Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnycottage_gw

Kitchen is painted!

SunnyCottage
9 years ago

You may be sick of my painting updates, but I was pretty thrilled when I got the kitchen completed yesterday afternoon and wanted to share a photo here. Looks like there may be at least one drawer that is not completely closed, still drying. I'll start in on the adjacent breakfast room this week, and so far I'm on schedule to have everything done before the end of summer. Yay!

I'm going to make a valance for the window over the sink using an assortment of vintage potholders. What I'm envisioning is pretty cute - I just hope it turns out as expected!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (47)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ack! Pic didn't come out!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drat!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

looks great! Love your vintage stove. Love your dining set. And I love persian rugs in kitchens!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous transformation, it looks so fresh and airy,
    and that valance seems really nice !!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

the color is perfect with those floors, btw, IMO.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! I really love the room so much more now than when it was full of so much red! I'm eager to replace the black fridge with a white one (have thought about painting the black one - or seeing if there are some sort of fridge "decals" available to disguise the big ugly thing? -- but not sure I want to put that much effort into it). I have a love/hate relationship with the stove. Love the old-fashioned style, but it's temperamental. The rug is actually a cheapie from Overstock ... They sent the wrong size (square instead of rectangle), which we ended up keeping because it actually seems to work fine in the space. Since the mistake was O's, though, they gave us a nice discount so it really was a cheapie rug then!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Looks wonderful!!

So much cooler and fresher in these very hot summer days! :)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree a white fridge would be nicer than the big honkin' hunk o' black there.

Fridge shopping: Another of my least favorite things to do since they're total ripoffs now, along with just about everything else.

I'd suggest that vintage looking fridge that's out there, but they cost a fortune, and all they really are is a new cheapo fridge with a facade.

For my parents' beach house, I found on Craigslist a virtually unused white fridge to replace their old work horse but energy guzzling, ugly fridge. $200! Company that came to take the old fridge away (for free) picked the "new" on up for me (in the next town over) and put it in for me for I think it was $22! Awesome deal.

Anyway, check these out. Something like one of these would be great in your kitchen. Probably cost a fortune, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fridges

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 11:15

• User
    9 years ago

I love it! And, FWIW, I actually had to go back to look for your refrigerator.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 11:24

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would love to have one of the new old-looking fridges, but can't justify spending the $$$ on one though. This is actually the one (made by GE) that I have my eye on. We want a bottom freezer, and I think this one would go well in the kitchen.

Thanks, friends, for your kind words!

• pugga
    9 years ago

1) I never get tired of your pictures. It's a delightful home.
    2) I, too, didn't notice the black fridge until you mentioned it.
    3) That new fridge, though, would be perfect!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ooooh..that fridge is awesome! Go for it! Make sure you get it with doors that open the right way, or at least that the doors are reversible!

• rhomy
    9 years ago

What joy! Cool and refreshing!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much!

Waaaaaay better than this, I think. ;-)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I loved the red and I love the new green and white. You are a real go-getter when it comes to finishing projects. I know you will enjoy the brighter look as a change to your red. I wish I had your energy.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It looks fantastic! And like the others have already said, we never tire of pictures, your or anyone else. I also had to go back to look for the fridge. It does not stand out as awful :)

• User
    9 years ago

Back again... maybe I missed it somewhere else, but what's the new paint color?

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for the kind words!

Shee - the white is BM Indian White and the green is BM Guilford Green.

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

It's like a new space...I think the black fridge looks fine, ties in with the black trim on your counters.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Really looks great! Love your stove, tiles, and the rug with the white and green.

We have a retro-inspired fridge (Big Chill), and it makes me smile every day. They have gone up a bit since we got ours under the energy star rebates.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Great transformation! It doesn't look like the same kitchen with the white cabinets and lovely green walls. The rug really pulls it all together. You must sing when you're in there!

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Oh I could never tire of pics of your house and the updates you accomplish, looove the kitchen! I didn't even notice the black fridge, too busy oogling the luscious white and green combo with kicky saltillo floors. :)

The white fridge is very cute.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Now THAT'S a white kitchen I would love to have! Just gorgeous!

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Wonderful job. Of course I liked the red also.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

You're right, waaay better! good job!

ML

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It's beautiful! I think you found the perfect white fridge as well!

• elleninmaine
    9 years ago

Please don't laugh but a friend glued fabric
    To her refrigerator It was , ahem, very
    Interesting!

• voila
    9 years ago

Such a pretty kitchen. Completely transformed into your new vision. I don't mind your black fridge, either. It seems to recede into the background, but may look different in real life. Wonder if the white fridge would blend in, or stick out more? What ever you do will be perfect.

• peegee
    9 years ago

Love the new look! SunnyC, thank you for including info on the GE Artistry line - it will look great in your kitchen and now I believe it will look good in my new place, too! I REALLY appreciate it!!!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Love it!

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Bravo! It's beautiful, even with the black fridge. Have to agree that in the photo it disappears and also ties in with the black around the room. Maybe use the fridge money to get your temperamental stove serviced? Since you have an old house, is the closet in the corner housing the hot water heater? Are those all cutouts on the door? In any old house I ever lived it the hot water heater was plunked in the corner in all its glory.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Black fridge: I didn't even notice the black fridge when I first looked at your picture, it's placement does that I think.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Looks great! I'm pretty excited to see what a vintage potholder valance looks like.

• jshore
    9 years ago

I love it, it's so warm and charming. I agree with the others, I didn't notice the black fridge, but that GE one really would look great.
    I had a friend who covered her fridge in plaid contact paper and it looked adorable!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well done!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, thank you! You are all so very kind! I must admit that I'm finding it hard to get motivated to tackle the breakfast room now ... I already feel like I've been painting forever, so maybe I just need a short break. We shall see.

I'm glad the general consensus seems to be that the black fridge isn't too much of an eyesore. I think I have "issues" with that fridge because I hate it anyway. We bought it from a coworker of mine who was moving -- at the time, I thought it was just what I wanted, and it seemed to be just like new. But we've pretty much had problems with it from the get-go, so I can't help but wonder if this was a case of a coworker pawning off a known lemon on another coworker - and that thought irks me. But I digress. I do want to get the GE fridge eventually, but you know how it is ... one thing at a time! Peegee, I'm glad you think this fridge will work for you as well!

My vintage potholders arrived yesterday so I attached them to the only tension rod I have (it's gold, I need a white one) and hung everything up. I dunno ... it's a different look, but the more I look at it, the more I like it! I'll post a photo from my phone (easier than loading to my computer) and see if anyone has any suggestions for hanging it differently.

Oh, onedogedie - yes, the hot water heater is indeed behind the door nearest the wall (the other door contains pantry shelves). I'm not wild about it being there, but that's what we're stuck with at present. I'm a little paranoid about it malfunctioning and creating a huge mess, so every time that we've had a plumber to the house (several times over the past few years), I've asked them to check it to make sure it looks ok. So far, so good.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was hard to get a decent photo of this.

This post was edited by SunnyCottage on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 10:23

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Once more without the light on. Definitely need a white rod.

This post was edited by SunnyCottage on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 10:41

• suska6184
    9 years ago

Your potholder idea IS cute, have not seen that before. I would suggest taking a few out so one can see more of what's up there, maybe switching them up occasionally. As is, it seems too heavy IMO.
    Also wondered if the ceiling fan stays. From what I can see, it looks a bit modern for the look you are going for. Perhaps a more vintage style? I have a ceiling fan over my kitchen table, and I can appreciate how nice they to have in that room!
    Nice looking kitchen-I applaud your efforts!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks suska! I may "thin out the herd" of potholders once I rehang them on a white rod. The ceiling fan does stay, and I don't think it's as modern looking in person as it might appear here. It's a Hampton Bay, black with a basic fluted white light kit attached. I don't really like the fan blades - faux oak - and thought about reversing them to the black side but haven't gotten around to doing that yet. DH and I looked at flipping the blades, but it looked like it was going to be a little complicated to actually get to the screws without removing the light kit. I've also considered replacing the fan itself with a white fan which would blend better overall, but that's something that is probably pretty far down on the list in all honesty.

I appreciate your input! Thank you!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Looks great, Jen! How about adding a little *bling* with a few copper pots/pans and removing the black ones? I like seeing a little *sparkle* even in a kitchen. Cute idea with the pot holders.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

The pot holder valance is a cool idea, I might try the smaller ones in the center and the larger ones on each side and see how that looks. Really cute idea though. :)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Hi Jen. Gotta say again how you've amazed me with your work ethic...and the results: FABULOUS! I really love it. So much so, that I want to make a suggestion that I feel would help take it to the look you're going for a bit more ...hope you won't mind. To me, the black hardware isn't quite right. The unpainted knob and pull are from Van Dykes. I am biased, cuz the knobs are what I chose for my somewhat English kitchen. Again, I'd not be making unsolicited suggestions if I didn't love what you've done.
    Knob:

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

This, or something plainer, also from Ban Dykes.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Patty, I will be on the lookout for some copper pieces -- I love that idea, and I actually found some nice pieces - but they're not inexpensive! We need to replace a couple of our much-used skillets anyway, and if I can get DH to agree to copper (he's the chef at our house), then maybe we'll spring for them, one at a time. I've always loved the look of copper in a kitchen.

Ghostlyvision - I'll definitely play around a bit more with the arrangement of the potholders. I had tried to vary them by color, but can see that means they're a bit wonky by size now!

Martiinca - Those chunky round knobs are fabulous and very much what I've been used to finding in the honest-to-goodness English cottages I've stayed in on holiday. Only problem is that with the drill pattern of our current hardware, we'd have to be doing a lot of patching and redrilling, and I'd be afraid we'd never make it look right.

I also thought about something like this (from Van Dyke's - I love that place!):

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

Oooh, I like those from Van Dyke's! They remind me of some jadeite handles that I adore but can't shell out for, those above will tie in very nicely with your counter trim, and such a cute shape.

• bungalow_house
    9 years ago

Love the vintage stuff and the whole makeover! My 1930 kitchen has Guilford Green walls, soft white cabinets, and those same pulls from Van Dyke's, so I may be biased...