Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

The Silver Swan Settee is Done!

beekeeperswife
10 years ago

What I find interesting is that people actually enjoy sewing. I am not one of those people it turns out.

I bought the fabric while in SC. I had a hunch I needed to go with green. I think it looks right in the living room. Perfect match to the chair, not that I was trying to do that.

I should have sent my fabric to our resident seamstress so I would have had a perfect fit, but I guess this way it looks more relaxed and less fussy! Yeah, I keep telling myself that.

So, here you go, the mystery settee with its new outfit.

Comments (41)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is the arm

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

not really sure about the pillows, had those already, I think I'm going to make (ugh, yes I just said that) some pillows for the settee.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Really, REALLY looks great.

ML

• User
    10 years ago

Looks great (I am partial to that color green)!

Try BB&B for pillow covers (in the same section as the accent pillows). I found some in aqua that I used to slip my dark brown pillows into.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

I think it looks great! Well done! It's such a cool piece in your room.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

It's fabulous, and I like the pillows with it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That looks marvelous! You really do have a good eye and I love that settee. Really, the swans are the perfect touch.

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Perfection!

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

I think it looks great! And those pillows look right, too, with the coordinating colors in the rug, so you really shouldnâÂÂt worry about making more, unless you really want to. I personally think it looks perfect as is......

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Very nice! And I love the yummy colors in your room.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Super cute! I'm so glad you didn't paint it. The tortoise-y finish is one of the best things about it.

• pps7
    10 years ago

Very nice and the pillows are perfect. If you want to add more pillows, you can add a pair of solid aqua ones.

Are you going to center the coffee table on the settee?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

It looks really nice. I love it on that rug.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Man! That's fantastic. The metal accents really bring it up a notch.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

I always enjoy seeing your latest projects, and this is no exception. Looks great!

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

It looks great, I love it! Love the color, the swans, the caning, mmm. You did a wonderful job, sure wish I could sew!

Beautiful room, it looks perfect. :)

• natesgram
    10 years ago

You sure had a good eye for matching up the green fabric. Looks perfect. Did you have to do anything to touch up the caning? Love the character of the piece and you did a fantastic job on the cushion.

• User
    10 years ago

LOVE the fabric, and the settee strikes just the right vintage note that's different from anything else you have in the room. Good job!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Looks terrifiic, and tg pillows look great--together with the cushion, they pick up the rug's colors. Really ties it all together.

• User
    10 years ago

What a beautiful outcome :D Loved following this project from start .............to waiting for the store to open.............to packing it in the vehicle...........................to its beautiful resting place.

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

Fantastic! Such a wonderful piece, and your color choices are right on--even though I'm never that bold. I also love the geometric pillows you have there. Thanks so much for sharing your great find and how you used it! ...especially loved seeing you squeeze it into the car. :-) What's amazing to me is that you got that settee, the cushion fabric and foam, AND made the cushion---all before the next century rolled in! Impressive! Now that, I'd like to learn how to do!

• pokyhoky
    10 years ago

What a beautiful finished piece!

I'm with you on the sewing. My girls cringe when I bring out the Singer .... no hot meals + lots of bad words for a week!

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Love it-- it looks as though it's always been there. You have a great mix in the room-- everything is perfect!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    10 years ago

Amazing, what a find, and great job with the cushion. I love that color, and think the pillows are terrific.

• User
    10 years ago

wonderful wonderful wonderful ! You have such a great eye !! And you sew good too :) c

• mrsmortarmixer
    10 years ago

It looks great!

• rosie
    10 years ago

What a treasure! I do think a slightly "relaxed" look suits it very, very well. :)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are so sweet! To clarify, the cushion is the same one, but I unzipped the old plaid cover, and just reused the foam. It was in great shape and had no smells so I used it. I really wish the sewing was better, but hey, it is what it is.

pps7, you would probably like to know that I had already taken this photo a few nights ago---the aqua ones are from my deck!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Bee, I read through quickly. It is such a wonderful piece in that room, with the wooden floor. I wondered if you've decided not to paint it? (She asked hoping it was so...)

Check out this fabric I've linked below for pillow possibilities. It has several of your rug colors in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marimekko Fabric

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my3dogs, yep, I kind of like it not painted. I like that fabric too! Thanks for the tip. I did buy some other fabric that also has the rug colors in it. Not sure I'll make pillows with it though...maybe I'll try something else....oh mannnn, does that mean more sewing???

• LanaRoma
    10 years ago

Love your palette and the settee looks fabulous in your setting!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

If you made the upholstered cushion cover, a pillow or two will be a walk in the park!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

I'm impressed, Bee, once again. I sew a little and hey, that looks pretty darn good: the edge can be called "fluted".

Your settee is a beauty: old rattan and those swans. :) I'm hard at search looking for a small one (five feet or under) for my kitchen eating space. You've inspired me to keep up the search.

Nice job.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Great job. I love your decorating style. The colors in your living room are fabulous! Your whole house is fabulous! I love hearing about your searches for just the right piece for this or that room. Keep on posting.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Gorgeous. Your swan setee is one of the nicest pieces I have had the pleasure to see. Well done!

• Cheen
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

I'm so glad you didn't paint it. The tortoiseshell shows up so much better in these latest pictures and it looks wonderful.

Am I the only one who likes the motif on the back to show? I like it with just 2 red and white pillows. Just me?

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Love it! It has a delightful mix of presence without heaviness.

How did you learn to sew? Is that PIPING??? (Or whatever that's called . . .)

Cheen, I agree. I love to see the motif!

• Totally.Clueless
    10 years ago

I like it with the pillows on it! Looks great!

• equest17
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful, and your dislike for sewing certainly doesn't show in this ambitious project!

You must be quite accomplished to have undertaken a box cushion. You may well know all the tricks of the trade, but I know I had a steep learning curve with cushion covers. FWIW, one tip I was taught in an upholstery class is to cut the welt fabric (aka box band) to the exact height of the cushion (basically, no seam allowance). If your cushion is four inches thick, then your welt panel is only four inches wide. Allow for a half inch seam allowance on the top and bottom panels and sew as usual, with cording if desired. You have to put the foam in a plastic trash bag and suck the air out with a vacuum to get it to shrink down enough to fit in the cover, but it makes for a nice, tight cushion.

• loribee
    10 years ago

It looks AMAZING....!

• teeda
    10 years ago

Wow, you have an incredible eye. That settee looks amazing in your space. You did a great job with the cushion as well. One of a kind treasure, for sure!