Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robynpa_gw

British Colonial - Please post pic if you have this style.

robynpa
15 years ago

I would love to see how you have incorporated the British Colonia look into your home and where you have found the furnishing and accessories to get the look and feel.

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Right now as I write this there is a thread called 'coastal, breezy..' on page 2 with 96 replies and tons and tons of inspirational pics.

• robynpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

teacats, That room is elegant and beautiful! Can you tell me about the 4 prints behind the sofa?

• dgranara
    15 years ago

I've always liked British Colonial. Although, nothing in my house is British Colonial per se, but that's probably because nothing my house is actually finished. I've kept this inspiration pic for a while now because I really love this interpretaion of British Colonial style:

• teacats
    15 years ago

Thanks for the very kind thoughts! :)

Those prints are sepia-toned 18th-century landscapes -- the kind that were usually brought back by travellers on The Grand Tour from places like Italy or Greece or India.

For more of a Brit Col feeling -- look for old prints of tropical plants or flowers or old maps or scenes. Old globes (like the ones in my home office) would also offer that look.

So would blue-and-white or brown-and-white transferware china (a very popular souvenir from Far East travels at the time.

Oriental rugs over a larger seagrass/sisal one would look good too. Textiles like batiks or indienne (large scale prints) would work too.

I do hope to add linen slipcovers to my sofas someday!

For a reference decor book -- try Tricia Foley's "The Romance of British Colonial Style"

• gwendolynne
    15 years ago

Check out this website - I was recently in their store in Portland and just walked around the store gawking at everything. It's all British/French colonial replicas. Their catalogues are great inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: AM-Living

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

I didn't know what my style was, but it looks amazingly akin, although, not nearly so elegant, to teacats' room.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

some have referred to the style in my Dining Room as British Colonial..

{{!gwi}}

• robynpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The more pictures that you guys post the more I love this style! I always thought that I had just a mish-mash of stuff that I could not pull together but now I think that the stuff that I have collected (hand-me-downs etc...) could look nice together if I do it right and in the right proportions.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

Gwendolyne, The store that you linked to - when I checked their store locator it came up with a list of stores with different names. Is there an actual AM Living store in Portland?

• teacats
    15 years ago

Gorgeous rooms!!!

Really charming and elegant ---- FAR more so than mine!! ((with my weird double coffee tables LOL!))

Jan ((and do you see the rolled up Heriz rug behind the sofa?? -- thats the winter rug! LOL!))

• gwendolynne
    15 years ago

Hi terriks, yes, there is an actual store. I've got the business card in front of me - it's at 600 SW 10th Avenue in downtown Portland. I was in Portland on a business trip last week and had a chance to wander into the store and it is FANTASTIC. Everywhere I turned, there was more and more to love :).

When you're on the website, you should be able to click on their various online catalogues - they are all from the same store and there's lots of eye candy inside. I'm not sure what "other" stores you were finding on there? On the home page, you click on "United States - English" (or whatever) and it brings you into the American site. I don't think they sell retail online, but you can see their catalogues.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

I love the British Colonial look. Mine started when I found a wing chair at good will...we stripped it refinished the bottom in dark wood and re-upholstered it and made a matching foot stool. Then we re-upholstered our old chair in dark brown eliminating the skirt. Made all new throw pillows, even on three of the dining room chairs (not the ones around the table) Made new drapes and we changed the look from traditional to British Colonial/traditional. I kept all my old furniture including the antiques, so you can say we did it all with fabric.
    These are the two chairs and the throw pillows.

The only thing I bought was the lamp next to the wing chair and the one next to the rocker.

The sofa we reupholstered a few years ago, all the throw pillows we made new.

In the dining room all we did was make new drapes, make three new throw pillows for three of the chairs, and I bronzed the lamp shades. To sum it up you can achieve this look with some pillows and accessories. That's my opinion anyhow! :)
    Joann

• redbazel
    15 years ago

No Teacats!! I thought the double coffee tables were an integral part of this style. I just cleared the way to use double coffee tables in my living room after seeing your photo! And I pulled the extra oriental rug down from the garage rafters and threw it behind my sofa to emulate your look.
    Now you tell me it's a fluke??

Love it.

Red

• teacats
    15 years ago

Red -------- TOO funny girl!!!! :) Love ya!

Yep -- just a natural design talent here ......... LOL!

((who am I kidding ------ just throw stuff together and hope it sticks ........................ ))

Jan