Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Sneak Peak... New furniture is here!

tinker_2006
15 years ago

recap: we *just* moved into our new home last week! I still have plenty more to unpack, but I can't help wanting to put it all together, especially since the new furniture arrived on Friday! I was very worried about it, but I like the gold sofa and the striped chairs - both are very different from my previous leather furniture.

PLEASE IGNORE THE BUILT-IN UNITS - I have just started to think about them!

So issue of concerns are:

#1)

The fireplace - still don't really love it! Think I should maybe get a mantel surround in Cherry.. what do you think? I added the metal piece and it actually helped it somewhat - or does it look strange??!

#2)

the rug... it is one that I had, and I would like to replace it. It's a 9 x 11 and I was wondering if it would be better as as 8 x 10 leaving more wood exposed. I also think maybe it need more color????

#3)

The lamps. Just picked them up at homegoods, but I don't think I am loving them. What are your thoughts?

#4)

The picture over the mantel. The smaller one (I know it's too small) is more muted, and maybe worked better for this room..??? The larger picture I have 14 days to return! I am just not sure... I do like the scenery - but maybe it's too bright?

I plan to get drapes/window treatments in the burnt red/cinnamon color - picking up the color in the chairs, how does that sound?

Open to all negative and positive feedback - as always - THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

(it's dark outside - about to rain - pictures could be better)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Smaller picture:

{{!gwi}}

larger - (new)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (76)

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

I like your new arrangement and think the sofa table behind the sofa would be a great addition. Then get rid of the end table. By the way I like the first and third photo of the new lamps you posted.
    Your room is very warm and inviting. I am envious.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'd put the square table where the round one is. With the wide open view, the pedestal looks a little wimpy. I love the table, though.

Of the new lamps, I like one and three. Maybe one a little more for the shape but three for the pattern. What you could do is sneak over to n1cf2's house and steal hers :).

• annzgw
    15 years ago

DH isn't going to like hearing this, but have you tried reversing the chairs and sofa? There will be the issue of where to plug the lamp if you want one between the chairs, but I'd probably nix the lamp and put other accessories on the table such as a plant, figurine, etc.

That arrangement (I hope) would give a more open feeling as you enter the room.

I like the table on the outside end of the sofa since it looks too crowded next to the built-in. I say hang the print! Love your flooring!

• queentasha
    15 years ago

Your new furniture is gorgeous but I can't stop drooling over your sunroom... oh my! It's such a beautiful space, wow!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

parma42, I did change the tables - the rectangle one is so much better!!! I moved the round one to DH's room upstairs!

oh annz... DH WILL kill me!! I'll need to wait a couple days to try that, but I definitely see your point! It certainly is worth looking at.

queentasha, THANK YOU! I can't wait to have the time use it - soon!!

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I like the 1st lamp best in your series of 3 pics.

The new arrangement looks great & I think that the square table between the 2 chairs probably works best. Maybe you could try a swing are floor lamp behind the chair closest to the built in & reserve the table top space for something else as suggested by Annz.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

before I make DH move the furniture again (he has a bad shoulder!!) I was wondering ... wouldn't the outdoor pool area be blocked too much if the sofa was on that side?

I need to take another pic and post it with the rectangle table - it looks nice! I'll also try it without the lamp and place a floor lamp beside one chair. I hung the picture... and I really need to finish unpacking a few more boxes!!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love your new furniture, the Blonde paint color, the picture above the fire place and the first lamp in the list of new lamps. What a beautiful home you have. I also love the two chairs a lot.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Okay, first of all: I am in love with your new furniture. In love. Especially those chairs. LOVE the round table between them.

My other thoughts:

1) end table does not work. One a little lower and a little smaller would be fine. (see link)
    2) lamps do not work. Of the lamps you posted, I like all but #2. If you end up getting a smaller end table for next to the sofa, use a different lamp there than the same lamp you choose for between the chairs. For example, lamp #1 would work nicely next to the sofa, and lamp #4 between the chairs: complementary rather than matchy-matchy. :)
    3) rug is great--no problem there at all; lovely.
    4) larger painting over the mantel, for sure: looks perfect.
    5) cannot stand the decorative metal on the fireplace--it looks dinky and cheap next to all the other beautiful pieces in the room--please remove. :)

Gorgeous house; gorgeous furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small side tables

• annzgw
    15 years ago

tinker,

Whether the sofa would block more of the view was a concern of mine also, but you'll probably be able to quickly determine which layout works best for you and family.
    How much room you need entering the room and how large the room actually is can be difficult to determine via photos! :)

• les917
    15 years ago

I would not reverse the chairs and couch - you want the more open view to be out to the sun porch, which is what the chairs allow. The couch with a sofa table behind it acts as a nice way to define the seating area. It gives a visual cue from the entry without feeling too much like it blocks the entrance since the couch back is low enough when you are standing not to be an issue.

I would consider using a glass and metal console table, rather than another piece of wood. WIth all the built-ins and the mantel you are adding, plus the wood floors, I think the glass and metal would be a nice compliment. This one is kind of neat because you can order different end styles and finishes, but I am sure there are others out there that are similar. It also won't feel quite as imposing at the entrance to the room, and will allow your couch to still be seen:

grace collection

You might consider a lamp like this between the two chairs. It gives a table space, but keeps the cord close to the ground and also doesn't create too much bulk to block the view to the sunroom.

tray floor lamp

Then on the sofa table,a single porcelain lamp, perhaps something like this, that brings in some of the blue:

port royal lamp

Finally, fabric like this might be nice for some pillows on the couch:

hamlet blue

Then move the solid red pillows off the couch and onto the chairs.

• lindasc
    15 years ago

Simply beautiful. The first thing that jumped out at me was the shiney lamp shades, they were not cozy looking like the furniture. I have found that same mistake when I have bought lamps and then realize I needed different shades.Keep going--you are doing a great job. Enjoy!!!!!

• sanborn5
    15 years ago

I actually liked the lamps from home goods. (My favorite store) But I must say I like the first lamp better, from your new choices. Could you tell me where you got the print and frame you labeled smaller picture which is muted? I really love it.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Post a pic of your new arrangement when you can. I can hardly wait to see the square table where the round one was!

The table lamp that Les picked out is the chunkier style and kind of pattern I was liking for your table.

Things are starting to look great!

• poshspace
    15 years ago

I like the ceramic lamps with the gold and RED tones--added another texture to the room.
    Another HomeGoods fan!!
    Susan

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

organic_smallhome, I stared and stared a while at the metal piece on the fireplace (which is attached by Velcro) and then removed it. You're right - it looks MUCH better off than on!

Ann, it is so hard to tell space from photo's! I think for now, we will keep this layout, but I LOVE knowing I have other options. Our last 2 homes did not - furniture stayed where put.

Les, I should have mentioned that blue is not my color, however, surprisingly - I LOVE that fabric!! I just may step out of my comfort zone again! I just love the table lamp too, and to clarify - on the sofa/console table you would use 1 lamp (with balancing accessories) or 2 lamps? Center 1 lamp - or to the side?

I am going to look at more console tables today keeping an open feel in mind. Not sure on the glass/metal - although it makes 100% sense... just something I don't "love". But I will look with an open mind!! LOL

lindasc, thank you, and good point on the shades! More formal - which is actual what I tend to gravitate to, but I am trying to achieve a warm, inviting atmosphere *with a touch of elegance).

sanborn5, thank you as well! I too like the lamps, I just don't feel they are working with this room. I may keep one and use in upstairs in our bonus room! That smaller picture is almost 2 years old... and I got it at one of my favorite stores... HOMEGOODS! LOL.

parma42, as you requested - more pictures!

Thanks Susan!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

and the fireplace

{{!gwi}}

• phoggie
    15 years ago

tinker, now that's I what I am talking about!!...love the cherry mantel and surround that you did on the fireplace and taking down that metal did wonders....now I can say that I really LOVE it~~
    I vote for the first lamp that you had with red and gold...and the arrangement of furniture with the chairs in front of the door.
    Love your furniture selection...but I have liked everything you have showed us so far and waiting for more. You do a great job!!

• les917
    15 years ago

If you don't like blue, you might consider bringing in either some black, or a rich olive/moss green, but I think the blue might be a great 'cool' to balance all the warm tones - look how pretty the blue is in the pix above the mantel.

I would do one lamp off to one side. What I was trying to avoid was coming into the entry hall, looking into the room, and essentially seeing three lamps in a row. Two on the console, and then the lamp across would line up visually in between them. I think one larger lamp would be nice, balanced by accessories as you said.

If the lines of the glass and metal console I posted are too modern or simple, look for a wood and metal console with a glass inset on top.

One other thing - and your DH is gonna LOVE me for this one - have you tried turning the rug so that it runs with the longer sides parallel to the seating, rather than parallel to the fireplace? Right now the chairs feel like they are kind of perched on the edges at the sides of the rug - putting the rung the other way would give a more open feeling to the seating, I think.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Lookin' good, tinker!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Les, yes - I see the blue (didn't notice it before) in the picture! I certainly am up for options and I will be visiting the local meg fabric store soon! The 1 lamp on console table makes prefect sense, and I am on the hunt for a console table that I like. Now.. to get DH in the moving mode again...

Lamps! What about THIS lamp? I just found it at Marshall's for $49.00! I can return it, but it does have the red and gold in it.. what do you think - yea or nay??

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• bac717
    15 years ago

I like the new lamp from Marshall's, but am not crazy about the shade. I wonder how that lamp would work on the sofa table (that you don't have yet). I love the rectangular end table between the two chairs. I have to mention that I noticed the outdoor fireplace in one of your previous pictures. LOVE IT!!!!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I love the base of the lamp with the fabric on your chairs! You can always change out the shade at a later date. That's the best one to date and I think it goes great on the square table because of its size. I found a lamp for sale at Marshall's too, and love it in my great room.

Les's is my favorite but this is $300 less expensive so....

• User
    15 years ago

Things are really looking great! The lamp that you found at Marshall's is wonderful...I agree, find another shade (after you unpack your boxes!). The square table between the chairs anchors the arrangement and it looks just right. The fireplace is looking classy with the cherry mantel and absence of ironwork. That outdoor fireplace is a showpiece! You should be very proud of what you have accomplished in such a short time span. Take a bow!

• teacats
    15 years ago

LOVE the whole room -- what a warm and charming place! All of the suggestions have been excellent -- and the new arrangement is a winner! Well done indeed!

Jan

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh THANK YOU! The mantel - it's just photoshopped - but I narrowed it down to 2 (DH wants to wait a year - but I can't !!). Tomorrow - I am staying home to unpack more! I don't have much left, just need to get to it!

Patio and kitchen/bar-stools all will be arriving in the next 2-3 weeks!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Tinker,
    I love your new furniture!! It looks so comfy and relaxing.

I personally think you can do better on the lamp from Marshalls.
    I also wanted to comment on the console in a different type table......just got Bunny Williams' new book & she said all the woods in a room should not be the same. So, either metal/glass or painted piece would be nice.

I also like Les' idea(all of her ideas, always) of the blue. BW also said you should have a cooler fabric when doing a warm room.

Smiles:)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a few consoles that I like - with metal, glass and wood - what do you think?

#1 )
    {{!gwi}}

#2 (too much metal for my taste - I think!! ??)
    {{!gwi}}

#3 - saw this today - came VERY close to buying it on impulse!!!
    {{!gwi}}

#4 (I know, I know - need some metal and glass - but I like this too!!)
    {{!gwi}}

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Tinker,
    I just love this thread because I like seeing how such little changes can bring a whole new look to your room.
    Who would have thought that changing one table from one end of room to another would make such a difference. Certainly not me, but then again I am not much of a decorator. But I really know when I like something and your room is gorgeous. I love that new lamp from Marshalls.
    Love the square table between the chairs. The cherry mantle will be fab and I did not like the scrolly thing so much. I will have to be honest and do not know if I like any of the new sofa tables you just posted. If any, maybe the last one. I told you I would be no help. LOL

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lyban, thank you so much! People have always said I have a 'flair' for decorating, but after coming here I don't think I do! I would have never thought to change the furniture set-up this way (THANK YOU LES!!!!) or purchase 2 chairs instead of a loveseat (THANK YOU LES - AGAIN!). and who would have thunk that changing lamps or small end tables make a difference! Certainly, not me!

I am impatient, but realize that it will be a few months before just this room is complete... but I have many more! LOL

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh - and really can't forget to thank everyone else who made big changes in this new room! Thanks Red, lyban, Parma42, organic_smallhome and others! ALL your thoughts and advise is appreciated!

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

tinker- what does the table in your foyer look like? I think you need to take that table in consideration when choosing the sofa table.
    Of your choices above, I like #3 & #4.
    Your room and home is beautiful.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Tinker, it seems as though you really don't want an iron sofa table.

This is your room to enjoy and whatever "rules" there might be about the number of wood pieces to have are arbitrary.

I was just looking at Baker Furniture's web site and while they make lots of iron, there were many rooms without it added. This is a link to one of them.

Don't buy anything you don't love!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• les917
    15 years ago

I really like #3. It has the open feel and the metal, but the metal seems to be warmer, more like the ceiling fixture.

Parma is right about not buying metal if you don't love it. The reason I think it makes sense is because having too much wood feels all the same, then, and imo it takes away from the wonderful built-ins and fireplace mantel you will have.

I don't think you have to worry about this with your entry table - it appears to be a chest, not a console table, so no conflict.

Love the lamp, hate the shade, lol. I think you need something simpler and warmer in color than the scalloped white. I am wondering if that was even the original shade that came with the lamp, or a switch job that was done at the store.

• susan1208
    15 years ago

Tinker,
    Your room is lovely. Great work! Isnt it nice having all these wonderful people here helping? I love how they helped, commented, suggested and played with the room to get it at its best.

Beautiful!

Susan

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all AGAIN!

Parma42 - am I THAT transparent!! LOL Funny thing is, I have had a lot of metal in my past homes, so don't know why I am not warming up to it now. Thanks for that link - it a nice display of wood!

Les, 3 IS very nice, and you are correct - the metal is a warm brown. I did look and "feel" it a bit while at the store. It is definitely on my short list! As far as the hall chest - you have great memory!! That's my next "I need help" post!! The shade is ugly and DH thought the same thing - that possible the store switched it, it was the only lamp of it's kind there.

Susan, gosh yes - this forum is SO MUCH better than DH!!

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

tinker: I think you need something old/antique in your room. Everything you have is new, and I think a couple of older pieces would give your room some depth. :) Have you thought of making a few antique/furniture consignment store trips? Or even Craigslist?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

organic_smallhome, the new pieces are "antiqued" so that helps a little (I think!!). I went to craigslist in my area and NOTHING but very "Florida" rattan like furniture. I have been in the consignment shops here and same type of stuff. Far and few between antique shops, but there are a few (nothing like up in the northern states). I definitely think it may be worth stopping in a couple places to see what they have!

• iris16
    15 years ago

I just read this whole thread and I'm amazed at how the changes have made your room so inviting! Do you have any updated pictures to post? Did your bar stools come and how about your mantel piece?

• twg7590
    15 years ago

Beautiful room. I found this old post because I am currently looking for a new chair for our family room and the Sherrill chairs you have are the style I am considering. I thought they were comfortable in the store, but have never had a chair with a tight back and wasn't sure if I would like that for the long term. I was wanting something with the curved back and think they are so pretty though.

Are you happy with the chairs? Are they comfortable for sitting in and watching a movie? Thanks!

• twg7590
    15 years ago

bump

• susieq07
    15 years ago

I just scrolled through entire page here, and what I got from it is you really don't need anyones advise,your decorating instincts are right on...run with it!!! it will all come together beautifully, I can see from all of your choices so far..is that a Florida home? I ask because our two prior homes here in FL. we had the caged pools & spa also, but in this our last home build and retirement home ,we opted out of pool and spa, in favor of travel, and less work when at home.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

twg,

I haven't seen tinker post here since the summer, so she may not see your post. Have you tried sending her an email?

I've used chairs similar to that style and tho they're comfortable I didn't find them well suited for TV watching. I like to have my head supported, especially if the TV is elevated, and that style chair isn't going to give any head/neck support.

I have 2 Sherrill Wingback chairs I inherited from my MIL and they're very comfortable and well made. I find them more comfortable than the low, roll-back chairs for long term sitting.

• susan209
    15 years ago

Well, now that I'm a day late and a dollar short....read it all.
    Love furniture, fireplace not so much (get rid of that black scroll - it's too much for the brick) also all that brick is throwing me off. You had one idea with the wood surround on the brick, it was medium color wood and it softened the brick also with the mantel.
    Love 2nd picture for over mantel, very pretty.
    Love the lamps with some gold in them but not the shade, just doesn't go. The busy metals I would say is a no in the lamps, personally I am not fond of that look in there.
    Rug looks like a nice size, I think smaller isn't a good choice. I even like the colors, they are calm.
    It is a very comfortable room, may I come and sit a spell?
    Tables,I don't have a clue on them.
    You're coming along and I think it's good when you can look through other's eyes.....others pick up on things that you yourself never even thought of.
    I think we are very fortunate that we have so many wonderful designers here that give so willingly of their time to help out with ideas. I believe they get a round of applause.

• orie
    15 years ago

I'm a bit late, too, but I love the idea of the wood fireplace surround but I would paint the brick a deep ivory. I am in the process of doing that myself to ours. All that red brick is distracting. Gorgeous home!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I hope she put some blue in that room, it was much needed to tap into the blue from the artwork and cool the room down so that it could integrate with the cool of the pool.

• midwestmom
    15 years ago

Maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread but I'd love to know where OP got the tables from. I love them! (I also loved the lamps!) Beautiful room.

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Great room! Did not read ALL replies, but love new arrangement and adding a sofa table vs. end table. Agree the room needs some aging, and think you can achieve a lot with books. I'd suggest adding another couple of shelves to the built-ins ( I know you don't want to think of them now, but they will be such an asset to the room)and fill them to the ceiling with books. Real books, not a shelf full of sets, but hardbacks, primarily, with nice spines....and NOTHING else. This will be a clean look and yet add a patina of age to your lovely room. I hope you're readers!

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Your room is looking fantastic! Love your new furniture, especially the chairs .. great shape and fabric!

• MeiMei
    15 years ago

The books idea is great. Go to a large library sale and buy sets of old books, as well as books with aged or gold print on covers, not all the same size. Very cheap and its okay if some volumnes are missing. Ditch everything wrought iron. Too "in" and doesn't fit the lovely rich colors, I think.I would most definitely get ride the the dinky white paint accents. Too small for impact and too distracting. meimei