installations, with the exception of maybe countertops, it's my feeling that epoxy grouts are bigtime overkill. Common sense in picking grout colors will go just as far. In addition, epoxy grouts are about 4 times as expensive as conventional grouts, and if you're having a pro do the installation, there's usually an upcharge for grouting with epoxy. Personally, depending on which epoxy, I'll charge 1.50 to 2.00 a foot more just for grouting with epoxy, because it's that much more difficult to use.

One other thing to think about-- if you decide to go back to the white grout, you definitely don't want to use the epoxy. Because of the color of the epoxy resin, white epoxy grouts tend to take on a yellowish hue.

Also, you talk about using hex tile-- the choice is then epoxy or SANDED grout. Otherwise you'll end up with a grouting nightmare, due to pin holes and shrinkage. Trust me on this.

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone.
    Bill, I have heard your name a few times so figure you must be somewhat of an expert. On my subway that is about 1/16 " grout line I should be using ?????.
    I am doing the install, granted I have never done it but am a very capable, detail oriented person. I do want the right thing for sure.
    All my tile is in except kitchen back splashes. I just finished largest bath and really am ready to grout. Just so want to make right decisions. I so appreciate your help already.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

On my subway that is about 1/16 " grout line I should be using ?????.

Unsanded grout. There's one thing that determines which conventional grout you use, and that's joint size. Under 1/8", use unsanded. 1/8" and bigger, use sanded.

Bill, I have heard your name a few times so figure you must be somewhat of an expert

I fake it real good. :-)

• acountryfarm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!
    I feel so much more equipped to tackle this job.
    You guys are all great.

• sheltermagobsessed
    16 years ago

I wanted medium-to-dark grey grout with my subway and hex tile. I said 'charcoal grey' not referring to a specific grout color and my contractor used 'charcoal' which is black. So I'm living with it but consider it a mistake. Some people have said they like it. Always make them show you the grout before they get started.