Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beschenbach_gw

Which layout do you prefer?

beschenbach
15 years ago

After posting about my island seating, I got a lot of great feedback about tweaking my layout (special shout out to Cheriyl!) I've played with my layout and am attaching both of them for you experts to see what you think. I've tried to make sense of them by listing out advantages and disadvantages that I can see (but I could be wrong in many of my assumptions) so this is where I call for my plea of help from all your experience.

A little about me: busy momma of 4 little kids aged 1, 4, 6, 8 that likes to cook with them, do crafts, etc. Not a huge complicated chef, but do like family time and all 6 of us are often together hanging out.

Scheme A advantages:

a) Refrigerator stays on back wall a bit more hidden from main line of sight. Also it isn't so close to the oven in a sea of stainless steel on that part of the L in the layout.

b) Refrigerator more accessible from kitchen eat in table

c) More direct line of entry from garage through mudroom into kitchen

Scheme B disatvantages:

a) Nearly impossible to get the barstool seating that I really desire in the island unless I shrink the depth of the island.

b) barrier island between sink & refrigerator

Scheme B advantages:

a) Better clearance between island and wall behind it since I can do either 12" or 15" (or even 18"?) cabinets

b) entry into the refrigerator not as clumbsy with barstool people

c) no barrier island issue

Scheme B disadvantages:

a) The oven/refrigerator wall is a main focal point (one of first thing people see) and it's a bit ugly with all those appliances so front & center. I do have an OTR microwave, and not sure there is anywhere else to really put the microwave (suggestions are welcome!)

b) not much counter space to work between the oven & refrigerator (I think 15" is the max I could squeeze in there?)

c) Line of entry from the garage into mudroom/kitchen jogs a bit (will I notice?)

SCHEME A:

SCHEME B:

Comments (11)

• Buehl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I definitely like Layout B better...much, much better, as a mater of fact.

Is the 46" aisle w/12" cabinets or 15" cabinets on the south wall? If 12" cabinets, then that's what I would go with if it were me. You can fit an amazing amount of stuff (food, small appliances, etc.) on a 12" deep shelf! A 46" aisle, while not the best will be much better than a 36" aisle.

You know my thoughts about & experiences with Layout A--it will not work for seating. Also, the refrigerator will most likely be 30" deep, NOT 24" as you show...so that 36" aisle in Layout A will really be more like 30" in front of the refrigerator.

The Layout A advantage of the refrigerator being more accessible to the Breakfast area...it's not that much more accessible than Layout B since Layout B has it on the end of the cabinet run on that wall facing the Breakfast area (what 3 more steps?). Furthermore, Layout B has the advantage of making the refrigerator more accessible to the kitchen and is a wash for accessibly from the DR.

As to the MW...if you're concerned about too many appliances in that area, then I would definitely nix the OTR MW...besides, they're not that effective as range hoods (more effective than a downdraft, but still not very effective). Instead, I would either get a wooden cabinet to house a true range hood & hide the mechanics of the hood or I would at least get a cabinet over the range w/a low profile SS range hood. It will make a big difference, I think, in the look of that wall. Oh, and vent the range hood outside!

Another thing that will definitely help the "look" is to "build-in" the refrigerator. This will further reduce the presence of the SS:

(1) Surround the refrigerator by 1/2" or 3/4" finished end panels that are as deep as the carcass/body of the refrigerator (probably approximately 26").

(2) Then, install a full-depth cabinet (24" deep) over the top of the refrigerator b/w the end panels or pull a standard depth cabinet forward. However, a full-depth will give you more room for storage of seldom used items OR tray storage. I do think, though, better tray storage would be in the 15" base cabinet to the right of the range...with a shelf on top that could hold oversize platters. The drawer above it could hold pot holders.

So, what do I recommend for a MW? I think the island is the best place for it...on the east end either facing the range or facing the sink. If you get a MW drawer, you'll only need a 24" cabinet. If it faces the range, it will be on the periphery along with the refrigerator so that non-kitchen workers will not be underfoot when checking out the refrigerator and either warming up a snack in the MW or popping some popcorn (with the popcorn coming from the 12" deep pantry shelves!)

Range & refrigerator & work space...since the sink is to the left of the range, your primary prepping will be b/w the range & sink or on the island. 15" b/w the range & refrigerator is enough for emergency landing space (and space for handles!) so I think 15", while not ideal, is a good compromise to get a more functional layout in your kitchen.

As to what's the first thing people see coming into your house...if they come in from the garage it will be the island/Breakfast area/FR; if they come in from the front door, it's the patio doors in the Breakfast area and then, if they look in the kitchen, your sink & island. Only if they look 90o will they see the range & refrigerator.

Yes, you will see the refrigerator & range from the FR & Breakfast area. But, with the suggested range hood options above and building in the refrigerator, the appliance/SS presence will be greatly reduced.

Lastly, the mudroom...the "jog" is so little that I do not think it will be a big deal and after a week or two you probably won't even notice anymore!

So, IMHO, of the two layouts presented, I think Layout B is the superior layout in terms of functionality & accessibility. If you handle the range hood as described above & build in the refrigerator, I think your worries about the aesthetics of the layout will be put to rest.

One final question for you...and there's no right or wrong answer, just be honest...what's more important to you Form or Function? (I.e., the "look" of a kitchen or how it functions as a working kitchen?)

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

Oh, B, absolutely, no question. I'd put the MW in the island (easier for the kids to use) and only do 12" deep cabs on the bottom wall. I think island seating is really important, and I personally would do whatever it takes to get it. I don't think people will notice the fridge that much--it's standard kitchen equipment, and people generally just skip over it, in my experience.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Definitely scheme B so your little guys can be working right with mommy during these precious years and not just nearby over at the table, which just isn't the same thing (they do prefer to join you in bed, going potty, and everywhere else, right?) I understand and agree with your negatives somewhat, but really I think they're small peanuts and a good tradeoff for what's gained.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention, IMO how a space looks IS an extremely important function, which belongs with all the other functions on the tradeoff list.

As an empty nester with only the two of us to please, I happily gave aesthetics more weight over concerns of mechanical convenience, i.e, I get to trot across the kitchen to the fridge as a tradeoff for keeping its bulk out of my work space.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

GO WITH B. DON'T DO A!!!!

I echo most of what Buehl said. I'm also living with something similar to A. DON'T do it!! Each and every time you enter your kitchen from the mudroom you MUST walk through your work triangle to reach the fridge. Not bad if it's you BUT if you are working and the kids and company are coming through AND stopping to visit with you, it is a NIGHTMARE!! There is no logical space to stand and chat in layout A but everyone does it anyway. In layout B that wider aisle will encourage traffic to head that way, away from the work triangle. They could stand (or sit at the island) there and visit. Plan on that with company and have what you need out of that fabulous 12" or 15" area. You could build that like a hutch with an opening in the middle for a coffee and tea (water and juice) center further inviting guests that way.

I have the jog from the mudroom to the kitchen and prefer it. It shelters the kitchen a bit and is not bad for bringing in groceries. We don't feel like the 3 Stooges as we come in b/c it provides somewhere to get out of the way of each other as we peel of boots and coats. We have cold winters, don't know if you do. I haven't seen your posts before so I don't know the history but you could do panels on some appliances if you are buying new or plan on replacing with panels in the future. That would avoid the sea of stainless that may or may not end up bothering you.

Layout B shelters your work triangle and you will never regret that!

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

B---and you could probably cheat the island over toward the family room a couple of inches to give you a bit more room at the stove, and make the path to the fridge from the sink a bit more direct. You could line it up with the shallow cabinets or the doorways instead of the sink cabinetry.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Maybe take the ref in the second plan and move it beside the sink run, and take the penalty of the double slider becoming a single door.

The 30" hallway leading to the back door is very narrow- right at the point you are most likely to enter the house bearing bags, boxes and other bulky stuff. The range is really cramped up between the corner and the ref. The distance between the sink and ref is too far for me.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

Two major reasons why I like layout B better:
    When you are standing at the island working, you will see the mudroom wall through the doorway instead of the cubbies. I have 9 kids, and they never hang up their stuff neatly in the mudroom, so I would like having the cubbies around the corner in layout B better.

Second reason I like layout B better is that traffic from the mudroom to the familyroom will be outside of your main work area, instead of cutting between the fridge and island.

• beschenbach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again all for your input - it is really appreciated! Buehl, thanks for chiming in again - your data & info is one of the main reasons scheme A made me think twice!

If you had 13'3", how would you all lay out that wall with the range & fridge. I do want to have enough of an opening to walk from mudroom through. The range is 30", the fridge is 35.75", and the rest will be the countertops. Do you all know what a recommended walkway is? Is 30" too short - I'm thinking that maybe I have to shrink something else to give more walkway space.

Also, a dumb newbie question (I did search but was struggling) - is the investment to switch from an OTR micro to a hood a huge one? I know the microwaves aren't expensive, but are those hoods expensive to buy & install? I don't want to get my heart set on that look (which I do think is much nicer) it it's going to break the bank. Can I do for under $2,000?

• beschenbach
    Original Author
    15 years ago

shameless bump because I think that GW had some technical difficulties around the time of this post, so I don't think pepople could respond. Any help is appreciated! I want to finalize my design and start looking at getting some cabinet quotes...the fun part!

• megradek
    15 years ago

B!!!! for all the reasons already mentioned

and I'm glad you bumped this, because I never saw it earlier this week!!