Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budge1_gw

chandelier is perfect -thanks les!

budge1
15 years ago

Okay, I hate it when people post about something and then don't include pix, but I really don't have time right now. Later tonight, I promise. I just had to post tho because it is just up and it is so wonderful, it totally changes the room.

I had a certain chandelier in mind, but when I posted on the forum, les said I should try another. We couldn't afford that one, but found another similar one at RH that went on sale for more than 50% off.

I still don't have shades for it, but even without, it is such an improvement. Thanks everyone for your input.

Comments (12)

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I'm so happy for you . . and I can't wait to see pics.
    Lynn

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I seem to recall this thread. Can't wait to see the pics.

• budge1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, here it is. I know it looks a bit tiny in the long shots, but it really seems big enough in person (and will look a bit bigger with shades). If you can make it out in the middle of the fern of the other pic, it looks more true to the size it looks in real life. The paper mock up is of the size of shade RH has pictured on their website. It seems a bit small to me. Any opinions?

Also, included a pic of the sisal rug we found cheap. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I think it works.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

The chandelier looks great--perfect choice! And I think the rug really does open up the room--another perfect choice. :) Would you mind sharing your source for the rug? Is it relatively soft to walk on?

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

budge, your living and dining rooms are turning out great! When you're finished, can you come do mine?! :)

• whenicit
    15 years ago

Love the rug and the shades look great to me.

• budge1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with the way things are turning out - even if it is a far cry from my original vision.

Organic, the rug was a Homesense find for less than $200 and there was no manufacturer on the tags - sorry. In my search for the perfect rug, I found the Seminole rug by Feizy. It was made of jute and woven in a way to make it really soft to walk on and lovely to look at. They are discontinuing it but I did find it on line. It just would have been up around the $5-600 mark (shipping to Canada - the original price is good), and when I found this one I couldn't resist.

Bungalow, you would NOT want me in your house! This has taken me since November and I'm not even near finished. Fun- verging on obsession.

Next decision - what colour tile or stone to do around the fireplace. Any thoughts?

• budge1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This was the old chandelier - which i love, but just isn't right for the dining room. We have a circular landing at the top of the 2nd floor stairs where it should look spectacular (in a couple of weeks when DH forgets how hard it was to put up this one :-)

We also found a new oak buffet on Craig's list for $200. It matches the wood work in the room exactly and, best of all, the drawers work! Nothing like having a huge piece of furniture in the room that doesn't function.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I love your brown chairs, are they new?

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

How about travertine tiles for the fireplace surround? Although the architectural elements of your home look bungalow/arts-and-crafts-ish to me. Since you don't have that much tile to replace on the fireplace, you might be able to afford some really cool period tiles? Or maybe a few American Bungalow accent tiles spaced out among less expensive tiles? I think it would be nice to create an art piece with your fireplace tiles. See link. This is one of my favorite sites. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bungalow Bill

• gwendolynne
    15 years ago

I love the whole look you have going on, your woodwork is gorgeous!

If you want to stay with the bungalow/Arts & Crafts look for your fireplace, have a look at Verdant tile by Mary Philpott. Mary is an artist in Stratford, ON who makes tiles by hand in the Arts & Crafts tradition. I ordered some samples recently for consideration in my kitchen and they are gorgeous!

I'm in the Ottawa area, so I know how hard it is sometimes to find good Canadian sources. It's nice to find something beautiful, handmade and local!

Here is a link that might be useful: Verdant Tile Co.

• budge1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the tile sites. I think I will spend several hours pouring over those tiles. I'm pretty much a monochromatic wimp, but we also have to do the hearth and I'm thinking something cream (I like the travertine idea) for the surround and then maybe some special tiles incorporated in the hearth.

gk5040, the upholstered chairs and the dining chairs are all new.