Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamaquan

SERGER - which do you recommend?

mamaquan
18 years ago

I want to buy a serger (new or used) to finish seams, home dec , etc. Which brand do you recommend? Or what features will make the machine easy to use?

Your replies will be much appreciated!

Comments (6)

• webfoot88
    18 years ago

I bought a Janome My Lock 204D a year ago. It was a little over $400. It has worked like a gem, not one issue with it. I had to take it in for "help" on the threading. But once I got that down it has been virtually hassle free, except cleaning/oiling/ etc. For an entry level serger I couldn't be happier. I am starting to think I want something fancier w/ more bells and whistles, but it's not because the one I haven doesn't work well. And this one also does beautiful rolled serger hems. I use that a lot for finishing ruffle edges.

My girlfriend wanted a serger but didn't want to spend a lot because she wasn't sure how much she'd use it. And she put a note in the local quilt shop newsletter as "wanted" and had 3 calls w/in a week of people w/ used ones to sell. A lot of people buy them and can't get them threaded, or the tension right, so they give up and let them collect dust.

I think that is the biggest thing to look for. How easy is it to thread (some of the spendier ones are self threading). What kind of support will you get on machine use (an advatage to buying it from a local seller rather than over the internet. They usually will help you out for free, offer classes, do maintance for a year etc....) And how well will it keep it's tension.

I like having the option of a rolled hem because I use it a lot, but if you don't think you'd use it probably not a "must" have.

HAppy shopping!

Tanya

• budster
    18 years ago

I have an older model Pfaff and like it very much. It has served me very well over the years although like the above poster, I would like a few more bells and whistles when I see what the newer models can do.....then I come home and think about it and just keep using the old model. I just can't justify to cost when my old machine has done every job I required. some excellent second hand machines are available and I would suggest you have a look at that market.

• kathielo
    18 years ago

I just got a White Superlock ATS2000 for Christmas. Several people on this site thought it was a good deal when I had asked the same question as mamaquan. It is real easy to thread (the thing I feared the most). However, I've been working on it, practicing with different materials, etc. and I'm a little discouraged. The three things that I wanted the machine for (blind hemming, cover stitching,and elastic application made easy), have eluded me so far. The machine came with both an elastic and a blind hem foot so I had hoped it would be a simple task. WRONG!!!. I think it is going to take a lot more practice. There is no mention of cover stitching in the manual, so I assume the machine does not do it. I think I made a mistake buying online, because although there is an instructional video, there is no place locally that can give me some pointers. I've been calling around and so far have not had any luck. The White Sewing Center that is local, does not even sell White sergers, they sell Bernina and some other one. So my suggestion would be to buy the best one you can, but buy it locally.

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Listen to Kathieo,that's why we always stress buying it locally,and from a reputable dealer,not walmart.If you don't know how to use them the local dealers give you free lessons when you buy and are always there to help you.

I myself have a white 534,that is over 20 years old,and i have the elasticator for mine,but it doesn't do a blind hem,but for me that isn't necessary as my regular sewing machine does that.As for the cover stitch,i'm not even sure what that is.I use mine mostly for just regular serging and rolled hems.I'd be lost without the rolled hem feature.

Kathieo,there are several books on the market to help you with serging,maybe your local library has them,or google serger sewing and see if you can find some help that way.Good luck to you both.
    Kathi

• keepeminstitches
    18 years ago

Kathi, a cover stitch is the double row of straight stitches, about 1/4" apart, that you will see on the hems of many ready-to-wear sportswear garments, like the hems of t-shirts. The backside creates a kind of ladder effect. I love my Viking 936 that does the cover stitch, but they now have machines that do just the cover stitch. The advantage of that is that to convert from overlock to cover stitch involves everything from switching the throat plate to swinging the blade down to removing the stitch finger (on mine, anyway). My other serger, an older White, doesn't do the cover stitch, and if I had more room I'd have it set up for overlocking and use the Viking for just the cover stitch. Alas, this room is too small for all that!

Local dealers are the best way to go. Usually the manuals are pretty poor, and some people learn better by seeing things actually demonstrated, some by reading, some by hearing. There's no one style of learning for everyone, but the advantage of a dealer is you can always go back for a refresher or just call with questions.

Mary

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

Thanks Mary,I guess i never had the need for that because i use a twin needle to hem t-shirts and it looks pretty much like what you are describing.Have done it this way for more years than i care to think about.The secret to doing it this way is in the prep,like everything else we do.
    Thanks again
    kathi

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida