Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgrover13

Low Ceiling Height in basement remodel

dgrover13
9 years ago

I have low ceiling joists in my basement remodel - they are also a bit unlevel so I cannot drywall directly to the joists.

So I have attached 1x strips to joists and plan on screwing the drywall to these strips.

My question is the doors. I have rough framed in my doorway, however, do I want to do ceilings first? Install the pre hung doors first?

I have only 3/4 inch space strip to rough in door opening (before sheetrock). I am using half inch drywall.

I also only have 82 inches of height in the roughed in opening.

Thoughts? I know I really won't have space for top door trim - or I will also have to shave doors. Trying to avoid that.

Comments (7)

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

What I did was to install the prehung doors (need to cut off about an inch). Then put 'blue tape' on the door frame - and sheetrocked right up to the door frame - using corner bead to get a finished edge.

So there is no trim. The finished door frame looked good.

• dgrover13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes - I have 82 inches of RO for door currently to the concrete slab. Of course I'll be putting in flooring - carpet. That will take up close to an inch. So I may need to shave a door just a bit.

My question is - should I be installing the pre hung doors first - or can I sheet rock then put in the doors after?

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

I already gave you the info - in a previous post!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Sheetrock first so you do not damage the doors or door frames. As far as reducing the height either do as mentioned above or order them from a real lumberyard (not a box store, HD, Lowes, etc) and they can have them shortened by the millwork supplier for a nominal fee before you get them.

• User
    9 years ago

Drywall the ceiling first, then drywall the walls (pushing panels against the ceiling with a drywall kicker) then install the pre-hung doors.

Leave space for the door head trim.

• ksc36
    9 years ago

You should be able to get 6'6" prehung doors. They are readily available in my area and there is no aditional charge. This should leave you room for the trim at the top and clearance for your flooring. Sheetrock always goes first if possible.