Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pensivern

How should I 'remake' this hall chest?

pensivern
11 years ago

I' m currently redecorating my entryway and have been on the hunt for a cute little piece for my entryway. Today I bought a bombe-esque chest with perfect dimensions but the colors are wrong; it's 2 toned, a teal top and drawer fronts with red-brown sides and trim. My wall color is BM Wickham Grey and my stair runner is a tan jute looking rug. My husband also installed a casual kind of wainscoting along the stairwell (pic included). I'm thinking black would look sharp but don't know if I should go for a distressed flat look, or glossy....or maybe keep the reddish sides for interest. I'm also awaiting multiple carpet samples for an entryway rug which'll have an impact on my decision as well. I can "see" a small crystal vase with white hydrangea stems atop the chest and maybe a mother of pearl framed mirror hanging above- casual yet still elegant. The room to the left is mt LR (pictured in the botanical print thread below)

Any suggestions ? Or should I just hold off until I pick my entryway rug?

Here's the chest

And the stairwell

Comments (16)

• pensivern
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmmm, now I'm thinking black may not work well. My original intent was to 'lighten' the entryway with all the white trim/wainscoting, pale icy blue walls and tan runner. A black chest might look too stark against all that brightness....maybe I should stain it an expresso color? Thoughts?

• teacats
    11 years ago

A vote for simply painting the body of the chest in white to match the hallway -- and do the top in a metallic silvery color ...

Then add your MOP mirror and your wonderful vase of flowers! Plus add a lamp if possible too! :)

• les917
    11 years ago

I would wait until you find a rug you love, and see if you can pull a color from there.

I agree that black is too harsh, and I think all white will make it look like a bathroom vanity.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I agree white would look too much like a BR vanity. The hallway piece I actually had in that spot previously was a dainty cream colored table with hand painted herbs on it-very pretty but I'm craving more contrast against the light walls. Agree also, I probably should wait until I choose a hallway rug. Maybe I'll be able to pull off a duller flat painted black with a lot of distressing as opposed to a glossy black (?)

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Check out the link below for some inspiration.
    I came across it today in the thread 'Another dining table help needed!" and was soooo impressed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting furniture

• pensivern
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Annz, that was a great link; it made me less fearful of the technique (both I'm still confused about the color lol)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Wait for the rug. Consider keeping the metallic edge on the top.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since all of my rug samples have some shade of bluefish-grey, I'm thinking A gray or lighter charcoal; something like weathered driftwood comes to mind...... Softer than black but still providing contrast to the walls.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

My mother had a chest that she made look like chinoiserie by decoupaging it with wallpaper, but you could use gift wrap. But it would look great more highly decorated to ake a real statement...it has such a gorgeous shape to it.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Here are some more visuals......

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Bombay

• pensivern
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link Ann, I'n in "bombe heaven" :) I'll have to show it to my husband is isn't sure that a bombe chest has "any business being anything but glossy". The weathered blue-grey ones did catch my eye so I'm heading in the right direction.

I also found this link

Here is a link that might be useful: blue/grey painted hutch

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Your wall color is such a specific blend of grey, blue, and green, I'd be concerned that using any one of those colors might look clash against the walls. I know you have to wait for the rug now, but leaving the rug out of it, could you take the wall color and go many shades darker to for the chest. Maybe the top could be a color from the rug?

• bbstx
    11 years ago

pensivern, here is a link to a DIY faux driftwood finish tutorial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gorgeous Shiny Things Driftwood tutorial

• pensivern
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindyloo, I was thinking of a darker shade grey, "elephant grey" with a whitish rubbed in tone to give it depth, my walls are such a pale shade of icy blue that I don't think it would clash.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks bbstx, that tutorial makes it look quite easy, although I'm not dealing with unfinished wood. I suppose I should really get my sanding blocks ready and prepare for a long haul:)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I can see it painted something like this

from 4 the love of wood. You can print all kinds of neat graphics from The Graphics Fairy.

If you aren't up for that much work, I'd paint the top black, and the body cream. Distress it, and wax it.

Probably wouldn't be the right look for you, but I can also see it painted silver.