Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Celtic Solstice - Bonny Hunter's mystery this year

msmeow
10 years ago

Today Bonnie posted fabric requirements for this year's mystery quilt -Celtic Solstice! I have been thinking I would like to do her mystery this year, now I know I have to! LOL. I love the colors and we just cruised on the Celebrity Solstice, so that must be a sign.

I don't know how to copy and paste a link on my iPad, but her blog is Quiltville's Quips and Snips.

Donna

Comments (13)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

I posted a link. Hope it works. I loved that she also stopped at Mary Jo's like we all do on the way to retreat. Now everyone can see what we have been talking about. It's like a tourist spot for quilters! But, you need to take a list with you because your eyes glaze over after awhile.

This is an interesting mystery. I might try it myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery quilt

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I just recently did last year's mystery, Easy Street, and loved it. I plan to do this year's mystery too. I think I am even going to use her colors since I can do it totally from stash.

Jackie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I saw her post and am in love with the colors she's using. I'd like to follow along, but I'm still working on using up orphans and trying to finish those UFO's! But, well, you never know....... :-)

SharonG/FL

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

It does look interesting! I've never heard of a mystery quilt until I started reading her blog...

As an aside, on Tuesday I watched quilt cam live and chimed in with an e-mail and she read it live right on the broadcast.... it was exciting! I feel a connection to her because she has the same vintage metal Brother straight stitcher I do and she name it Bobby, which is of course my name! She also has the same vintage travel iron as I do!

Anyway, it will be fun to watch the mystery quilt thing unfold...

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

How fun, Bobby!

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's cool, Bobby! I sent an email one day asking the name of a pattern on her site and she wrote back in about 5 minutes.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I've never done a BH mystery quilt, but I so like the colors and the smaller size works for me....,, plus I have all the rulers she mentioned and use the easy angle all the time....ye gads...as if I didn't have enough projects...but I'm intrigued.
    Any advice from those of you who have done one of her mystery quilts?

V.

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I want to do this mystery quilt. I am hoping life doesn't get in the way again.
    I would love to take a class from her. I follow her blog and have put her books on my Christmas wish list.
    Linda OH

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda, thanks for posting the link.

Valarie, I did her mystery a few years ago, called Roll Roll Cotton Boll. I enjoyed it for the most part, except for the string blocks. When I started them I decided I hated making them (and I'm not usually crazy about the way they look, either), so after making about half of them I stopped and went on to the next step.

The project ended up getting put away for a while, partly b/c of other things to do and partly b/c of trying to decide what to do in place of the string blocks. When I got it back out I decided to go ahead with the strings, and I didn't mind making them then. :) And I like them in the finished quilt.

It was fun to do, and Bonnie gives excellent instructions. She often uses special rulers but also gives instructions for those without the special rulers. It's fun to work along with others who are also working on the quilt. And it's a great way to use up stash! LOL

Check out her free patterns on her blog to see the style of quilts she designs. If you like those you will like your finished mystery quilt. :)

Donna

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Donna... Good advice!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

I don't usually like mystery quilts because I want to see what the end result will be so I can have better control of the whole thing, and get discouraged when they say to cut a zillion squares only to find I could have sewn a couple of strips together for 4-patches. But, at least she's given a yardage amount and it looks like there will be directions for using both scrappy and yardage. That's a good thing! I'm still undecided.....

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sharon, scrappy is her thing! And she does often give instructions for sewing 2 strips together then cutting them into sub units.

• lindaoh_gw
    10 years ago

I picked up my paint chips today and hope I can find the time to do this one.
    Linda OH

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH