Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20154839

Show me your warm, cheerful walls with stained cabinets

User
14 years ago

I am on the hunt for color scheme ideas. I will have stained-wood cabinets, probably a lighter shade or natural stain but still flexible on that. But, can't afford the upgrade to painted. Almost all the sample kitchen pictures I seem to find have white cabinets! I will have white appliances.

I need a warm, cheerful color scheme. The wall color will continue into the adjoining family room which is a playroom for my girls, but the walls can't be pink because my hubby doesn't want the kitchen too girly.

Bonus points if your picture shows interesting hardware. Again, the budget declares a simple door type, such as plain shaker. I would love to see ways to make boring cabinets more interesting with choice of (affordable, not one-of-a-kind) hardware.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

A lot of what you're asking for is subjective... I'll start something (and bump this up) by posting my kitchen. However, while I do have stained cabinets, they're a medium stained cherry, so probably not what you're looking for. Additionally, my doors are not plain shaker, but they are a less-expensive alternative to what I really wanted...and like you, budget dictated it.

Our kitchen is a yellow. However, I have been told that yellow shouldn't be used for a child's playroom. Children cannot focus on it and it causes stress/anger (I was just told this last night when I was talking to someone who was creating a paint palette for a day care center.) Is there any kind of delineation that could be a natural break b/w paint colors? Maybe a soffit or similar?

We used BM Cornsilk in our Kitchen & DR but BM Wedgewood Gray in the adjoining FR and Foyer.

My cabinet knobs & pulls are not unique, but I like them and they weren't that expensive...probably mid-price. I have birdcage knobs from DecHar & drawer pulls from Siro in antique iron.

If you want to see some really interesting knobs...check out IglooChic's kitchen!

There is one thing I'm thinking of "asking for" for my birthday this year...a "Manhandle"! They're too expensive to use everywhere, but one can be used as an "accent" of some sort. Loves2Cook4Six has at least one in her kitchen.

My kitchen:

Hardware:

If you look at the middle right, you'll see the Wedgewood Gray on the wall that is shared with the Foyer.

Love2Cook4Six's Kitchen - Manandle to the left of her ovens.

Here is a link that might be useful: MANHANDLES® COLLECTION by Soko

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Meant to post IglooChic's Kitchen as well!

Here is a link that might be useful: IglooChic's Kitchen

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I know, it's all subjective. Still, it's nice to see some kitchens out there that aren't white. I wish I had a better handle on a color scheme, then I could say, post your terra cotta or sage green or yellow or whatever kitchen. But, I just haven't found an inspiration photo I like yet.

It's so dark in Seattle in the wintertime I'm inclined towards lighter stains than yours, but if you can have darker yet cheerful cabinets in Alaska, I guess you can have them anywhere!

Thanks for the link to the manhandles website. A fun browse.

• carriedale
    14 years ago

Just posted some preliminary pics of our work in progress which fit your description...

Finally, cabinets1

• spincrazy25
    14 years ago

I think my kitchen qualifies. This is back when it was 80% done. Still working towards 100%!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

spincrazy, you tease us with this little glimpse! I remember when you were posting for floor plan help. Your kitchen looks great and it's fun to see what was only a colored drawing become reality.

Sorry for the minor hijack.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

spincrazy25, I would love more information on your kitchen choices that are beautiful. I love your floors from the picture on my minitor and would love to know the wood species, the stain and width. I love your cabinets aned counters and would love to know more information about them. Thank you!

• spincrazy25
    14 years ago

Thanks Lisa and Lynn! It's been so long, I can't believe anyone remembers me.

Lisa a- This is the last picture I've taken. I wanted to wait til I was 100% to post my finished kitchen.

Lynn 2006- My floors are engineered hickory, and I think the color was called golden hickory. The planks are 5" wide. The cabinets are cherry,cider stain, licorice glaze from Quality Cabinets (nice cabinets for the money, but HORRIBLE experience with punch items- that is why I am still not done.)The counters are light Giallo Ornamental. Glad you like it!

Sorry for the hijack!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!