Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mossfern_gw

Broke in my new cararra counter tops

Mossfern
13 years ago

Had 20 people for dinner last night. I asked those guests who insisted on helping to be mindful of the counters.......

So, I have these marks or shinier spots or duller spots that you can see at a certain angle. Do I try to 'fix' them if there is a way, or do I hope that I get more sooner so it's consistent?

Comments (7)

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

Etching is just a way of life with marble. I haven't tried to "fix" any of mine, but I am a little more careful about using coasters. But, if it etches anyway, that's OK by me.

Some people have thought about going ahead and etching it on purpose just to get it over with. That's one option that sounds like a good course of action if the smaller etching really bugs you.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

It's up to you. Does the etching bug you? I'm one of the instigators of the "etch it on purpose" at the begining theory. You could take a lemon and rub it around the areas to blend the rings in. The etching would be more consistent that way, but it would still be etching and look different than the rest of your stone.

Or just leave it and have a few more parties to get the patina going faster!

Hey, why wasn't I invited? ;)

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

breezygirl Or just leave it and have a few more parties to get the patina going faster!

I like the way you think!

• Mossfern
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I'll give each etch mark a pet name, and enjoy my growing circle of "friends." :)

The fabricator mentioned being careful about oil. I hadn't heard about that before. Is there a difference between oil marks and etching?

I like the idea of having more parties, but honestly I am absolutely pooped today.

• jerzeegirl
    13 years ago

The fabricator mentioned being careful about oil. Etching is on the surface, but oil will soak in below the surface and you will have to use a poultice to get it out.

• Mossfern
    Original Author
    13 years ago

considering that the counters were sealed twice and I didn't let anything sit on them for very long. I think that I will just take the path of least resistance and enjoy the look of use over time assuming that the marble is a living surface. Maybe it will catch up to fitting in with my 120 year old house sooner rather than later.

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

Mossfern, I don't know if this is helpful to your particular situation or not, but I actually bought an 8"x3" clear acrylic tray for my pepper mill and my olive oil bottle that are forever next to my stove. The fact that it's clear keeps it from taking away from the overall aesthetic of the marble and it keeps the drips off of the surface of the stone.