Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debsan_gw

Top Ten Things Learned while Remodeling

debsan
15 years ago

Remodeling sucks, but at least it's educational. Here's a little something I came up with that I thought I'd share with those of you who find themselves dealing with a contractor.

1. People will make lots of promises to you, do not expect them to keep them, or to take any responsibility for breaking them.

2. If you find yourself caught in the network of good old boys, donÂt be surprised to find out that most of those old boys arenÂt good, theyÂre just old.

3. No matter how smart you are, you will be talked to as if you are stupid and be made to feel stupid. If you put up with it, you will feel even stupider.

4. Apparently it is acceptable to be disrespectful to people in their own homes if you have a contract.

5. You will be rushed into making decisions. After you have made the decisions, you will have to wait on everyone who rushed you.

6. If any of your hastily-made decisions are wrong, refer to #2, #3 and #4.

7. You will have people coming in and out of your house without regard for you or your things. They will turn off your power, break your things, and leave messes for you to clean up.

8. You can tell people what you want repeatedly, but youÂll still probably get what they want to give you. There will be lots of eye rolling (and possibly additional charges) if you ask people to do things the way they were asked.

9. Even though you arenÂt whining about how many checks youÂre writing, the recipients of those checks will be whining about how much work theyÂre doing.

1. At the end of the day, the people in your employ will go back to orderly homes, where they will enjoy hot meals & cold drinks. They will take for granted their electric lights, fully functioning plumbing, cable, internet, phones and doorbells. The only thing you will be enjoying is the fact that theyÂve gone.

Comments (35)

• User
    15 years ago

Sorry your experience was so bad.

When I ran my company(one man so much easier to control), I nade it a prerequisite to treat customers homes better than I did mine.

I know of companies locally that do that also.

• Michael
    15 years ago

debsan,

I'm sorry for your bad experience.

You made the choice. Did you do your homework first?

Home improvement contractors can be just like employees. Some are great, some are pathetic.

Michael.

• debsan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brushworks and Handymac--thank you for your kind words. Actually, the contractor was recommended without reservations by people he had done work for. He is pretty conscientious and does try to keep to the schedule. Our problems have been with his subs. He chose them, and some have been real jerks.
    Anyway, it hasn't been a totally bad experience, I just didn't anticipate having to squabble with people over stuff they were contracted to do. We are finally nearing the end, and I'm about 80% satisfied. In any event, I will be very happy when it's completed. I did get a beautiful kitchen, but with compromises along the way, I didn't get the kitchen I'd envisioned. I wouldn't hesitate to use the same contractor, but if I were to do this again, I'd really research the subs or choose my own.

• stw954
    15 years ago

With all due respect to Brushworks and Handymac: of course there are exceptions to the rule. Of course there are contractors that are fabulous.

But.

Debsan is spot-on. AND she even says she had "good" GC, overall. Doesn't that point to the (unfortunate) reality that most (and yes, I said "most" and will stand behind it) subs - and GC's - take money like it is theirs already and have no intention of doing excellent, fair work. ("Good," maybe. "Good enough," probably. And "fair" to them, not the contract they signed or the homeowner who has to live there.) Whether they are apathetic, incompetent, or crooked, who knows? Does it matter?

This list breaks my heart because it could have been ours.

Debsan: yes. And aren't you sorry that you HAD to learn those lessons? (Personally, I long for those sweet naive days - before we started a remodel - when I thought that whole list was the unfortunate exception...not the rule.)

I'm sick of people questioning whether I "did my homework." I know some people don't, but a LOT of people do everything right, all the damn "homework," all the referrals, etc...and still post stories on this site that break your heart.

If there are SO MANY good contractors out there (not the proverbial "hen's teeth"), why is "homework" so crucial? Hmmm.

And by the way, employees can be easily fired. Try convincing a GC that you don't owe the remainder of your contract (assuming a legitimate reason like incompetence). Just what does it take to MAKE a GC (or sub) actually do what they contracted to do? The first time. Without the rolling eyes. Or a heavy sigh. (And don't you always wonder what other little "shortcut" they did that you might have missed?) You can fire an employee because the work doesn't meet your standards. Try doing that with a GC, when nothing is actually wrong, but nothing is done right, either. Oh that's right: homework. But employers do theirs - and still have to fire people sometimes.

If I had an employee that cut as many little corners or had as big a problem following directions as our GC, or gave me as big an attitude about having to do his job, he'd be out before lunch.

I do my job as best I can, with a good nature to my customers. As do most people I know...outside construction. Does anyone realize how disfunctional we've all become that we're GRATEFUL when they allow us to beg them to do their damn job as contracted?!?

"I know of companies locally that do that also."
    "Home improvement contractors can be just like employees. Some are great...."
    Good for you. But that doesn't make it a frighteningly small minority.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

tell me about it. we are 99.9999999% finished with a repair/remodel of our office. hurricane Gustav flooded our area(200 miles inland but training storms dumped on us) and we had to rip out all the flooring/sheetrock/paneling in the building. flood insurance gave us a check for X dollars to do all teh repairs. we did ALL the tear out/debris removal even though teh insurance paid for someone else to do it. then we ripped out a couple false walls instead of repaneling them. other than those 2 items, everything else was just repair what was there. got quotes, showed folks the insurance estimate adn told them all that not 1 single cent extra would be spent. well, what should be a 2 week job drug out to 6 weeks. there is 1 piece of trim left to replace, yet the contractor has no shown up in 2 days except to pickup his ladder!

everytime we turned around he was rushing us to decide about this item or that one, then never touched it for several days. the original plan was to start in my office on teh west side of teh building, complete it, then move east across the building finishing each room 100% before moving into the next room. 1 week into the repairs they were doing minor jobs in each room in teh office. this forced us to put most of our stuff out in the service bay where a good bit still sat until yesterday when the carpet was finished! we explained to them that we had to have certain areas left alone until other areas were done, but they insisted or just flat out started without consent. so basically our small business has been shut down since 9/3! now they have hte nerve to ask for 1500.00 more than the contract due to having to hang 1 area of drop ceiling where a wall was removed. if we had not removed the wall, they would have had to take down and reinstall 2 drop ceilings which would have been more work!

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

Really, all of this is true. The experience of home remodeling runs the gamut from adventure to disaster. When it ends as a disaster, the homeowner is left feeling angry, cheated, and betrayed. He may be right to feel this way. Contractors certainly vary in their craftsmanship and integrity. Homeowners also vary -- in their willingness to do research, in how well they know their own minds, and yes, they vary in their integrity, too. Then luck throws in a few wild cards. Vendors can run into problems, money issues can arise as if from nowhere, hidden problems can reveal themselves in the construction process, and as the poster above noted, even nature can kick up trouble. What once seemed wonderful can turn very ugly indeed.

Having said all this, over a ten year period we have done one major, two small, and one in-between sized remodeling jobs, that last job going on right now. We worked with the same GC for all four jobs and he is simply excellent. We don't always agree with him, but we listen to him and consider his opinion carefully. He listens to us, too, an important quality in a good relationship. My DH and I are sometimes frustrated at the inconvenience of living under construction, but we genuinely enjoy the process of making our home more beautiful, livable, and interesting, and ever more a reflection of our tastes.

How did we find this wonderful GC? We know we were lucky, very lucky. But I cannot believe that he is the only decent contractor in the business, or even in our own area. We asked around and got referrals. We paid special attention to the opinions of people in the building trades themselves. We have since recommended him to another friend, and he did a beautiful remodeling job for her and her family as well.

So my top ten things I learned about remodeling would run more along these lines:

craftsmanship
    integrity
    honesty
    communication
    responsibility
    quality materials
    respect
    value
    commitment
    cooperation

Best of luck to anyone considering, or presently doing, a remodel.

Rosefolly

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    15 years ago

well, what should be a 2 week job drug out to 6 weeks

How about an 8 by 15ft bathroom remodel that took 8 months??Don't get me started.

• bdpeck-charlotte
    15 years ago

It's not easy dealing with contractors. I don't think of them as employees, most of them I think of as kids. If you don't watch them every minute, then they're off doing something else that they like instead of their job. I've mostly had good ones in my experiences, meaning they were slow, but got the job done and only had to re-do one or two things.

I haven't had to end a contract with anyone yet, but there's always tomorrow. The OP is correct about how most of them treat you, but when one gets testy with me, I simply state, "You can do it my way, or I'll get someone else who will, and good luck asking for a check today." And then I walk away. I think the fact that I'm 6'4" and 240lbs emphasizes my point, but my wife actually does a better job as the "bad cop" than I do. And she's not b#%$y about it, she's just straight and cold with them, much scarier than I am.

• chisue
    15 years ago

Whether new construction or remodeling, don't think that the final punch list items will EVER be completed. (You will end up hiring a handyman to do these.)

Builders like big stuff involving saws, hammers and large pieces of timber. They aren't interested in dinky stuff -- like finishing the trim for davidandkasie. They would even prefer to write off that last 10% payment and move on to the next project where the new timber awaits. They are soooo OUT of your project and its problems.

• shadetree_bob
    15 years ago

I would respectfully submit that 90% of the problems listed are from miscommunication and lack of education/knowledge. Homeowners and contractors hear what they want to hear. Homeowners want a six week job done tomorrow, and contractors (usually wrongly) assume that the home owner understands what they are telling them. PUT EVERYTHING IN WRITING PEOPLE AND YOUR EXPERIENCES WILL BE MUCH BETTER.

• rusty105
    15 years ago

" PUT EVERYTHING IN WRITING PEOPLE AND YOUR EXPERIENCES WILL BE MUCH BETTER. "

Yes and no.... having everything in writing gives you a legal leg to stand on when push comes to shove, however you will still have the hassle of trying to get something done, even if it is in writing.

• debsan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First, thanks to STW954 who accurately articulated what seems to be a very common experience. I can especially relate to the assessment that often "good enough" is as good as you can expect to get. By the way, your comments made me feel much better. Thanks for that too!
    As for putting everything in writing, we had plans and a detailed contract, the only things we didn't have in there were the things we couldn't anticipate. We have communicated clearly at every junction what we wanted. Ater I told the electricians where switches and lights were to be, he put them where he wanted anyway. Virtually every box had to be moved, because he was convinced that I didn't know what was good for me. I planned my entire remodel according to HOW WE LIVE, not according to what benefits workmen. For example, I was adamant about where I would need extra outlets for cellphones, computers, et cetera. On our workdesk, I was given a single outlet for two computers, a printer and the wireless modem. When I addressed this with the electrician, I was told to buy a power strip. (Extra outlets were shown on the plans.)
    As one of my girlfriends pointed out, this is the only industry, where it seems to be acceptable to make the customer fight for everything they've contracted to get.
    On the upside, if all goes well, we should be wrapping it all up soon. I think the contractors won, because my standards of what is acceptable have been lowered by my desire to restore my homelife. I want to return to the days when the only person who woke me up, wanted to squabble with me, or discuss issues with me while I was still in my bathrobe was my husband.

• justnigel
    15 years ago

Debsan, sorry to read about all the trouble. You certainly aren't alone, though there are also trades out there that listen.

With respect to work not being done adequately... (and by adequately, I mean, "not according to construction documents", such as your workdesk only getting one outlet). While it probably makes sense to buy a power bar, the fact that you don't have a certain number of outlets gives you leverage when it comes to paying the bill. If it was me, I'd ask them to suggest what kind of a discount you deserve for not getting the work done as specified and negotiate from there. (One version of the discount amount is the cost of a powerbar. Another version is the cost of having a licensed electrician come in and complete the work according to spec. Clearly, your discount should land somewhere between those extremes.)

My other thought on this whole matter is about your general contractor. (And I'm assuming here that he is the one hiring/paying/supervising the subs. If I'm wrong and you're the one that's paying them directly, then you are the general contractor and all these comments have to be aimed at you.) Your general is supposed to be the one that ensures work is done according to plan. In this respect, it appears that he's failed to do this, and should also be financially punished. (I'm in the trade, by the way, so I don't say these sorts of things lightly.)

For you, it's advice a little late, but for anyone that starts to have your kinds of problems with subs not behaving, I strongly suggest that you have a responsible individual representing the general contractor involved in the planning conversations with subs. In other words, when the electrical layout is being finalized, it's you, the GC, and the electrician marking outlets and switches in magic marker on the wall. That way, if the electrician can't (by code) do what he's asked, then you can all decide right then and there what's going to happen. If, after the electrical rough-in is done, you don't have the right number of outlets, then you can (will) call the GC and get it fixed before drywall goes up. (Properly speaking, the GC should be the one checking actual work against plan, but we all know that it'll get done better if you do it yourself.)

Again, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Hopefully by sharing, you'll have saved someone else the agony.

• chisue
    15 years ago

debsan -- I hope you write for a living. I love your way of 'speaking'. (Says she, sitting here in her robe and slippers at 10 a.m.)

• stw954
    15 years ago

justnigel:
    The issue, I believe, is WHY can't it be done right in the first place. And, why, when it isn't done right, do you have to fight for your own contract.

I do mean "fight." You can be nice, you can be strongly voiced, you can show them the plans (that THEY signed off on), you can stand your ground in whatever fashion suits you...but it all comes down to having to ARGUE (however politely) to get them to do their damn job.

Explain to me why debsan should have to NOT have the extra outlets installed - either by the GC's people or a licensed electrician AT THE GC'S FULL EXPENSE. Explain to me why debsan should be "somewhere between those two extremes" instead of firmly on the side of the GC being responsible for the extra ones. Debsan didn't want a power strip and I am nonplussed as to why this entire industry thinks she should settle for less than the contract signed.

And even if the problem is solved as simply as pointing out the particular deficit (in this ONE example, the extra outlets as specified), why do GCs argue?!? How is it possible for the majority of people in an industry to think they simply don't have to do what they said they would?

• shadetree_bob
    15 years ago

WHY!!!

Because no matter what contractor, general or sub, it is your home and YOU have the ultimate and final responsability to make sure the job is done to your satisfaction. That means YOU have the responsibility to point out things that are not done to your satisfaction , WHILE/WHEN , they are being done. In the case of outlets it is very simple to speak up and ask why there are not enough boxes being roughed in to house the outlets. This means you have to educate yourself at least enough to know what you are looking at and are willing to speak up to them and not on some forum like this where the contractors have NO way to defend themselves and we have to listed to a totally lopsided version of what actually happened!!!!!!

• justnigel
    15 years ago

stw954, I can't answer most of your "why" questions because I don't know the people involved. Ignorance, laziness, greed, forgetfulness, low standards, too busy, sick child... the list of possibilities is endless.

You did ask pointedly that I explain myself when I suggested that the resolution should land somewhere between the extremes. The reason I suggested this is that it acknowledges some of the "give and take" that occurs in the world. Is the GC fully liable for the extra outlets? Yes. If you stick to your guns and demand 100% satisfaction, it might happen. It might not. Again, it depends on the people involved. However, I sincerely believe that if you approach a contractual dispute with a willingness to give a bit of ground, then the other party will be more likely to give you most of what you want, and do it promptly.

I'm not trying to excuse bad trades or imply that homeowners deserve less than what they've contracted for. I was simply trying to offer an opinion on how this sort of dispute could be managed with acceptable outcomes for all parties.

• stw954
    15 years ago

So we should pay promptly to get SOME of what they signed on for?:
    "However, I sincerely believe that if you approach a contractual dispute with a willingness to give a bit of ground, then the other party will be more likely to give you most of what you want, and do it promptly."

But that sentence, however "reasonable," is exactly the problem. Especially the part of "MOST of what you want." (Emphasis mine.)

How incredibly bad is the vast bulk of this industry - how rife with "ignorance, laziness, greed, low standards" is this industry - that getting "most" of a CONTRACT is considered "reasonable"?!?

That everything you (justnigel) wrote is considered a "win" for the homeowner is definitely the point. I cannot conceive of another industry that can habitually, project after project, contract after contract, agree in writing to deliver an end result that they won't even bother trying for. And they argue and drag their feet (and roll their eyes). And in the end still don't do what they legally are bound to do.

This isn't about a very few contracts that unfortunately become intractable and contentious. This is about how MOST of contractors simply don't see the contract as anything more than a mere suggestion - one they might or might not bother to pay attention to on any given day. (And when they don't - not "if" they don't - they take no responsibility...and still demand payment.)

(This is like a cell phone company that sells you a phone that turns out to have no "7" button, and claims that they'll just deduct $1.50 from your bill. Because you still have a phone and you still have service, and you can still call all those numbers that DON'T have 7's in them. So you should be happy..."approach a contractual dispute with a willingness to give a bit of ground"...)

A "contractual dispute" where one party simply hasn't met the terms of the contract, and the other should "give ground"?

(For what it is worth, I agree that you need to be reasonable. But only if their is good faith effort on both sides. I know the amount of effort I put into getting my job right, and I can recognize it in others. I have been incredibly forgiving when stuff goes awry when I know the guy is trying. My point here is that is often - VERY often - that is not the case with this trade. And it is the sheer pernicious arrogance that is galling and infuriating.)

• allison1888
    15 years ago

We could write a book on this -- as long as we keep learning, that's the key.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Like the builder ("dealer" of modular home) insisting that he had the factory frame the doors the way *I* wanted them. Which was 1" off the subfloor - since *he* asked what type of flooring I was installing in the mudroom and foyer, b/c he needed to make sure the fiberglas front door and the steel fire door were at the right height, since they couldn't be undercut/planed down. So I told him tile, and to give me an inch clearance since he said the doors were "cut for carpet". I had no idea what that meant, but said I wanted 1" clearance for the doors, and suggested that he also raise all the other doors that would swing over tile. So I ended up with all my downstairs doors and cased openings raised 1" (I questioned that on the plans, and he said only the ones that swung over tile, but my LR French doors were done the same), and upstairs all the bathroom doors were raised but the BR doors and the linen closet door (3" away from bath) were raised. So we've been lowering them (any ideas on how to lower pocket doors?). The doors we had to plane down were actually the ones that are in the carpeted rooms since with 1/2" pad, the carpet is higher than tile/hardwood. Now couldn't he have figure out how much clearance a prehung door has built into it?

Not to mention the framing problems - he did tear out and replace some sheetrock that kept cracking under/over windows, floated it over 2x4 cripples that were either recessed or pushed out from 2x6 framing. But I still have humps in walls where they were pushed out b/c he didn't plane them level with the 2x6's. But it wasn't until I pulled the (tacked-in) trim off my prehung bathroom door to finish it, and found that it wouldn't lay flat when I put it back up, that the header for the bathroom door was 1/16" off and is bowing the sheetrock into the room. So now I've got to tear it out and redo that (after just repainting ater fixing nail pops), or cut the sheetrock so that the top piece of trim is actually recessed, just so the mitres meet in the corners. Of course, my year warranty is up. I don't know how many more framing problems I'm going to find as we finish the trim - I've already had to skim the bottoms of the walls and repaint (of course, after having done it once after fixing cracks/nail pops) b/c when I went to put the (precut and tacked) baseboard back up after finishing, the corners are built out and the baseboard won't flex enough (have over 1/4" gap in some places when checked with a square)to even get close enough to caulk. And don't get me started on electrical layout - I got most of what I wanted, but he messed up on some things, and wherever I said, "I don't have specific requirements there, just do it to code" I ended up with outlets on walls perpendicular to bay window being 1 ft from corner on one side, 2 ft from the other, when he knew I wanted built in bookcases (so 1 outlet will be right on front edge of bookcase), lots more but I'm too tired to go through it all here.

• stw954
    15 years ago

allison1888: I have no idea your point, but MY point is, the only thing I've learned is that contractors feel absolutely no obligation to abide by the legal documentation they themselves signed. Is that what we should all learn?

Maybe we should all learn that we can agonize all we want about the location or this or that but in the end, your contractor might or might not bother to actually do that thing we requested. Oh yeah, and that we should try to pay promptly to "incentivize" the contractor to actually glance at the plans once in a while, or even possibly maybe fix his mistakes once in a great while. For which we've all learned to be grateful when that blue-moon occasion actually occurs.

Yes, my on-going education is the point, I'm sure. Those contractors who treat me like I'm stupid and complain about having to complete work correctly are just trying to help me in my life-long quest for greater knowledge.

ajsmama: welcome to our club of higher education. Don't you feel smarter already? (By the way, we actually put a plug inside out bookcases on purpose, for a lamp. Maybe there is a way to make it look not weird?)

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Oh yes, I've learned that "cut for carpet" means a 1" to 1.5" clearance between the bottom of the jamb and the door, b/c the door manufacturers have learned that people don't want to plane a door if the jamb is on the subfloor. The jambs are supposed to be undercut (not a big deal), and that carpet usually is going to require some planing or cutting of doors, esp. bifold closet doors. I just wish that my builder had learned that on the first 6 houses he built.

The bookcases will only be 12" (or less) deep so the one outlet will be just in front of one (on right side of bay) but a foot in front of the other (on left side). I'm going to ask my electrician how hard it would be to move it (it's on the marriage wall). Should patch up OK - that paint color touched up well. DR has a quad outlet between the windows like the LR (when I asked for an outlet under each window like the upstairs rooms - well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad since DR has one under 1 window plus the quad between), that's on exterior wall so might be harder plus the paint in there is harder to touch up. I'm looking for a long wall hanging or something to hide it. The chandelier got put where I wanted it (offcenter, so it's centered over the table with china cabinet on back wall), but instead of centering the sconces on the chandy they're centered on the wall. Not sure if I should move one (might not be too hard, go in from garage, but again patching the hole might be tough to blend in). I'm just going to live with the ceiling fan in MBR being centered in the room instead of in front of the bed. But I'm going to have to move one or both lights over the vanity to center them over the sinks (could move vanity 3-4" to center one, but then other's off by 7-8" and we'd have to move drain. Again, he said he put them where I asked - just b/c I asked where the centers of the sinks would be in a 60" vanity, I had light fixtures in mind that were 30" wide. So he put one box 15" from wall and the other 30" from that, turned out the sink openings were 22" on the vanity he installed so center of sink is 11" from wall. He just never answered my question about sink c-c measurement, surprised me with off-center lights (that I didn't order) already installed). Or may just rip them out (bathroom's not finished) and put in recessed lighting (attic access). I've just been too busy fixing things to worry about finishing things yet.

• chisue
    15 years ago

To borrow from another quote (about raising children): "Building a house is easy, as long as you don't have anything else to do."

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

I want to go back to a word mentioned earlier -- greed. I think the general assumption is that the greed is on the part of the contractor. Well, there is homeowner greed too, the desire to get everything you want for the least amount of money. It is a natural desire, and not a dishonest one, but one that can lead to real problems if the homeowner doesn't understand how much quality work really costs. It leads him or her to hire a so-so GC who is cheaper instead of the more expensive high quality contractor.

Please do not think I am referring to anyone on this thread. Not at all. I only offer this as a thought that some homeowners (not you) invite lower quality work in their eagerness to get a lower price. When money is tight -- as it generally is -- it is probably smarter to do less, but do it well.

Rosefolly

• rusty105
    15 years ago

As far as contracts go....
    Not sure how many home construction contracts are written this way, but when I worked for a Civil Engineer on municipal projects, this is what we did. When a contactor submitted a payment request, besides checking quantities, and workmanship, we always held a 10%-15% retainage. They knew this up front, and no exceptions were made. At the end of the project when the final payment was requested, a punch list was drawn up, and the retainage was not released until that list was satisfied. Handshake deals and verbal agreements do not hold up when it comes to this. With the retainage, I really doubt a contractor wants to walk away from 5K on a 50k kitchen remodel. Sure it works better with a 'unit quantity' bid, but I am sure it can be adapted to lump sum bid. We also had wording that would prevent any subs from coming after the municipality if the GC didn't pay them, and the GC had to sign off on that as well I believe. Did this prevent GCs from trying to skip out on work, NO! But if they wanted to get paid the work got done. If they refused.. they didn't get paid, and then were charged the cost of having it done by another contractor +15% for our 'management' of the incomplete work. plenty of incentives to get the work done, including time frames. this we were a little flexible with, within reason.

I think I saw a post here on these forums that someone was doing a whole house build with a friend of the family, on a handshake. I really hope it goes well... I would not feel safe with that.

Rusty

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

We thought we'd done our homework, the modular company we picked has been in business for 25+ years, we knew people who had houses built my them, we compared specs (their standards were "upgrades" with other factories), we toured the factory, etc. The only thing is, they had given the territory to a new guy instead of the builder our friends had used. So we went with him, figuring it was the same factory, so quality would be the same as established builder, since almost everything was coming from factory and we were doing a lot of the finish work ourselves. We still would have had the framing problems anyway, right? Though maybe established builder would have noticed them and new guy didn't. We also think maybe the factory wasn't quick to respond to issues we did note right away b/c this guy wasn't generating much business (I think we were the only house he did with them - we were the first, he had done 6 houses with another manufacturer). I think the established builder has the territory back now - I don't think the new guy is in business any more.

• futurasport
    15 years ago

Wow..what energy around this subject.

Lots of good points..my 2 cents are..
    1. everything in writing - super detailed
    2. progress payments no or minimal down payment
    3. hold back 5 or 10% until all work is done to your satisfaction
    4. try to detach yourself a little bit from the project. It is much easier if you have experience managing projects at work or at church or somewhere..Not suprisingly the same/similiar issues happen in most organizations. The big difference is IT IS YOUR HOUSE and YOUR MONEY!
    5. As someone else mentioned similiarities with children..here is another one..choose your battles. Be very clear, detailed, thorough at the start then maybe take a few things in stride as the project progresses. If something isnt done right..take the advice above "contract states 2 outlets, there is one..please add one today or i will hire someone else to do it and deduct that from the last 5%"
    6. Not all contractors will accept this but...i like to give a bonus of maybe 5% or something if the project is complete 2 weeks early and then deduct 5% or whatever if it is more than 4 weeks late. Guess what..your project will be done 2 weeks early..and the other jobs the contractor is working on will be delayed. This and a lot more are in a book entitled The Complete Remodeling Workbook and Organizer.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: The Complete Remodeling Workbook and Organizer

• zeebee
    15 years ago

Adding in...

1. We went into our remodel with the standard adage that there are three variables: time, cost and quality. You can have any two but not all three. Make a choice about the two which are most important to you, and pick your battles based on that.

2. Address problems as soon as you see them. If the painters are sloppy during the skimming and priming, they'll be sloppy during the painting too. Don't wait until they've done irreparable damage before you say something.

3. Listen to your gut. If you have a bad feeling about a tradesperson, get rid of them before you are in too deep, financially and time-wise. In retrospect, we should have cancelled the contract with our air-conditioning guy when he had to delay the start of the job for two weeks due to insurance issues. Instead of being up front about it, we were treated to a series of lies ("my broker mailed it last week. He'll fax it this morning. He's on vacation but will have it first thing next week.") We went ahead with the guy because he seemed properly apologetic for the delay and gave us a discount...and besides, we'd spent a few weeks getting a/c bids in and didn't want to re-visit the whole process. Eight weeks later we had to terminate the guy and revisit the whole process anyway.

• debsan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The beginning of this thread represented my coming of age in the remodeling realm. As STW954 suggested there is a loss of innocence as one realizes how often one must fight to get their due.
    Even when it became apparent that the remodel wouldn't be completed on time, my GC promised that it would be done in time for our annual October party. By November, we began to wonder if it would be complete in time for Christmas.

Happily, I can say that we are finally waiting only on little details. It was a long hard journey to get to this point, and I am not the same person who signed the contract with good faith and high hopes. I'm thrilled to be nearing completion, but I'm disappointed that it took so much out of ME to get to this point.
    I could fill a page with details of the skirmishes and negotions that we endured to get things done right. There were several battles that left me wounded and weakened. However, now I feel like a phoenix having come through the fire with my wings re-feathered.

At last, we have the one thing that we missed most during the interim--our peaceful happy home. Like Dorothy from Oz, my home has become more precious to me than ever, and unless I'm hit by amnesia or dementia, I won't be starting any more home-improvements for a very long time. I'll be very content to admire from afar my friends as they do theirs.

If I could add one more thing to that Top Ten list it would be: Never again.

• dim4fun
    15 years ago

When building custom, to protect both the homeowner and the electrician from surprises insist on the following and make sure it is in the contract that you will do a job site review as follows.

Before any wiring is installed the electrician will tack up every receptacle box, switch box, light fixture Jbox, recessed fixture, etc. Mark all built-in cabinet lines on the floor with chalk line accurately. He can spray the chalk with a clear sealer to make them stay put if needed. Then have a job meeting to approve everything and walk each room while comparing to the plans and notes.

This helps the homeowner by making sure things you want make it to the walls and ceiling. It is easy to move something misplaced. It is easy to add something missing. It's the best time to figure out how to handle placement conflicts. It's the best time to argue about having a duplex or quad outlet at your desk. You have the chance to see if you need more of something or less. It eliminates change orders to move things already wired.

For the electrician it means he now has an approval to wire the boxes as they are and it is now very clear that if something is wrong it is not his fault.

It does mean that the homeowner and electrician must have done their homework but this is the entire point. If you are missing info required for this this then you should not have someone installing electrical. Homeowners tend to not understand that a tile decision they may make weeks from now may conflict with the receptacle and switches next to the sink and blame the electrician for them being in the wrong place. Extra wide moldings are also frequently overlooked.

You can modify this if you don't have all of the info by doing as many rooms as possible to get the electrician started while waiting for cabinet plans or whatever.

The electrician requires cabinet plans, all appliance specifications, heights of sconces, heights of receptacles and switches at counter-tops, molding dimensions if over sized, and a detailed lighting plan.

• stw954
    15 years ago

Awwww, debsan, I'm so happy that you're in a better psychological place. Speaking as someone still in the trenches, You're definitely a toughie.

And, kudos to you, kiddo, that you can enjoy your finished space AND still not forget that important mantra "never again."

You might not be that same, wide-eyed innocent before you started, but there is something to be said for wisdom - however hard-won. (That said, I still kind of feel bad for the sweet, trusting thing that I used to be, so convinced of the inherent goodness and sincerity of most people. Well, just not so much, now. I miss her....)

It is said that nothing is appreciated unless it is truly earned. (I really really really think that I am that person that could really really really appreciate winning the lottery, though.)

It isn't the particulars, I think, that were the original point. I think that the people offering specific advice are still missing the point. That there is nothing you can do to protect yourself during a remodel - not fully - and the process is brutalizing and so quietly corrosive. It is the feeling of lost control...even when you aren't slamming into trees at 60 miles an hour, you are still careening pell mell down the highway - a very expensive, very messy highway.

Congratulations on the new quiet.

• gldnfan
    15 years ago

Ok, reading this months after it was posted and feeling very fortunate for our GC and all his subs - his fantastic, reliable, skilled and FRIENDLY subs!! We have had some financial skirmishes with our GC - he was very spoiled by working on 2 cash only whole house remodels before ours. He is not fond of the requirement placed on him by our bank to keep good records and prove progress to date in a reasonable manner. I will say he is a lot less cocky about that these days since the jobs are drying up and working with a bank is better than no work.

That said - his project management and the quality of our rebuild are superior.

I had to LOL at the poster who said a homeowner is ultimately responsible and needs to be there when the work is done to make sure it is right and educate themselves on the principals of contracting so that they can easily spot the wrong box - Um - isn't that what I am paying my GC for?! I guess that means it was my fault when the electrician put shallow boxes where I needed deep boxes - as specified on the lighting plan. I should have known they were wrong because I should have brushed up on my electrical knowledge ;-) Fortunately, our electrical sub is a gem and quickly changed them out.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I don't know if I will ever build modular again. Yes, it' built in a controlled environment on jigs, but that didn't mean there was any more QC than a stick-built. In fact, there may have been less (at least up to my standards of Q) b/c by the time we saw it, a lot of things were hidden, or finished and not easy to change so we're living with them. IF (big if) I ever build again it will be stick, so I or GC can go in at each stage and check plumbing/electrical locations, framing is square (have been finding so many bowed headers in this house!), sheetrock installed and taped correctly, etc.

• feddup
    8 years ago

This SOOOO deserves to be bumped.