Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Smartkey lock not secure?

janesylvia
11 years ago

I bought Baldwin levers for all my interior doors to be replaced. For the locks on the house-to-garage door, I don't know if it's better to buy the schlage or badwin. One thing I don't like schlage is its locking mechanism that can accidentally lock yourself out. But I saw the following video, which says the smart key feature of baldwin or kwikset is not safe. Is it a concern?

Thank you very much.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Open a Kwikset Smart Key (same as baldwin) Lock in 10 seconds Video by Mr. Locksmith

Comments (6)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I guess I wouldn't worry about the house-to-garage door lock the same way I'd be concerned about the front door lock. They have to get into your garage first, before they got to this lock. They are more likely to go through a window, or back door.

Also, what about Schlage don't you like? I have them and don't find them any trouble.

• janesylvia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much kirkhall. That makes sense.

For the schlage, after you twist the little thing on the handle to lock from inside, you can still turn the lever, which can result in accidentally locking yourself out, especially for little kids. For kwikset and baldwin keyed handle, after you twist the little thing on the handle to lock it, you can not turn the lever, so you would not accidentally lock yourself out.

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Really!
    If the keys are not in your possession, you've locked yourself out.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

That is actually a safety feature, and may be required in your municipality. The idea is that someone/anyone/a child not familiar with the door knob, will be able to exit the house in an emergency even if the door is "locked" without needing to know how to unlock the door. They have a name (maybe panic lock? not sure).

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Well, to be fair, if you google "how to pick medeco lock" you'll find a nice tutorial on that, too, and those are generally considered very good locks.

I was thinking of a schlage keypad lock, but youtube has a dandy helpful video on using a pick gun on those.

Basically, I don't think there's anything that can't be gotten into if you have the right equipment, and the internet shows people who might not ever figure it out on their own just what to do.

(Edited to make sense after the removal of objectionable posts from this thread.)

This post was edited by writersblock on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 0:42

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Just about any conventional lock and be opened in seconds by someone with a modicum of skill. If you're worried about being locked out, replace the keyed locket with a passage lockset and add a dead bolt. Or hide a spare key in your garage.