Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mass380

Blanco Silgranite kitchen drop in sink with undermount

mass380
16 years ago

Anyone has pictures of Blanco Silgranit using a drop in sink but undermount. The reason I am asking is because I am in process of selecting a sink for my kitchen remodel, we have to install an air gap for the D/W. I really didn't want to have the air gap mounted on the granite, afraid that if the water may back up thru the air gap and flood my entir countertop. I like to looks of undermount, this way I can mount the faucet, soap, air gap on the sink instead of on the countertop. Any recommendation or pictures would help.

Comments (15)

• snowyshasta
    16 years ago

I don't have any pictures; we are planing a standard undermoount Silgranit sink. But I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do - can't an undermount sink have an air gap installed? My suggestion, though, is to try this question on the kitchens forum - lots of experts there who will probably understand much better than I.

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

We've got the Blanco Diamond double 10" sink and I love it. We went with the surface mount, though as that was it is replaceable without having to tear up the counter top. It looks great.

BTW - I googled and found the sink online for about half what Home Depot wanted for it. I found it at Quality Bath (free shipping and no sales tax helped a lot, too).

Same thing happened for the knobs, hinges and pulls I wanted. (Different site, though.)

• mass380
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pbrisjar:
    What do you mean by their "warranty" is meaningless? Have you had trouble with the warranty?

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Oh no problems at all. Our sink was in great shape when we got it. It's just the only things it covers are very egregious manufacturing defects (like bubbling).

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

pbrisjar...I'm considering the same sink for my kitchen remodel. Would you go with this sink again over stainless?

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

For the surface mount over granite, probably. We only went with this sink because Hubby was dead-set against stainless. I don't really like the fact that it's lightly textured so it grabs on to liquids. Other than that, though, it is a nice sink and it blends well with our granite counter top.

• pugger
    16 years ago

We have the Blanco silgranite drop-in 1-3/4. Don't know for sure now if this same model can also be undermounted. We're fixing to go to granite after 5 years & we were told when we bought this it could be mounted either way. Trouble is, I've seen our model in a true undermount design & it doesn't have the flange/rim with the knockouts for the faucets, airgap, etc.

I'll try to upload a picture this weekend.

• kcinkc71
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of our Silgranit sink undermounted. It is the super single, the older model with the offset drain. Hope this helps.

• mass380
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everybody for all the comments.
    My designer suggested that I should not buy the Silgranite sink, she said its too new in the market, don't know how it would hold up after 10-15 years, I should stayed with stainless stell which will last forever, also, the top of the line stainless steel uses better material that will resist dent and water spots. Guess what, against her recommendation, I told her to order the 1-3/4 Blanco Silgranit anyways, I just hoped I'd made a good choice. I will try to post the pictures after the remodel (two months).

• lynnski
    16 years ago

Mass380--it's a fantastic sink. I can't imagine you'll regret it. We've had the big single undermounted in soapstone in one house for about 5 years. We recently top-mounted another Silgrant with a wood counter in our vacation home. I guess it's obvious that we couldn't imagine a better sink!

• sunny-jim
    15 years ago

Warning-my brand new double bowl w/ built in drain bd. silgranit sink got a crack that leaks! Best guess is it had a hairline crack and when poured hot pasta water in sink to drain it cracked! Heard a "POP!" They are sending a new sink, but warranty doesnÂt cover installation. They said from now on I should run cold water to mix w/ the hot when draining things. This sink is supposed to take the heat, but 2 people at Blanco said to do this. I would not have bought sink promoted to be so strong if I knew it needed TLC. I've NEVER had to do that w/ ANY sink I've ever owned, and I've lived a LOT of places. And this is the most expensive sink I've ever had! IÂm writing this to share w/ readers, and to find out if anyone else has had this problem.

• debsan
    15 years ago

My sink is not Blanco, but it is a very similar composite granite material. Though I like the sink, I would encourage you to search the kitchens forum for more comments about this type of sink before making a commitment to one. I too find that my sink is too deep. Not only does it require too much water, but it isn't a comfortable depth to wash at for long periods. On the upside, I love being able to wash large things, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably choose differently. One more thing, several people have expressed problems with whitish haze on their darker colored sinks. Though mine is easy to clean, I don't like having to wipe the whole thing when the haze forms. I might as well be drying the waterspots of my old stainless sink.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

I have two Blanco silgranite undermount sinks in my kitchen. They are bisque in color. I love them. Much better than stainless. They will not scratch or discolor. They are heat resistant to 400 degrees. I have poured lots of hot water in them ice cold and had no trouble. They are easily cleanable with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and then they look like new. For the price of a really good stainless sink you could buy three of these Blanco sinks online. Also, I love how deep they are! I bought mine from homeclick.com and they are great!

• jeannie_mk
    15 years ago

My Silgranit sink is less than 5 mos old and just cracked after draining pasta...I wish I had read this forum sooner...the specs say 536 degrees...so you shouldnt HAVE to run cold water with it...mine is an undermount with a granite counter-top and tile back-splash. I'm worried those items will be damaged if we try to replace the sink - this could get QUITE expensive. :( Sunny-jim, did you replace your sink, or possibly, find a way to repair??